Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie questions

Quote Originally Posted by WashRinseRepeat View Post
    Won`t lie, it`s not cheap but I think the initial cost will pay for itself in the long run. Especially for me as I am retiring in 5 years and am considering opening a detail shop.

Here`s the link: https://www.autogeek.net/ag-roadshow-opt.html
    Oh, it IS expensive! Probably out of price range right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Understandable, I`ve been saving up for a while now.

Long shot idea..... I know Mike request cars for these events, maybe you could call, have it detailed for free AND stick around "to see what`s being done to your baby". Just a thought, but I know you want to detail it yourself.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Understandable, I`ve been saving up for a while now.

Long shot idea..... I know Mike request cars for these events, maybe you could call, have it detailed for free AND stick around "to see what`s being done to your baby". Just a thought, but I know you want to detail it yourself.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Interesting idea. It would be worth it if i was able to see what he was doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Mmmm. So reading this thread has me thinking.
    Griots BIG difference over the PC 7242XP?? How?
    OP I have the starter PC and after what it did to my dads ack equinox... it’s a pretty damn good corrector... in my very novice opinion...

I do like spending and having the best, especially if it makes things easier. So I’ll read more and pry minds here. Maybe sell mine in a year or two and upgrade lol. I can be persuaded
    (Mental note. Neighbour said he has a rupes?? Maybe I’ll ask to try so I can compare. Lol

Phats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2000 silver GT mustang..selling

2004 odyssey eXL-res- silver

2005 accord EXL- silver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by w0rM View Post
    ... based on the condition of the paint, I believe I`m probably looking at a minimum of 8 to 10 hours of work to get a 85% to 90% correction..
    Heh heh, wonder if I`ve ever corrected a vehicle (that I cared about) that fast...can`t imagine that I have. But then it takes me about half that to do a good regular Maintenance Wash. IF I work really, *really* fast.

I`m a *BIG* advocate of newbies doing the "one panel at a time" approach- just doing a panel (OK..or two) after each of a series of regular washes and then doing a final all-over LSPing when it`s all been corrected. Just concentrate on a limited amount of work that won`t be overwhelming and won`t take so long that you lose focus, do that small area right, and let it take as long as it takes. And if anything starts to go haywire *STOP* (before it *has* gone haywire) and figure things out lest you make it worse instead of better. Note that you need to know your [stuff] to spot that sort of thing before it`s too late.

HAVE THE RIGHT INSPECTION CONDITIONS. Utterly critical IMO. I`d buy the right lighting before I bought a polisher since you can`t even see what needs doing without it.

On "how to get dialed-in", I gather I`m a complete outlier and might as well keep my opinions to myself (at least this time), but I really don`t think it`s wise to go about this stuff without first developing the requisite knowledge base. We *are* talking about the risk of irreparable damage..or at least the kind of damage that can only be fixed with a paintgun. It`s not all *that* tough of a subject compared to a lot of skills that people develop, but the time/effort involved to understand it can be considerable, just like any other subject. How long did it take to get proficient at [something you`re really, *REALLY* good at]? Detailing a car is probably as involved as whatever that [something] is, but people sometimes assume it`s more simple than it is. Which goes 100X for "how to wash a car", which is the most important part of Detailing, period IMO (if only because if you keep marring the paint the polishing is pointless in the long run). But that`s another rant..I mean "topic"....why does it need polished in the first place?
    Likes Stokdgs, felixthecat, LGHT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh, wonder if I`ve ever corrected a vehicle (that I cared about) that fast...can`t imagine that I have. But then it takes me about half that to do a good regular Maintenance Wash. IF I work really, *really* fast.

I`m a *BIG* advocate of newbies doing the "one panel at a time" approach- just doing a panel (OK..or two) after each of a series of regular washes and then doing a final all-over LSPing when it`s all been corrected. Just concentrate on a limited amount of work that won`t be overwhelming and won`t take so long that you lose focus, do that small area right, and let it take as long as it takes. And if anything starts to go haywire *STOP* (before it *has* gone haywire) and figure things out lest you make it worse instead of better. Note that you need to know your [stuff] to spot that sort of thing before it`s too late.

HAVE THE RIGHT INSPECTION CONDITIONS. Utterly critical IMO. I`d buy the right lighting before I bought a polisher since you can`t even see what needs doing without it.

On "how to get dialed-in", I gather I`m a complete outlier and might as well keep my opinions to myself (at least this time), but I really don`t think it`s wise to go about this stuff without first developing the requisite knowledge base. We *are* talking about the risk of irreparable damage..or at least the kind of damage that can only be fixed with a paintgun. It`s not all *that* tough of a subject compared to a lot of skills that people develop, but the time/effort involved to understand it can be considerable, just like any other subject. How long did it take to get proficient at [something you`re really, *REALLY* good at]? Detailing a car is probably as involved as whatever that [something] is, but people sometimes assume it`s more simple than it is. Which goes 100X for "how to wash a car", which is the most important part of Detailing, period IMO (if only because if you keep marring the paint the polishing is pointless in the long run). But that`s another rant..I mean "topic"....why does it need polished in the first place?

Thanks man! I always appreciate some honest input.

The panel by panel approach is exactly what I was thinking. I imagine this is something that will happen over a month or two.

I actually have a really nice light I bought here years ago. I`m not new to detailing. I`m just new to polishers. I`ve been reading this forum for years and detailing the various cars I`ve owned based on what I`ve learned here. The only difference now is that I have a car that needs some fairly serious attention. It`s not something I would even be able to do by hand. That said, I`ve clayed, hand polished, sealed/waxed countless times over the years. I have hundreds of towels, pads and various chemicals for cleaning. I even taught my wife to do some hand restoration (which she`s pretty darn good at).

I`m just here to up my game to the next level.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks man! I always appreciate some honest input...
    Glad I didn`t come across (too) badly, I can be a bit brutal in the Honest Opinion Dept. That all sounds good, especially how you`re not planning to rush this.
    Likes felixthecat, w0rM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks man! I always appreciate some honest input.

The panel by panel approach is exactly what I was thinking. I imagine this is something that will happen over a month or two.

I actually have a really nice light I bought here years ago. I`m not new to detailing. I`m just new to polishers. I`ve been reading this forum for years and detailing the various cars I`ve owned based on what I`ve learned here. The only difference now is that I have a car that needs some fairly serious attention. It`s not something I would even be able to do by hand. That said, I`ve clayed, hand polished, sealed/waxed countless times over the years. I have hundreds of towels, pads and various chemicals for cleaning. I even taught my wife to do some hand restoration (which she`s pretty darn good at).

I`m just here to up my game to the next level.
    With that said, I`d be looking at a Rupes/Griots boss 15 machine...I like the Wolfgang Uber & the finishing glaze(polish)....Like mentioned before best to get 6+ of different pads.
    Likes w0rM liked this post
    Thanks w0rM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting idea. It would be worth it if i was able to see what he was doing.
    Here`s your chance: https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...tennessee.html

Post Thanks / Like

Gee, that Memphis event would be swell! Perfect solution...

Post Thanks / Like

Great topic and info for a fellow newbie. Although I probably don`t wash / wax my cars as often I`m pretty much in the same boat so the posts have been helpful. Not quit ready to pick up a polisher, but I think I`ll keep the Griots boss 15 on my short list!
    Dislikes w0rM disliked this post

Post Thanks / Like

LGHT- Use the right stuff, the right way, and you might not *need* to wash/wax all that often I sure don`t.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Sweet! I just got back from a few days on the road. I`ll take some quality pictures in the morning. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    That all sounds good, especially how you`re not planning to rush this.
    I`m an older guy so I don`t rush much of anything these days. haha

Post Thanks / Like

I`m an older guy so I don`t rush much of anything these days. haha
    Heh heh, older guys don`t get much sympathy from me as my Father didn`t even start washing his own car until he was in his 70s, and was still helping me Detail through his mid-80s

Just [messing] with you Even though I`m only 58, I sometimes come across as older here, Barry Theal always teased me about being a Real Old Guy!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information