Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Time to decide, got it narrowed down to 3.

I`ve been researching machines, looking for a machine to help remove swirls in the contours, and limit the stalling.
    This weeks end I will order up 1 of the 3.
    I would seriously appreciate all opinions.

Am leaning toward Makita or Flex. They are similarly priced. I also believe I could run a 3" BP on the forced rotation Makita.

The Rupes Mille is premium in every way and I doubt I would regret the $$$$, but no 3" mod.

?????
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time to decide, got it narrowed down to 3.

I personally would go with the Flex or a similar 3in 12mm throw machine over the forced rotation polishers. But that`s just me.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justins00ss View Post
    I personally would go with the Flex or a similar 3in 12mm throw machine over the forced rotation polishers. But that`s just me.
    Flex does fit what I`m looking at, that`s replacing my Rupes 3" mini. It stalls in the slightest contours.

TTQ B4U
    Post Thanks / Like

I have two Flex units. They are beasts and do an AWESOME Job. Looking at adding the Rupes Mille but am waiting until I can pick up some discounted gift certs from somewhere so that I can apply them to the unit.
    2018 Midnight Black Metallic AWD Infiniti Q50S Red Sport 400 | Burger MS JB4
    2018 Ruby Red Metallic AWD Lincoln MK-C Reserve | 2.3l EcoBoost - Wife`s
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I know you, like myself, have quite a few machines. It might be helpful to know what you currently have before making a recommendation.

And I think I asked this a couple weeks ago, what pads are you running on your Rupes mini?

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve never had serious stalling problems with the Rupes mini. Where exactly are you having stalling problems? I use mine on bumpers mainly with no problems. I don’t run it on 6 that much to keep from overheating the pads. Are you using Rupes pads? How much pressure? I know you’ve been Detailing for a long time now so I’m not trying to insult you. I’m just trying to understand the problem. Have you thought about a Rupes Nano for those tight places? With the Nano on rotary there will be no stalling issues.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a flex forced rotation, and its what I use to cut big stuff. I also use it on glass and headlights that need cutting.

Love that machine, and I own several other types Rupes duetto, rupes 15, GG6. PCXP, GG3 (if you call that a machine) I use my duetto and just about everything because of comfort.

I do not log a lot of machine time so the extra torque and kick back don`t really effect me. I do love the Rupes but I do hear to on the stall. I have gotten pretty good on using it with minimal stalling. the line on the back plate is helpful to me.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I’ve never had serious stalling problems with the Rupes mini. Where exactly are you having stalling problems? I use mine on bumpers mainly with no problems. I don’t run it on 6 that much to keep from overheating the pads. Are you using Rupes pads? How much pressure? I know you’ve been Detailing for a long time now so I’m not trying to insult you. I’m just trying to understand the problem. Have you thought about a Rupes Nano for those tight places? With the Nano on rotary there will be no stalling issues.
    Kind if my thoughts also. I was kind if hesitant to recommend the ibird though because I rarely use the 2" pads and not sure how large the areas are that she`s working on. Do you use the 2" pads very often? I know you can actually cover a lot of paint pretty quickly with the 1.25" pads.

Then you also have the price difference between the ibird and machines she`s looking at. I actually had the Flex and Rupes minis at the same time and IMO the Rupes had more power. If you haven`t already done it, I would definitely try different pads on the Rupes before buying the Flex. I think you would be a lot happier buying one of the other machines.

Post Thanks / Like

Mary B- My Rupes Mini is awfully prone to stalling too. Not really worse than my GG6 (with a small plate) and better than my PCs (also with small plate), but still...it stalls a lot easier than I had hoped and still takes forever to do significant correction.

SO...IMO if you want a forced-rotation then that`s what you want. I doubt that either the Makita or Flex will be a poor choice, but better verify that 3" fitment on the former.

Overall, I somehow get the feeling that Makita designs there stuff a bit better. My Makita rotary has been an industry standard for ages; my Flex 3401 is very useful, but IMO it`s a somewhat flawed design that could`ve been done better (if at a higher cost).

So I guess I`d lean towards the Makita, *IF* it`ll take that 3" plate.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mary B:
    This purchasing decision of a "new" polishing machine for a hobbyist detailer is one that I think a lot of us face, especially in light of limited means (money)for such a tool by most hobbyists. The "problem" is unless you`ve tried one out personally on a vehicle, it`s difficult to make an educated guess as to which one might be best and why, hence, this request for information and suggestions from fellow Autopians for such a tool.
    You know your polishing machine requirements, and if one of them is being able to fit a 3" backing plate and pad on it, that has already narrowed down your choices for you.
    I REALLY want to know more about Rupe`s Miile, but my feeble attempts to ask questions about it have been met with few responses because I assume it is such a new machine few detailing individuals have purchased it or if they did, they have limited experience with it or are too busy this time of year using it on detailing jobs.

Please let us detailing hobbyists know what you purchase and why, and then give us some feed-back on it once you`ve gained a little experience with it.
    Sorry I could not be of any help in you polishing machine purchase.
    GB detailer
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mary have you tried to washer mod your mini? Seems to work a bit better with it washer modded.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I`m confused. Are you talking about going with a Flex 3401 or the Flex Mini you have pictured?? A couple people have stated (forced rotation a Flex) or kind of implied you`re talking about a 3401. I getting from your comments and picture the Flex mini??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I know you, like myself, have quite a few machines. It might be helpful to know what you currently have before making a recommendation.

And I think I asked this a couple weeks ago, what pads are you running on your Rupes mini?
    Hello again,
    These are the machines I have and use.
    Swirl Killer 3" mini, fit with 1" and 2" BPs
    Rupes 3" Mini, & Duetto.
    Flex XFE 7-15 5".
    GGs Boss 15 5"

These are the machines I have and not using very often.
    TorqX fit with a 3", and Torq10FX 5"
    Flex PE8 fit with 1", 2" & 3" BPs

My 3" foam pads are Rupes, Scholls spider pads, LC old style flats.
    My pads I`ve been having the most trouble with are the thin MF Megs, GGs boss, LC & Carpro,
    which I`ve been using the most to get at the swirls in the contours
    the thick ones like B&S, Rupes just melted and deformed them.

I think you have a Makita ?? Does it give you a workout ?

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Stalling occurs with a thin 3" MF right as I approach and enter a concave contour, running at 4-5, light pressure.
    I just tried it again, w/ Rupes yellow, 4-5 speed.. flat it ran with alot of pressure and no stall, tipping it slightly with pressure, slowed way down
    but not a complete stall, unlike the MF pads
    Maybe I should kick up the speed just in those areas ??
    I do have the Mini Flex rotary PE8, which has come to mind, wondering why I put it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Mary B- My Rupes Mini is awfully prone to stalling too. Not really worse than my GG6 (with a small plate) and better than my PCs (also with small plate), but still...it stalls a lot easier than I had hoped and still takes forever to do significant correction.

SO...IMO if you want a forced-rotation then that`s what you want. I doubt that either the Makita or Flex will be a poor choice, but better verify that 3" fitment on the former.

Overall, I somehow get the feeling that Makita designs there stuff a bit better. My Makita rotary has been an industry standard for ages; my Flex 3401 is very useful, but IMO it`s a somewhat flawed design that could`ve been done better (if at a higher cost).

So I guess I`d lean towards the Makita, *IF* it`ll take that 3" plate.
    That`s what got me down this road, the stall y`all ! I would have to say a 3" forced rotation would be killer !!
    Then enter the Rupes Mille, and it`s back to ... undecided ??

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Mary have you tried to washer mod your mini? Seems to work a bit better with it washer modded.
    Thank you Guz. I will try in the morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Maybe I`m confused. Are you talking about going with a Flex 3401 or the Flex Mini you have pictured?? A couple people have stated (forced rotation a Flex) or kind of implied you`re talking about a 3401. I getting from your comments and picture the Flex mini??
    Ahh The Flex 3" mini that I have pictured. Watched Apex detail on Youtube, looked like he was knocking out all the area I`m having trouble with .
    Plus where the speed dial is located would be easier to read than the Rupes MINI

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B View Post
    Hello again,
    These are the machines I have and use.
    Swirl Killer 3" mini, fit with 1" and 2" BPs
    Rupes 3" Mini, & Duetto.
    Flex XFE 7-15 5".
    GGs Boss 15 5"

These are the machines I have and not using very often.
    TorqX fit with a 3", and Torq10FX 5"
    Flex PE8 fit with 1", 2" & 3" BPs

My 3" foam pads are Rupes, Scholls spider pads, LC old style flats.
    My pads I`ve been having the most trouble with are the thin MF Megs, GGs boss, LC & Carpro,
    which I`ve been using the most to get at the swirls in the contours
    the thick ones like B&S, Rupes just melted and deformed them.

I think you have a Makita ?? Does it give you a workout ?

That`s what got me down this road, the stall y`all ! I would have to say a 3" forced rotation would be killer !
    Then enter the Rupes Mille, and it`s back to ... undecided ??

Thank you Guz. I will try in the morning.
    I actually have the Mille and it`s not bad. I had a 3401 and it would work me over, of course I have back problems which adds to the issue. Both the Mille and the Makita are 5" throw. I believe the Makita turns counter clockwise. A lot of people say it doesn`t matter which way it spins. It did to me. I think the Makita is a little heavier, which over several hours can take it`s toll.
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information