Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Technique or more power?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishroes View Post
    How do Yal guys clean the microfiber and foam pads? On and off the machine. I’ve been cleaning the foam pads with dawn off the machine. Haven’t used the microfiber pad yet but I need to know the proper way to clean Thanks
    I use Foam Pads with a Makita Rotary, and clean them during the correction process, with a small white cotton towel that is in the cart. After every pass series on that spot, I wipe the white towel over the pad several times, and look at what came off on the towel, to help me know what is happening on the paint better.

I also like to keep the product and pad a little moist by spraying a little pad conditioner on it, before I start the work.. Chemical Guys makes a Pad Conditioner product, but its not sold in the Autopia Store.. Perhaps Autogeek has it ?

I like to keep it all a little moist to allow the product, paint, and pad, more time to get acquainted with each other, and have found this process always gives me great results. And I never get dusting from dried product all over the work..
    This also helps keep the pad temperature at a more even level, and that of course helps keep the paint temperature the same more even temp..

Technique -- I always run the pad with the product and a little moisture on the panel as long as possible, sometimes, I have to add a little more moisture if I think its ending too soon.. I want to break down the product as much as possible to get the most benefit from it.
    The surface of that spot should be clearing up to the point that there is very little product on the spot..
    I get the Pad to clean up all the stuff as much as possible at the end,, so there will be very little wiping needed and lessen the possibility of introducing more work to your work..
    Then, as already said, wipe the foam pad down really well with a white cotton towel, look at the panel, decide if you need to go again, or move to the next spot on the panel..

I wash all pads in a cleaner made for foam pads by the very people that make the foam pads.. Snappy Clean powder... https://www.autopia-carcare.com/snap...l#.W1esINXFj3g Never had a problem with it.. If its a lot of pads, I use the entire envelope in around 3-4 gallons of water in the bucket.. Less pads, perhaps half an envelope in 2.5-3 gallons of water..
    You want to wear long gloves when cleaning, which will be holding them under, squeezing them several times, to help release the product, then perhaps turning them up in the water and using two hands, rubbing them against themselves to help loosen the product..

A lot of squeezing them under the solution, then when clean, rinsing them in a bucket of clean water or in the sink.. Have to really rinse them clean of all soap, etc... Snappy Clean is a no foaming product, which makes for less rinsing anyway...

I just set them on end in an empty cart in the garage to air dry... Can take 24+ hours or more depending on temps out there...

I tried microfiber when they first came out almost 15 years ago, and wasn`t too impressed by all the extra work they took to keep them clean; they seemed to wear out quickly, and they never finished down to near LSP ready.. And you had to have an air hose, fittings, air compressor, water trap, lines, extra 20amp outlet and extra 20amp breaker in your power panel, and the noise it makes when it turns on all the time.. Then there is dust blowing all over the place when you clean the pads.. And you have to carry the air hose around the entire vehicle with you..

Everyone here will have different results and processes to accomplish the same goal - great correction, clarity, gloss, in the shortest amount of time - especially if one is doing this for a living every day..

You will just have to figure out where you want to be in this and I promise you that you will be able to get great results if you put in the time and work..
    Dan F
    Last edited by Stokdgs; 07-25-2018 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Added - Technique - paragraph

Post Thanks / Like

Good info guys. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure how I missed this post. I was doing the typical 4 - 6 overlapping passes. My arm speed may have been a bit quick.

For panel whip I was using the McKee`s 914 at proper dilution. It was my first time using it. Not sure if that is how it is supposed to work but the paint "looked" and "felt" clean, if that makes sense.

Thank you for the Gary Dean videos. I googled them and will be watching those as well to see if I am just doing something wrong.

Also, thank you again to everyone that responded. This place is pretty awesome for the help you can get from people.

KM

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    How many passes per sections do you do?

The normal passes is around 4-6 per sections. Then you have the armspeed. About an inch per second is a good guideline. Garry Dean is a big fan of the HF polisher. Look at some videos on Youtube and get a feel of the armspeed and other things you see.

The test spot with both UC and followed by the UP and get the best results with the pads you have. Have in mind if you don`t get satisfied with one test spot you move on to a new spot. After the compound you look at the deeper defects if you got them out. If you get a hazy finish it`s okay. But the bigger swirls should be corrected. Then it`s up to the UP combo to clear up the finish. After each section you can use a panel wipe product like Gyeon PREP or Carpro Eraser or gtechnic panel wipe. Then you see the true correction you have gotten.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishroes View Post
    How do Yal guys clean the microfiber and foam pads? On and off the machine. I’ve been cleaning the foam pads with dawn off the machine. Haven’t used the microfiber pad yet but I need to know the proper way to clean Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert
    Microfiber is best cleaned with compressed air.
    Exactly! So quick and easy you wouldn`t believe until you try it. I`d even recommend buying a cheapie compressor at HF next time they`re on sale if only for this application (though IMO every vehicle owner oughta have an air compressor anyhow).

I never liked using the Pad Cleaning Brushes all that much. If wiping the pads clean I use a cotton towel, although KB can make a good case for using MF instead (we agreed to disagree since neither of us considered the other truly "wrong" ).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by screeby View Post
    My arm speed may have been a bit quick...
    IMO that`s almost certainly a clue that it`s a bit *too* quick

You sure do want to keep it moving (if only because of heat), but I bet the vast majority of people go too quick even when they`re thinking about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Get 6+ Griots m/f pads, possibly use a smaller b/p such as a 5`` to use 5.5`` pads....Hit up Griots fast correcting or Wolfgang`s Uber compound....Divide your f150 hood in to 4 sections, use slow arm speed w/ 3-5 section passes about 12``-18`` long & then cross over thoses....Take your time, if you run out of time, theres always another day.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information