Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Technique or more power?

Back story first. I have only dabbled with a Harbor Freight DA and HF 6" pads with Meguiars UP. While this combo created a "shiny" car, no real correction down to the levels you see in the pictures here.

I always assumed it was because I was using the HF pads. Recently I purchased a 5" back plate and 12 LC orange and white pads. This weekend I broke them out.

The results again were "shiny" but not the correction I had in my head. While the "expectations" were most probably not reachable. I catch an led light I still see swirls. If outside with the sun you have to search but they are there.

The other thing I found is that I had tje best luck with amd orange pad and UP. UC did not seems to give the results I was looking for nor the UP with a white pad.

What video(s) do I need to find amd watch, maybe again to ensure that I can fix if it is a technique issue. The other thing that I rolled through my head is a better machine. That may be it but many out there are using the HF machine and getting results. So I think it is technique.

Any ideas or particular video(s) I need to freshen up on?

Thanks if you made it through is much of my novel.

KM
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Technique or more power?

You need more cut. Try some microfiber pads and possibly a more aggressive compound. Lots of love for Griots Fast Correcting Cream lately on the forums.
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail

Post Thanks / Like

What year, make, and model of car you have? Also you may have to do it as a two or maybe even a 3 step process.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Great feedback above !!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not sure which Lake Country Orange Pads you purchased, but the Orange color pads are typically a "light cutting" pad..
    The White color pads are more of a Polishing pad, less correction than the Orange pad..
    The Yellow color pads have the most correcting ability..

Need to run that machine wide open to get the most Pad Rotation, which is where you get the most correction...

You have Meguiars Ultimate Polish which has less correction ability then their Ultimate Compound..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Alright, now we are getting some dialogue. Seems like this is when I lesrn the most and get more confused at the same time.

I have LC flat pads so yes the orange is more agressive then the white. I did try the orange with UC and like I said, there wasnt much of any more correction but maybe what I was seeing was "hazing"?

The vehicle was a 2011 Ford F150, reddish maroon. This weekend I am going to tackle the wife`s 2014 metalic grey/silver Ford Explorer.

I do have a couple yellow pads but to be honest I really didnt think about them. Not sure if i just felt what I was running should get 90% of what I had to correct or what.

I guess in the back of my head I just didnt want to create a bigger mess and screw up. The Explorer is in a little better shape so maybe I can make myself two step it and see where I land. Doing both UC then UP on a test spot before 100% commitment.

Thanks for all the feed back thus far. Also I wasnt quite wide open on the machine. I will change that also.

KM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    Lots of love for Griots Fast Correcting Cream lately on the forums.
    +1

This combination has worked VERY well for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Move on to a microfiber pad for cutting. Also if you’re not cleaning your pad after every pass you’re getting residue buildup that won’t let you cut and may haze the paint. Also shrink the work area. With the Griot’s fast correction cream and a microfiber, that machine will work just fine.
    Likes Stokdgs, BudgetPlan1, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

More power never hurt , but technique is key. Good advice above. I would add - ensure the pad keeps spinning and isn`t just vibrating. Put a reference line on the backing plate so it is easy to see rotation.

Nothing wrong the HF DA polisher or the Meguiars products you are using. Like others have mentioned you may want to try a more aggressive pad and a two step process (UC on a cut pad then UP on a polishing pad).

Atleson Detailing Service
    FB - https://www.facebook.com/AtlesonDetailing/
    WEB - https://sites.google.com/prod/view/a...detailing/home
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

How many passes per sections do you do?

The normal passes is around 4-6 per sections. Then you have the armspeed. About an inch per second is a good guideline. Garry Dean is a big fan of the HF polisher. Look at some videos on Youtube and get a feel of the armspeed and other things you see.

The test spot with both UC and followed by the UP and get the best results with the pads you have. Have in mind if you don`t get satisfied with one test spot you move on to a new spot. After the compound you look at the deeper defects if you got them out. If you get a hazy finish it`s okay. But the bigger swirls should be corrected. Then it`s up to the UP combo to clear up the finish. After each section you can use a panel wipe product like Gyeon PREP or Carpro Eraser or gtechnic panel wipe. Then you see the true correction you have gotten.

Post Thanks / Like

screeby- I`ve never used the HF polisher, but have extensive experience with the similar PC. IME such machines are seriously lacking in power to the point that they`re not efficient for polishing most auto paint (effective? perhaps...if you have the time, but then doing it by hand is effective too if you spend countless hours at it). As a Cyclo owner, I was simply *shocked* by how poorly the PC performed..not even a close comparison and it`s not like the Cyclo is all that aggressive.

If you want to do significant correction with it, I`d use a 4" MF Cutting Disk with something quite aggressive like M101 (or the GG Fast Correction Creme).

I utterly despise the LC Yellow Foam Cutting Pads as they don`t cut as well as some others but scour the finish. If you want to use foam I`d go with the Meguiar`s Maroon ones, but the MF sure works better for me and is easier to keep clean.

As noted, full speed at all times when doing significant correction.

Remember to *THOROUGHLY* clean the pads quite frequently; I`d never do even a third of a panel (not even a small panel) without cleaning my Cutting Pad of cut-off clear and dried-up compound.

I always work relatively small areas when doing correction, certainly not as big as the 2` x 2` that some advocate.

BUT....I`d get a more potent machine. I simply *never* touch my PCs any more. I`d look into a forced-rotation model, or at least something with a longer throw.

Post Thanks / Like

Do yourself a favor and don’t run it at full speed, you’ll heat up the pads and destroy them. Unless you’re doing production work, stick with the machine you have until you get a bit more experience. You can burn clear with a large throw or forced rotation machine. Change your pads and product and you’ll be fine.
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My cleaning of the pad was grabbing a mf and wrapping it around my finger and running it over the pad once or wmtwice while it was running.

That was done after every pass. A new pad for every panel/door, 2 on the hood.

I really thought I was gonna be "ok" with this set up. Maybe still can if I go with a different pad and UC followed by the white pad and UP.

Ha. Just funny how when ya really start diving in you learn how little ya know.

I also think the machine should be fine. Its one of thise deals where if it works for others why not me? Who knows. Nothing another Saturday in the garage wont fix and make me more confused.

KM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Do yourself a favor and don’t run it at full speed, you’ll heat up the pads and destroy them. Unless you’re doing production work, stick with the machine you have until you get a bit more experience. You can burn clear with a large throw or forced rotation machine. Change your pads and product and you’ll be fine.
    Huh, interesting take, different experience here. I`ve never had the higher speeds trash my pads and often wonder why other people`s pads don`t last as long as mine do. Even my (supposedly fragile) Meguiar`s MF disks last for ages. My 4" pads from Cyclo sure don`t mind high speeds, even on a rotary that`s really cranked up.

He, maybe it`s a matter of different pads being more/less susceptible to such damage, that would explain a lot. My 3" GG pads haven`t had any problems so far, but they *are* a lot thicker than the Cyclo ones and thus I`d expect them to be more fragile.

Yeah, you can burn paint with anything; only time I did it was with PC/Cyclo Green/3M 05937 (!) on a (scheduled for repaint) panel I didn`t care about and was egregiously mistreating. But I sure never came *close* to burning anything with the Flex 3401 (or a rotary for that matter).

YMMV I guess...but it`s not like I haven`t been doing this stuff for decades so I`d think that any reasonable mistake or likely experience would`ve befallen me by now. OTOH, erring on the side of caution is better than having an irreparable "oops!"

Eh, once again I`m probably coming across as being contentious even though that`s not my intention.

Post Thanks / Like

How do Yal guys clean the microfiber and foam pads? On and off the machine. I’ve been cleaning the foam pads with dawn off the machine. Haven’t used the microfiber pad yet but I need to know the proper way to clean Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Microfiber is best cleaned with compressed air. You can use a brush on both, but you’ll need to switch pads more frequently. Take a look at anything you can find from Kevin Brown on residue control.
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information