Post Thanks / Like

3M Perfect-it Pads with older adapter

Hello everyone,

Many years ago I bought a quick-change pad system (can`t remember the company name). The company was bought by 3M and I think it became their Perfect-it double sided pad product line. I need to get some new pads and can`t figure out if the Perfect-it pads will fit my old adapter. My polisher is a PC 7424 so obviously I can`t use their huge 8" pads - only the 6" right? The original pads were only 5" so I will swap out the counter weight on the machine.

Sure, I can buy the new quick-connector from 3M, but if my old one will work, I`d like to keep it. Anyone know anything about this system? Are the Perfect-it pads good quality? I use Poorboy`s polishes and sealants.

Thanks.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3M Perfect-it Pads with older adapter

Quote Originally Posted by MetlMann View Post
    Hello everyone,

Many years ago I bought a quick-change pad system (can`t remember the company name). The company was bought by 3M and I think it became their Perfect-it double sided pad product line. I need to get some new pads and can`t figure out if the Perfect-it pads will fit my old adapter. My polisher is a PC 7424 so obviously I can`t use their huge 8" pads - only the 6" right? The original pads were only 5" so I will swap out the counter weight on the machine.

Sure, I can buy the new quick-connector from 3M, but if my old one will work, I`d like to keep it. Anyone know anything about this system? Are the Perfect-it pads good quality? I use Poorboy`s polishes and sealants.

Thanks.
    Welcome to the Forum, MetlMann -
    There are correct Backing Plates in a few sizes for your PC 7424 here at the store...
    The most popular one will be the 5" one that will hold all the 5/5" pads perfectly, and give you better pad rotation than that huge one with the even bigger pad.. Here is a link to that 5" Backing Plate -- https://www.autopia-carcare.com/buff...l#.WvZFnKRAn3g
    Pad Rotation is how the correction and polishing of the paint is most effective, so you want all you can get..

I know nothing about the Perfect-it Pad System but used a lot of 3M Perfect-it compounds when I worked in the Paint Shop a few decades ago...
    There are many better quality, easier to use, compounds and polishes available here today, that are much better if you want to take a look..

There are better pads as well from this Store here... I dont know which 3M pads you have, if they are foam, what color, etc., so I cannot help you with that..

I used to use a couple of very small purple colored 3M pads for spot correction with my Makita that worked well, but I never bought into the entire line, if they have that..

If you have a Rotary already like I do, there is also an adapter for your Porter Cable that will thread into the Porter Cable and the other end is male threads for all normal Rotary Backing Plates, so you dont have to go get all new Random Orbital Plates, as well.. Here is that adapter -- https://www.autogeek.net/buff-and-shine-da-adapter.html
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I think I know what you are talking about and I believe those pads have been discontinued. Do a search over on the Autogeek forum and I believe you can find more information.

Dont worry about switching out the counter weight. The PC runs fine with either counterweight. If I remember correctly the counterweight only matters for sanding wood.

Post Thanks / Like

You`re talking about The Edge detailing products, most of the line was sold to 3M but some of it was kept as Innovative Accessory Products, which seems to have fallen by the wayside as the owner is more interested in kitchen scrubbers. The adapter that 3M sells is only for rotary, so the DA adapter, and the short-lived Flex adapter are long gone.

If 3M is still making 6" pads, I guess they will fit on your old DA adapter. Last time I checked I thought it was all 8" pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, The Edge - that rings a bell now. Oh well, I`ll look at the links posted here and find some better pads. Thanks for the info everyone.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Thread Information