Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 5” backing plate- ideal pad size?

SWETM- Ah, OK...that explains why the Euro-model features so prominently in their lineup.

The Top Tool might be good for really large areas/vehicles, but I find that even the Cyclo just doesn`t accommodate certain panel contours, guess I`m a "smaller rather than larger" kind of guy when it comes to such polishers. That vertical setup would take some getting used to!

I trust you`ve seen the older 3-headed Cyclos, not too common these days nor are the pneumatic ones.

And yeah, the cheapie knock-offs...apparently some are OK, forget which one it was (yellow and red plastic) but TOL sold one that AFAIK was a viable alternative for the budget-conscious crowd.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    SWETM- Ah, OK...that explains why the Euro-model features so prominently in their lineup.

The Top Tool might be good for really large areas/vehicles, but I find that even the Cyclo just doesn`t accommodate certain panel contours, guess I`m a "smaller rather than larger" kind of guy when it comes to such polishers. That vertical setup would take some getting used to!

I trust you`ve seen the older 3-headed Cyclos, not too common these days nor are the pneumatic ones.

And yeah, the cheapie knock-offs...apparently some are OK, forget which one it was (yellow and red plastic) but TOL sold one that AFAIK was a viable alternative for the budget-conscious crowd.
    Yeah that vertical holding is a little special. But think those electric wax applyiers lol. Seen some videos of just the Flex Top Tool and even if it`s so large they are quite verstile for it`s size. When doing the small places they tip it and uses one pad and smaller pads like 5" pads. But of coarse when doing the big panels with the double 6.5" pads it goes fast. And it`s almost impossible to get them to stall with the belt driven backing plates.

The 3 headed I have not seen. But the pneumatic I have. Those cyclo is work horses and would be nice to have one. It`s holds up it`s worth on the market even at used ones.

5-6 different brands of the cyclo copies is available easy here. Could compare them to the XP polisher as how common those are. Detailing products companys has ready to use kits without the pads but with different pads and polishes and mf towels and so on. Just a fun fact

Post Thanks / Like

SWETM- Yes indeed, the Cyclos *are* workhorses. After years of serious abuse, including being left outside during storms and otherwise mistreated by employees, I finally sent my oldest one back to Cyco Toolmakers for a rebuild. It had been used hard for over a decade without even a drop of lube. They called me up and said it didn`t need *anything* at all, but they lubed it and replaced the brushes anyhow (IIRC they only charged me shipping). It`s now over 30 years old and still works like new.

I dunno about tilting such machines...sling from other pad, uneven contact, I can see issues (and I don`t mind tilting other machines and doing lots of work with the edge of the pad).
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cool history about your cyclo! They don`t do that kind of tools anymore that holds on for that long. Wondering how the polishers that is offered now how they works and looks in 30 years of now

Post Thanks / Like

I`d bet that the current/latest Cyclo is at least as good/durable as mine. The fundamentals haven`t changed (hence the price I suppose). But I don`t like certain...uhm, features...on the newer ones so I personally would rather buy an old/used one. Kinda wish mine were older, but hey I have a history with mine, especially that older one.

Post Thanks / Like

I still use my cyclo. In fact it’s usually the polisher I reach for on my own cars. They are never in horrible shape I can just hit with some essence or something on a green pad. Well 2 green pads lol and jam it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

MattPerson- Heh heh, looks like I`m not the only Cyclo lover here after all!

Yeah, those green pads are quite versatile, which is good since those were the only foam pads for that machine for a long, long time.

Heh heh, to really date myself, I remember struggling with the old "boot" style pads before they used velcro. Even used them for waxing on soft ss lacquer. Sorta got me into the "don`t need a zillion types of pads" mindset, which still applies.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information