Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Too Good to Be True: A Variable-Stroke Polishing Machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Baton_Rouge_pro View Post
    Look at the body - it`s the same freakin thing, and that red one is over 20 year old, a relic. My point is, did they just find some cheap Asian source for an old tool and put their new head on it? - no wonder it`s gonna weight 10 lbs.

I remember seeing it when it first came out, it looked good, they talked about it being comfortable with some sort of feature to make it easier to hold (that`s gone), it had a cord that actually went UP - made sense since we toss the cord over our shoulder (that`s gone) and it looked cool (that`s gone). I don`t know what happened but its like this is a completely different thing. Lots of power is good and the 4 + rotary is good but one reason I bought my Rupes is cause it feels great when I`m holding it for an hour, this doesn`t look comfortable at all.

I mean, I don`t wanna knock it, but c`mon, for $700???
    You could say the same for Griots 15/21, Rupes 15/21, 3401, Dewalts, ect as they all use about the same basic body style & length. One more choice for ppl.......

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve thought about this polisher a lot since I tried it at MTE, and I still can`t help but feel a bit pessimistic on its outlook. The vibration of the long-throw action is an immediate deal breaker, and I don`t see how they can balance different throws on the spot without a compromise that makes the tool unattractive to everyone already used to smooth and balanced long-throw polishing. Unless they engineer some sort of quick disconnect setup like the Flex PXE that lets you swap out the counterbalance assembly with the backing plate, I don`t know. I can`t accept a tradeoff of both a heavier tool and a noticeable bump in vibration feedback, especially when the market is moving towards more mobile cordless polishers that are still relatively lightweight.

Love the concept, and I know they`ve been working crazy hard on this tool over the last few years, and I would love something that can switch from rotary to long-throw with a few easy twists, but not with the current compromises. Hopefully the delay is them still working on fine tuning the balancing of the long-throw action. The polisher I used at MTE earlier this year was not ready for market in my opinion without noticeable adjustments.
    WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews
    Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    ...... Unless they engineer some sort of quick disconnect setup like the Flex PXE that lets you swap out the counterbalance assembly with the backing plate, I don`t know. I can`t accept a trade-off of both a heavier tool and a noticeable bump in vibration feedback, especially when the market is moving towards more mobile cordless polishers that are still relatively lightweight......
    There, you have solved the problem for them!! But by the time this innovation is perfected and introduced, you have also identified how the detailing consumer market for polishing machines has changed, thus "obsoleting" this innovation. I, too, have doubts about its viability and now its marketability, as you have accurately accessed and described. Still, I, too LOVE the concept; the do-everything polisher!

Hard to believe this thread was started by me almost two years ago in October of 2018 and still waiting for this machine`s arrival in some form. Then again, as I said in previous post in this thread, perfection takes time!

Hey, I thought that a variable-compression internal combustion engine was technically impossible, until the engineers at Infinity/Nissan have developed, produced, and are selling this piston internal combustion engine innovation. You can buy it today, even in the Altima. Not sure how long this internal combustion engine technology will survive and be allowed to be sold, given all vehicles are going (or more precisely, have gone!) to electric drives. Funny, what is happening in the vehicle market is transcending to the polishing machines market!
    GB detailer
    Likes Loach liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I heard it`s DOA - that the vibration can`t be solved and that the weight is over 10lbs. Someone on here commented on the same problem I saw last year. All of a sudden it didn`t look the same anymore, then I tried the newer looking one at MTE and it was clunky. Not good.
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I go back to my original idea of making two separate multi-stroke machines, one with two "long strokes" of 21mm and 15mm stroke and different one with two "short strokes" of 12mm and 8mm (or 9mm). If the engineering design physics and price point parameters are too much to overcome with current technology, it might be time to reconsider what what IS feasible and marketable for the detailing professional.

I still like the concept of a user-selectable wide range mutli-stoke polishing machine, but it is just that..a concept. As we have seen, engineering reality is another.
    I am also reminded that Thomas Edison tried over 1,000 materials and prototypes before discovering the carbon filament for the electric light bulb that worked and had the longevity and brightness that consumers would want and pay for. When asked why he tried so many materials and made so many prototypes, he said, "Well, now I know of 999 things that will not work!"
    Lighting has gone from tungsten filament bulbs, to neon, to fluorescent, to mercury vapor, to halogen, to HID/xenon, and now Light-Emitting Diode (LED).
    GB detailer
    Likes Baton_Rouge_pro liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It’s a good idea. The weight (in the most recent videos) and the price has definitely lost my interest. It looks like your are polishing paint with a giant brick.

To Lake Country: you make great buffing pads.....continue to do so and let the polisher companies make polishers.

to be fair I haven’t tried the UDOS so maybe it’s a light feeling 7+ pounds.

Post Thanks / Like

Starting to sound like one of those weird sockets that supposedly fits any nut, or the car you can use as a boat. The reality is they don’t work particularly well at any task.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information