Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time to decide, got it narrowed down to 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B View Post
    Ahh The Flex 3" mini that I have pictured. Watched Apex detail on Youtube, looked like he was knocking out all the area I`m having trouble with .
    Plus where the speed dial is located would be easier to read than the Rupes MINI
    I liked the Flex better between the 2 minis so I ended up selling the Rupes. I`m not loyal to any brand. Which ever I like better in a particular machine is the one I buy, or keep. I would just really hate to see you spend that much money on a tool and end up with pretty much what you have. That being said I didn`t put a lot of time in on the Rupes, but again didn`t notice much power difference.

Your having problems with the 3" Boss pads on the Mini?? I use them pretty much exclusively on the small Flex and they`ve worked out great. I ci could see having problems with them on the larger machines with the smaller throw.

Do you have a link to that video so we can see exactly where it is you`re having problems?? Maybe someone will have some more input that will be helpful.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sold all of my Rupes machines except the I brid. I have no stalling issues with the gg6 with the 3 inch plate and 3 inch boss pads. Easily out performs the Rupes.
    Likes felixthecat liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Mary,
    Hope you guys are all doing good up there !

You already have the Flex PE-8, right ?

What about doing the correction work in those "stall" areas with the PE-8, then if you don`t like the finish for some reason, come back over it with the other machines you already have ? Plus, you get more practice with it the more often you use it..

Ok, I looked it up (the PE-8) and see it starts out at 1300 - not my favorite place to start out - so you have to change your technique, to moving it much faster across the area and that should work out..

Direct Drive, smooth as heck, will never stall out on you, corrects very quickly in my experiences..
    Good luck with your research !
    Dan F
    Likes rlmccarty2000, Mary B, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I actually have the Mille and it`s not bad. I had a 3401 and it would work me over, of course I have back problems which adds to the issue. Both the Mille and the Makita are 5" throw. I believe the Makita turns counter clockwise. A lot of people say it doesn`t matter which way it spins. It did to me. I think the Makita is a little heavier, which over several hours can take it`s toll.
    Sooo you have a Mille ? Is it as smooth as it looks ? You know that machine to me looks like a work of art ? I`m at work now and the one machine I keep thinking about out of the 3 is the Mille

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Sooo you have a Mille ? Is it as smooth as it looks ? You know that machine to me looks like a work of art ? I`m at work now and the one machine I keep thinking about out of the 3 is the Mille

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    with what you already have, what you`re looking for, and the three choices it would definitely be the best for you. It`s a very smooth machine. Being forced rotation there are a lot of smaller areas you can just use the edge of the pad vs changing machines to correct.
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Mary,
    Hope you guys are all doing good up there !

You already have the Flex PE-8, right ?

What about doing the correction work in those "stall" areas with the PE-8, then if you don`t like the finish for some reason, come back over it with the other machines you already have ? Plus, you get more practice with it the more often you use it..

Ok, I looked it up (the PE-8) and see it starts out at 1300 - not my favorite place to start out - so you have to change your technique, to moving it much faster across the area and that should work out..

Direct Drive, smooth as heck, will never stall out on you, corrects very quickly in my experiences..
    Good luck with your research !
    Dan F
    Keep in mind the RPM is measured by how fast the outside of the pad is moving. Believe me that machines starting speed is much lower than my PE-14 @ 600 RPM. I had one of those machines, not just going by numbers, it starts out extremely slow. I never turned the speed dial lower than 2.

Post Thanks / Like

My Rupes mini stalls with mf pads, slows down on curves, concave. Looking into Flex pe8 to replace it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Have you also considered the Adam`s Swirl Killer Mini ? More than half the price of the Rupes !

Likes KBsToy liked this post
    Thanks KBsToy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Sold all of my Rupes machines except the I brid. I have no stalling issues with the gg6 with the 3 inch plate and 3 inch boss pads. Easily out performs the Rupes.
    Huh, and here I wanted the Rupes Mini due to dissatisfaction with how my GG6 was with the smaller plate(s).

Post Thanks / Like

Oh--Oh
    There’s a place in the brain for knowing what cannot be remembered.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Huh, and here I wanted the Rupes Mini due to dissatisfaction with how my GG6 was with the smaller plate(s).
    I think this must fall into the “different strokes for different folks” area. My Rupes mini is probably my favorite tool. It has more than enough power as it will melt a pad if you are not careful. If you need more power you need to step up to a rotary tool and a 3 inch pad.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

rlmccarty2000- Note that I still have two rotaries, but will probably never used them again as I can`t always finish out hologram-free (despite decades with them) and, well...just don`t like them.

A forced-rotation RO/DA that takes small pads would probably be right for me, and I do expect I could follow up with the Mini.

EDIT: Heh heh, I`m actually a little surprised that you wouldn`t expect me to have rotaries at my disposal and considerable experience with them. Back in the `70s it was either a rotary or the Cyclo and I didn`t get the latter until the early `80s. I was still using the Makita and Metabo in the early oughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EdLancer View Post
    Have you also considered the Adam`s Swirl Killer Mini ? More than half the price of the Rupes !

That`s the newer one, which has more air vents and better front handle. I have the older one, for 1" - 2" work, underpowered though.
    So for those small areas I crank her up.

I think you are on the right track. Over thinking this.

thanks

TTQ B4U
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m an avid Flex 3401 user but today will be taking delivery of my new Mille and hope to provide another opinion after working a detail with it tomorrow.
    2018 Midnight Black Metallic AWD Infiniti Q50S Red Sport 400 | Burger MS JB4
    2018 Ruby Red Metallic AWD Lincoln MK-C Reserve | 2.3l EcoBoost - Wife`s
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are on the right track. Over thinking this.
    Heh heh, IME "overthinking" things is often the right track Wish I`d "overthought" a few of my polisher purchases a bit more than I did.
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information