Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar`s DA training class?

Anyone take a Meguiar`s class or have info about them? I signed up for the Intro to Paint Care & D/A Polishing class this weekend in Irvine CA since it`s not far from home and more importantly it`s "FREE".. However i`m not sure how much training is actually involved or if it`s just a long sales pitch for the new kids on the block so they can push there product. It`s odd how there is very little info about the class or what it covers for a 7 hour class.

I`m not positive, but I think Meguiar`s is a leading brand in the detailing industry with lots of great products. I personally have never used them, but I see the name used a lot...
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiar`s DA training class?

LGHT -
    Yes, Meguiar`s has been around a long time, since 1901 = 117 years..
    They have been making and growing several different "lines" of products forever..

I especially like their all purpose cleaners, degreasers, and wheel cleaners..

Their M105 and M205 compound and polish, were the thing to get about 15 years ago.. I still like to use M105 on a foam pad to clean up scratched tail lights and headlights..

I believe this company revived the Detailing industry back when it was really going nowhere, with lots of TV and radio Marketing, and of course they kept putting out new products.
    They used to make everything.. I remember using a really good odor eliminator long ago, before anyone else even thought about making something like that..

Just look at the Autopia Store here and see all the different lines of products under Meguiars...
    Last I heard, the one family member, Barry Meguiar sold the company to 3M..

I know nothing about the class, sorry.. If it`s free and you have the time, and it`s even in Irvine, heck I would go, just to see their Shop..
    And you might run into some really good guys there and some Pros as well.. One can never have too many Detailer friends...
    Dan F
    Likes LGHT, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    LGHT -
    Yes, Meguiar`s has been around a long time, since 1901 = 117 years..
    They have been making and growing several different "lines" of products forever..

I especially like their all purpose cleaners, degreasers, and wheel cleaners..

Their M105 and M205 compound and polish, were the thing to get about 15 years ago.. I still like to use M105 on a foam pad to clean up scratched tail lights and headlights..

I believe this company revived the Detailing industry back when it was really going nowhere, with lots of TV and radio Marketing, and of course they kept putting out new products.
    They used to make everything.. I remember using a really good odor eliminator long ago, before anyone else even thought about making something like that..

Just look at the Autopia Store here and see all the different lines of products under Meguiars...
    Last I heard, the one family member, Barry Meguiar sold the company to 3M..

I know nothing about the class, sorry.. If it`s free and you have the time, and it`s even in Irvine, heck I would go, just to see their Shop..
    And you might run into some really good guys there and some Pros as well.. One can never have too many Detailer friends...
    Dan F
    Thanks for the info. Wow I didn`t know they were that old and big. With all the products and names it`s hard to tell what`s good and what`s not and it seems they sale meguires at target so I wasn`t sure if it was as good as Turtle wax or not. Apparently their headquarters is in Irvine, but it`s a small 2 story dedicated building with a 1 car garage.

I just hope it`s not like those free trips you get when you sign up to consider buying a time share!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
    Thanks for the info. Wow I didn`t know they were that old and big. With all the products and names it`s hard to tell what`s good and what`s not and it seems they sale meguires at target so I wasn`t sure if it was as good as Turtle wax or not. Apparently their headquarters is in Irvine, but it`s a small 2 story dedicated building with a 1 car garage.

I just hope it`s not like those free trips you get when you sign up to consider buying a time share!
    LGHT --
    That is funny !!! I am sure they are not going to want to sell you a time share....
    Yes, nobody has more products than Meguiars... But not to worry... That is why we are here to advise you..

If Mike Phillips is at this event, he will be talking about the work involved using their product line... Other guys there I am sure, can also speak on this very well..
    They are so big, the don`t need to hard-sell people...

If I lived close by I would go just to look around their place..

The Company I used to work for long ago used to have a big Headquarters and Call Center Campus in Irvine.. AirTouch Cellular which later became Verizon Wireless..
    I always loved coming down there for meetings.. Irvine is such a nice place...
    Yes, its not Newport Beach, but it is still a nice place too..
    Dan F
    Likes LGHT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Check it out. You will find out more when you go and I think it will be a good experience. As a matter of fact check out their Thursday Night Garage as well. They post pictures on their forum of what they do in those classes.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Stokdgs, LGHT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The only info online about the class is "Meguiar`s "Intro to Paint Care & D/A Polishing" Training Class is an in depth overview of Meguiar`s 5 Step Paint Care Cycle & proper use of Meguiar`s MT300 Dual Action Polisher. We also cover basic Interior Care, Wheel/Tire Care, and more. Learn techniques the pros use to achieve a show car finish on your car!"

I guess it will be pretty informal so no workbook or anything for the full 6 hours. Either way since I have never touched a polisher any info will be more than I know now. Plus the wife just got more bumper rash on her car so it now has bumper rash in 3 spots and it`s a good time to buy a polisher!
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
    ... Either way since I have never touched a polisher any info will be more than I know now. ...
    That was the first thing I thought of when you posted the chance for a free class. Any exposure you can get to the process in person I think will be a great asset when you get to put a polisher to your own car. If the class is 6 hours, you sure think you`d get to spend some time behind a polisher. Even if you don`t go with Meguiars products when you build your own arsenal, the basic concepts will still apply to whatever you do go with.

And it`s free!
    Likes LGHT, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Chemical guys have classes on polishing which they used to offer in the main store in Gardena and also in Santa Ana I believe. I took one many years ago and it was helpful. There are also periodic in depth classes at detailing.com, which is on Rockfield between lake forest drive and bake. It’s a great place to buy products and the guys there are really helpful.
    Likes Stokdgs, LGHT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMD View Post
    Chemical guys have classes on polishing which they used to offer in the main store in Gardena and also in Santa Ana I believe. I took one many years ago and it was helpful. There are also periodic in depth classes at detailing.com, which is on Rockfield between lake forest drive and bake. It’s a great place to buy products and the guys there are really helpful.
    I actually looked into both places and ironically I found out about the meguires class from John at detailing.com. It seems both those classes have a fee and are designed for people who already know how to use a polisher or at least already has some experience. This was perfect for me mainly because it was free, but more importantly was a very basic class that gave me some basic understanding and hands on! I`ll post more info about the class in a review.

Thread Information