Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Too Good to Be True: A Variable-Stroke Polishing Machine?

Heh heh, you guys who`ll consider snatching one up Just Because are a vendors dream

RANGERBAY- Hey, that "mobile Detailers" observation is something I hadn`t considered, you might be onto something there.

Oh, and Welcome to Autopia!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justins00ss View Post
    I may end up grabbing one for hell of it when it`s released.
    You know, MAYBE Lake Country (LC), who is developing and marketing this polishing machine, should "lend out" the prototypes to some of you professional detailers for "beta testing" and gather their thoughts and opinions about this machine. Then again, maybe this is already being done, and those that have it cannot say anything due to confidentiality agreements. Justin00ss, you should be on that list!
    Hmmmm......

Since I am the Original Poster (OP) of this thread, I am glad that someone is addressing a design challenge for polishing machine with a variable stroke that I thought had a marketing potential.
    My next design feature I would like to see in a polishing machine is small digital readout of the RPMs or Orbits/oscillations per second AND the force or load being applied in pounds (or newtons, for the metric-centric customers), even if it is at the spindle and not the edge of the pad, because of various backing plate and pad diameters that may be interchangeable and used on one machine. Incorporating a load cell with a rotating spindle in a small package might be akin to developing perpetual motion machine. I could see this digital readout, however, as being more applicable to a rotary and, hence, making that type of machine more novice user-friendly (are you listening Festool, Flex, Makita, Rupes, and DeWalt?).
    GB detailer
    Likes JRW67 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am the Original Poster and am bumping this thread to see if anyone has heard about a release date for this variable-stroke polisher OR if anyone has received one for beta testing. This is a very intriguing polisher that has piqued my interest, but until I read and see some reviews from fellow Autopians , I will withhold judgement about a purchase.

Many of you hobbyist are on the fence about upgrading to a newer, better polishing machine, and with the recent development of newer or upgrades to polishing machines from Rupes and now Lake County, it just makes that decision on which to buy more difficult. Long throw, forced rotation , rotary, and now variable-stroke.

That is why I am reaching out to this Autopain community to post their experiences with these new or upgrades polishing machines. It will help me decide which one I may purchase and spend my detailing funds wisely. I am still up in the air about that decision.

Truth be told, I am leaning toward a rotary, even though there is a STEEP learning curve to master. WHY? It gets the job done with the most efficiency and offers the most versatility when paired with smaller-sized (interchangeable) backing plates. That may prove to be very cost-effective for myself. BUT now we have this new variable-stroke polisher.. . something that I wished would be invented and engineered MANY years ago when the first long-stroke DA`s came out and now it is reality (sort of!). I still think that two different sized polishers is the way to go; 21mm and 15mm stroke with a 5 inch and 6 inch backing plate AND a 8mm and 12mm stroke with a 3" and 4" backing plate
    GB detailer
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Just think, Lonnie - One has to have multiple machines with different sized stroke, and most if not all, don`t have a way to use the smallest backing plate, and certainly no spacer between the machine and the backing plate..

And then you have the other machine; no need of fancy strokes, etc., you can put a little metal spacer on it and then see the work easier, because the pad is spaced farther away from the machine, you can use any sized backing plate and pad, down to 1-inch size..

There is no vibration that wrecks your carpal tunnel, much quieter, the absolute smoothest motor ever, and it has the ability to correct anything, polish anything, will work all day and never overheat, and can give you absolutely flat, clear, glossy paint all day long..

There is a strong reason why all the people who make automobiles, trucks, all the boats, huge trucks and their cabs, airplanes, every bus, and on and on, use what ? - Rotary Power - at the assembly stage and then on-going for maintenance..

When was the - first - time you ever saw a Jet Black Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Porsche, etc., Airplane, Boat, 18-wheeler, etc., come from the Factory all swirled up ??

1 machine does it all ..

It`s not really hard to learn how to use it if you really want to know how..

The question I always ask people about things that are really important to them - "How BAD do You Really Want to do/learn This??? "
    Dan F
    Likes Lonnie, Strong66 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, wish one of you Rotary-Meisters would buy mine...they`ll probably go to Goodwill when I die.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Eh, wish one of you Rotary-Meisters would buy mine...they`ll probably go to Goodwill when I die.
    It better not be anytime soon!!! This forum would simply NOT be the same without you, Accumulator. Heck, the number of posts would be cut in half and I would have "less" to read each day (or whenever I get around to checking in on this forum).
    GB detailer
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    It better not be anytime soon!!! This forum would simply NOT be the same without you, Accumulator. Heck, the number of posts would be cut in half and I would have "less" to read each day (or whenever I get around to checking in on this forum).
    Heh heh, thanks. I don`t plan on checking out any time soon. But it *does* bug me that those presumably fine polishers just sit unused while others might appreciate `em. If I predecease Accumulatorette, I do wonder whether she`ll hop on these forums to find new homes for my Detailing stuff...that *would* be a huge PIA compared to just clearing it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Rotary option now added:

https://youtu.be/0KJb1paULk4

not sure if everyone saw that.

Makes the machine rather appealing to me now!
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Rotary option now added:

https://youtu.be/0KJb1paULk4

not sure if everyone saw that.

Makes the machine rather appealing to me now!
    Now that is a big step and certainly makes it more interesting and versitale even more.

Post Thanks / Like

Now with a rotary option?? Now it really IS too good to be true!

That`s what good engineers do; make the impossible possible. Or as they say in mechanical design, "Putting 10 pounds of `crap` in a 5 pound bag!"

Or WHY you cannot get your hand in a modern day vehicle engine bay and need to remove half of the accessory components just to change a spark plug. "You gotta give up something to get something." Engineering design is ALWAYS a compromise. We can design it; you just cannot manufacture (make) it or service it easily or economically!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: Too Good to Be True: A Variable-Stroke Polishing Machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Now with a rotary option?? Now it really IS too good to be true!

That`s what good engineers do; make the impossible possible. Or as they say in mechanical design, "Putting 10 pounds of `crap` in a 5 pound bag!"

Or WHY you cannot get your hand in a modern day vehicle engine bay and need to remove half of the accessory components just to change a spark plug. "You gotta give up something to get something." Engineering design is ALWAYS a compromise. We can design it; you just cannot manufacture (make) it or service it easily or economically!
    Something tells me they don`t know what the heck they`re doing - it`s been like 3 years since they said "We have a tool, we have a tool." Since then I bought a Rupes AND a Griots so I`ll pass.
    I also don`t like that I saw an old Taiwanese grinder that looks EXACTLY like this thing except red!! What`d they do, put a fancy head on an old grinder and call it a day, and then wait 36 months! Yikes. Did I see somewhere that thing thing weighs 10lbs, most of it up front in the head? Umm, no thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Things that make you go hmmmm. lol

Too Good to Be True: A Variable-Stroke Polishing Machine?-download.jpgToo Good to Be True: A Variable-Stroke Polishing Machine?-agp-rp160.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Baton_Rouge_pro View Post
    Things that make you go hmmmm. lol

Too Good to Be True: A Variable-Stroke Polishing Machine?-download.jpg
    So what does Hummmmm mean? You have a picture of a UDOS and a rotary, what`s the point?

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: Too Good to Be True: A Variable-Stroke Polishing Machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    So what does Hummmmm mean? You have a picture of a UDOS and a rotary, what`s the point?
    Look at the body - it`s the same freakin thing, and that red one is over 20 year old, a relic. My point is, did they just find some cheap Asian source for an old tool and put their new head on it? - no wonder it`s gonna weight 10 lbs.

I remember seeing it when it first came out, it looked good, they talked about it being comfortable with some sort of feature to make it easier to hold (that`s gone), it had a cord that actually went UP - made sense since we toss the cord over our shoulder (that`s gone) and it looked cool (that`s gone). I don`t know what happened but its like this is a completely different thing. Lots of power is good and the 4 + rotary is good but one reason I bought my Rupes is cause it feels great when I`m holding it for an hour, this doesn`t look comfortable at all.

I mean, I don`t wanna knock it, but c`mon, for $700???

Post Thanks / Like

Given the choice, it would be best for UDOS to be great as a DA in all throws which would guarantee value to owners vs. buying a $700 Rotary with awkward DA functionality. But I’d be shocked if the UDOS excelled at both

A Swiss Army knife is most often used for it’s knife, then less so for it’s screwdriver, and using its scissors is nearly non-existent. While it can be used for all and more, it’s not near the best or most comfortable for any.

Can’t say this will be the case with UDOS, but history isn’t kind to multi-function-power-tools. Time will tell and I might get one, but I won’t be an early adopter.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information