Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finally got to the bottom of the poor oem headlights problem

Quote Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
    ...the new ones are starting to look like they`re headed downhill after a year. .
    Gee, that`s really something! Wonder what`s going on..new headlights oughta stay nice for ages, if not forever (which is what I`d expect).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Huh, now that kinda surprises me. Plastic lenses, sure...but I wouldn`t have expected UV to be an issue on (OEM thickness) paint.
    Yep, lots of Japanese cars running around with peeling sunburn.. Hondas being the worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Well since the link got removed, I was talking about Meguiars G17804 Headlight Coating (https://www.autopia-carcare.com/megu...l#.WyV-E4pMGfA). Guess maybe they think we haven`t heard of meguiars, or Amazon, one of the biggest corporations on earth? lol

Anyway yeah this isn`t a permanent fix but what is. This is a once a year sealer, according to megs. You clean em up with alcohol, and then you spray on the sealer. You do it again a year later. If they look unchanged after a year of driving, (and users claim they do) then I`d call it a big success. Cause even after buying brand new headlights to replace old ones that have been restored too many times and finally cracked, the new ones are starting to look like they`re headed downhill after a year. So I`m going to try this on my new corolla that has 5k miles on it. Those headlights should be a good candidate.
    There is no offense intended when a link is removed. This forum is sponsored by a store that sells detailing products. Why would any retail store concerned about their own best interests advertise (read LINK to competitor) for their competitor. The forum policy is simple, no links to sites that compete with PBMG stores. Discuss these products ad-nauseam on Autopia but don’t link to other retail sites. Of course PBMG understands that people know how to use the Internet and will find places to buy product. Their hope is that it’s a PBMG store. That said, why open the door to a competitor that sells either the same or like products that they sell for customers to stop and shop? This makes perfect business sense and should be easily understood. In this case Autopia Car-Care also happens to sell the very product being discussed. Why not link there? I’ve added that link to your post. As I said, previously no offense intended.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

When I say "starting to go downhill" I just mean that if you look closely, you can see the very beginnings of it. Plus they`re aftermarket headlights not oem... the ones I was referring to. I know quality could go either way: Better, or worse than OEM. But I`d estimate that in something like 2 years, maybe 2.5 years, the aftermarket headlights would be hazed over. Unacceptable!! lol
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It`s simple...short version
    OEM makes "headlight covers" from plastic. Plastics yellow. This is true all almost all the variations...Plexiglass etc.
    In the old days, they were made of glass. Glass does not yellow. Glass is more expensive, especially making shapes.
    Bending glass into the shapes of the new designer styles in very expensive. Plastic is cheaper and easier to bend.

AMiracleDetailing.com
    YouTube - Facebook - Instagram
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

All,
    After jumping on utube a while ago and finding dallas auto paint correction and his vid on headlights restoration i have not looked back on Optimum`Opti-Lens. He sells this product with his services and a warranty and i can tell you that after approx 9m the headlights on the lexus look spectacular.
    Give that products a try after sanding and polishing the headlights. Alternative in my books is a products called Glassy Lite. It has fillers in it but they do last a while.
    Cheers

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PoweredByJenga View Post
    All,..[check out]... Optimum`Opti-Lens...[and].. a products called Glassy Lite. It has fillers in it but they do last a while.
    Thanks for posting that. With new lenses/etc. unavailable for the older cars, I might oughta look into something more serious than the (seemingly OK) OCW approach.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW I polished a set of headlights and coated them with my leftover McKees wheel coating. Been a month or two and the water beading is very good so I guess it bonded to the plastic. Time will tell though.

I did see McKees offers a headlight coating so I will probably get that to try for the future.

This does bring me to the question what properties in a coating are changed for different applications. For instance, McKees has paint, wheels, headlights, glass....etc. I wonder if one could be used for all applications and what exactly differentiates the products.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I was talking about Meguiars G17804 Headlight Coating (https://www.autopia-carcare.com/megu...l#.WyV-E4pMGfA).
    I didn`t have much luck with this product.

When the lenses on my daughter`s 2010 Mazda 3 began to turn yellow and get hazy I gave this a shot. I polished the lenses with PlasticX, wiped them down, and then applied the coating. After about 3~4 months the yellow had returned and after six months you couldn`t tell I had done any work at all. I also had a problem with the product drying clear. It always seemed to have a strange texture to it which made the lenses look strange when you got up close. It would spray on smooth, but gained texture as it dried.

I`ve now started using the Wolfgang headlight kit and found it works much better. The two-step polishing isn`t too aggressive and once the sealant is applied the lense looks new. So far, I`ve found it lasts roughtly 7~8 months before the yellowing returns.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I didn`t have much luck with this product.

When the lenses on my daughter`s 2010 Mazda 3 began to turn yellow and get hazy I gave this a shot. I polished the lenses with PlasticX, wiped them down, and then applied the coating. After about 3~4 months the yellow had returned and after six months you couldn`t tell I had done any work at all. I also had a problem with the product drying clear. It always seemed to have a strange texture to it which made the lenses look strange when you got up close. It would spray on smooth, but gained texture as it dried.

I`ve now started using the Wolfgang headlight kit and found it works much better. The two-step polishing isn`t too aggressive and once the sealant is applied the lense looks new. So far, I`ve found it lasts roughtly 7~8 months before the yellowing returns.
    Worked out ok for me. The lenses appear to be more clear than when I started. Although they were pretty clear. Maybe somewhat different plastics were used. I used it on a toyota. I`ll try the kit you mentioned next time. Since they also have a sealer, maybe its a better sealer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information