Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie questions

Longtime member, third time poster...

I just purchased a used 2016 C7 Corvette a few weeks ago. It`s black and the paint has been really badly neglected. There are only a few deeper scratches. Most of the damage seems to be in the clear coat.

I`ve never done any serious paint correction. The extent of my experience is some hand polishing and waxing. I`ve never use a polisher of any kind.

I`d like to attempt to correct the paint myself. I`m a patient guy and not looking for a quick fix. I`ve read many posts here about newbies (like me) making things worse because they have no experience. That`s the last thing I want. My goal is to learn and get the paint of this car back to where it should be. Even if that means a long learning process and work on the car.

I`m considering the picking up the Porter Cable 7424XP and maybe a kit from the store here. My questions are:

• Is buying a bundle a good approach to getting started?
    • Am I asking for trouble by attempting this with no experience?
    • What`s my best approach to learning good technique?
    • What other questions should I be asking myself?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie questions

Get the grits 6" instead of porter cable you`ll get better correction once you get a 5" backing plate for it

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Mary B, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just what civicclutch said. I went from the 7424 to the GG6. Big difference
    Likes Mary B, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Or get something even more effective like a Griot`s Boss15.

wOrM- Welcome to Autopia!

I`d bet anything that this isn`t the answer you`re after but..I recommend doing more research, a lot more, and educating yourself about this before you buy. It`s not all that complicated but there are things you simply need to know to make an informed decision.

IMO the vast majority of newcomers expect the polisher (any polisher) to be *MUCH* more efficient than it is. While anything that moves a pad around will be effective (including your hand without a polisher), it can take *FOREVER* to do this stuff and being TIME-efficient can be very important. IF something takes hours and hours to accomplish even a minor improvement, it`ll get old fast.

I sure wouldn`t buy a PC..of any vintage, even the XP...as life is just too short. Doubt I`ll ever touch either of mine again, although they`re almost OK with little 3" pads.
    Likes Mary B, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the replies so far. This is very helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by w0rM View Post
    I just purchased a used 2016 C7 Corvette a few weeks ago.

I`m considering the picking up the Porter Cable 7424XP and maybe a kit from the store here. My questions are:

• Is buying a bundle a good approach to getting started?
    • Am I asking for trouble by attempting this with no experience?
    • What`s my best approach to learning good technique?
    • What other questions should I be asking myself?

Welcome & Congrats on the new car!!

I wrote a novel earlier and the power went out and lost all my work......so now the cliff notes.

- Bundling will get you items that you need and items that you don`t. I started off with the Griots 6 inch DA and the machine compounds and polishes (old versions) I never use them nor do I like them (love the BOSS creams though)
    - No, you can do this with proper care. I was on the forums constantly (thanks guys) and endless hours on youtube watching "how to" videos. Started off practicing on my truck and girlfriend`s car before I would touch my C7.
    - Make sure you have plenty of pads. I would say 6ish each (compound / polish) and different sizes as well. I can`t speak for all C7 paint but I know mine was on the harder side so I had to go a little more aggressive. Tape the plastic! I found out the hard way. It is very time consuming and daunting, but the time it saves in the end is worth it, once you get better you may be able to skip this process. I would also say that if you don`t plan on continuing your detail interest, it would be more cost efficient to have a pro do it. Another option would be to have a pro do it the first time while you hone your skill, OR if you live close to someone on the forum, I`m sure they would be wiling to help.... its just that kind of community on here.

Hope this helps
    Likes Mary B, SWETM, w0rM, Stokdgs, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Does the XP still have that hollow shaft? The one that snapped on Barry and nearly did serious damage? Thank goodness it was *him* running that thing, most people would`ve been looking at a trip to the body/paint shop. Serious design flaw IMO...
    Likes w0rM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

WashRinseRepeat, that was a HUGE help!

I know I could save time and money by having a pro do it for me but I really enjoy the process of detailing. I don`t drive my C7 that much. It`s mostly a weekend toy so I don`t mind if this takes hours, weeks or even months to do. I`d like to learn.

Sadly, in Little Rock, there doesn`t seem to be many skilled professionals. When a "pro" tells me he can get it done in 3 hours, I know he doesn`t know what he`s talking about. By my estimate, based on the condition of the paint, I believe I`m probably looking at a minimum of 8 to 10 hours of work to get a 85% to 90% correction.

I may practice a little on my Honda Accord first. It`s white so the paint is pretty forgiving.

Thanks again for taking the time to post. I really appreciate it.
    Likes Stokdgs, WashRinseRepeat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Like Accumulator mentioned above, really best to get a quality machine to begin with like the Griots boss 15....Get 6+ 5.5`` m/f pads as well as their foam pads... I <3 using Wolfgang`s uber compound w/ the finishing glaze. Use a good technique & take your time & I`m very sure you`ll be surprised of your results.
    Likes w0rM liked this post
    Thanks w0rM thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

WashRinseRepeat, that was a HUGE help!

I know I could save time and money by having a pro do it for me but I really enjoy the process of detailing. I don`t drive my C7 that much. It`s mostly a weekend toy so I don`t mind if this takes hours, weeks or even months to do. I`d like to learn.

Sadly, in Little Rock, there doesn`t seem to be many skilled professionals. When a "pro" tells me he can get it done in 3 hours, I know he doesn`t know what he`s talking about. By my estimate, based on the condition of the paint, I believe I`m probably looking at a minimum of 8 to 10 hours of work to get a 85% to 90% correction.

I may practice a little on my Honda Accord first. It`s white so the paint is pretty forgiving.

Thanks again for taking the time to post. I really appreciate it.
    wOrM --
    Welcome to the Forum ! Great advice above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ !!!

You are so correct - One highly skilled, seasoned, totally dialed in, and wise, Detailer will never be able to completely correct your Black car or any car for that matter in 3 hours.. If this person that told you 3 hours is using the cheap swirl and fill products, the fillers will all wash out soon, and you will be looking at the original defects still there in the paintwork..

Your estimate of 8-10 hours for 1 person is actually very close, and I use Rotary Power..

Best advice I can offer is for you to find another black vehicle, or get a big black hood off a Mercedes or something, to practice on, until you are seeing the results you are wanting to achieve..

Nothing, I repeat, nothing, you ever watch on the internet will ever be the reality you experience when you do this yourself...

Hopefully your new C7 is all original paint and that will help..
    Dan F
    Likes WashRinseRepeat, w0rM liked this post
    Thanks w0rM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been helped through this forum so much, just trying to give back when I can.

Like Stokdgs stated, practice, practice, practice! Don`t know if you`re interested, but there`s a 2 day detailing course hosted by Mike Philips not to far from you in Memphis the 24th and 25th of Aug. I`m actually attending that class.
    Likes Stokdgs, w0rM liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WashRinseRepeat View Post
    I`ve been helped through this forum so much, just trying to give back when I can.

Like Stokdgs stated, practice, practice, practice! Don`t know if you`re interested, but there`s a 2 day detailing course hosted by Mike Philips not to far from you in Memphis the 24th and 25th of Aug. I`m actually attending that class.
    Great News, WashRinseRepeat !!!!!!

Any time you can get an experienced professional to watch you work and help you work better, there is really no comparison..
    Remember long, long, ago, there was a lot of "on the job training" going on, that had to have helped so many people...

Thank you for finding this class ! You are absolutely giving back !!!
    Dan F
    Likes WashRinseRepeat, w0rM liked this post
    Thanks WashRinseRepeat thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Stokdgs! I like the idea of working on a another black car part. I see what I can find around.

Thanks for the great advice! I do believe all the paint is original on my C7 except for the rear spoiler. It`s clearly been repainted.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WashRinseRepeat View Post

That sounds pretty cool. How do I sign up for that?

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds pretty cool. How do I sign up for that?
    Won`t lie, it`s not cheap but I think the initial cost will pay for itself in the long run. Especially for me as I am retiring in 5 years and am considering opening a detail shop.

Here`s the link: https://www.autogeek.net/ag-roadshow-opt.html
    Likes w0rM, Stokdgs liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information