Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 5” backing plate- ideal pad size?

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Awesome work Striker!

Thanks Dan for your detailed answer!
    Why I`m looking on rotary polisher is because I have nervedamage on the spinalcord. It`s both in the neck and lower back that causes pain that rays out to the hands and feets. So looking for the least wearing polisher experience. And the 21mm longthrow polisher I have has some vibrations that are aggressive to the nervedamage. And a rotary polisher I think in the vibration is better than DA. So a mix of the rotary polisher and a DA I think could suit me well.

Hope you and your family is feeling all well too. Me and my family is good and tries to handle what life throws at us as good as we can.

/Tony
    Mi Amigo Tony !
    Sorry to hear about the spinal cord nerve damage pain.. I hope there is a way to get relief and healing.. I will say prayers for you and your family..

I have been blessed all my life so far, with a very strong back and very little pain..
    Some of it is genes, and most of it is from very hard work, all my life..

Thank you for your well wishes.. I have no family at present, but someday hope to get married again..

I can tell you are a very nice man.. I have known personally, only one other man from your part of the world - He was from Gasa Odense, Denmark.. Jorgen Knudsen was also a very nice person..

Any Rotary Machine you choose will have almost zero vibration because it is direct drive motor to backing plate to pad...
    The lower speeds I use make less centripetal force as well, so there is less effort made to keep the spinning pad from wanting to move away from you..
    Yes, using the Rotary for correction and finishing down, and anything else, and then perhaps a little light, quick, work with a Random Orbital, is a proven process..
    Dan F
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Thanks SWETM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dan-

Can any ordinary quick detailer (say megs ultimate quick detailer since I have it) be used as a pad conditioner ?

What is this small spacer you speak of for the Makita?

You touched upon cleaning the pads- I always felt a terry cloth towel was good for this as it’s kinda rough- how often do you wipe the face of the pad off ?

Marko.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    Dan-

Can any ordinary quick detailer (say megs ultimate quick detailer since I have it) be used as a pad conditioner ?

What is this small spacer you speak of for the Makita?

You touched upon cleaning the pads- I always felt a terry cloth towel was good for this as it’s kinda rough- how often do you wipe the face of the pad off ?

Marko.

Hello, Marko !
    I don`t know if any Quick Detailer will work as a Pad Conditioner, I have only used the C/Guys Pad Conditioner..
    Would be a good experiment though to see if it works the same..
    Yes, I only use white cotton towels to wipe off the pad, usually after every panel area has been done, almost all the product is gone onto the Hydro Tech pad, then I stop, wipe off the panel carefully, look at the pad face and decide if I want to wipe it off also.. Depends on how much gunk you see you removed; if it was a lot, then clean the pad face off and it will work better .
    Regarding Spacers, I use one like this -- https://www.autopia-carcare.com/buff...l#.WvoBHKRAn3g
    AGeek sells a couple of spacers that are both longer than this Buff&Shine one.. The longer the spacer, the more the pad will want to wander around.. Its important to keep the pad flat as much as possible to avoid it wanting to move on its own..
    I have had this shorter spacer for decades and never needed the longer one I have in my cabinet..
    Here is the link to the longer spacers at A/Geek -- https://www.autogeek.net/lake-countr...nsion-kit.html
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

So 85rd is now 3500 and 106 is now 3800, if I’m correct?

Post Thanks / Like

6"-7" pads is fine, you want at least a 1/2" to 1" buffer edge to get into tight spots or else the backplate can touch the paint.
    The 3M 09952 backplate is the ultimate rotary backplate to get if you can find them here in North America.

-3m_backing_plate1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

PD from Miracle Detail in the UK using the 3M 09952 backplate look at the space between the backplate and the pad. I think this is the ultimate video on rotary usage, look at his technique and the way he holds and guides the rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

Jose from Top Car Detail in Spain on a Metabo

Post Thanks / Like

EdLancer -
    I remember that 3M Perfect-It Backing Plate from years ago..
    Almost 10 years ago I believe..
    Hottest thing, could not find it in the USA, finally bought one from the UK and it was lovely and all but out of round... Hated it.. No good on a Rotary...
    See a couple for sale in the UK today for around $32.20 USD, don`t know if one has to pay the Tax there, and then there is shipping..

Didn`t really need it after all the hoopla.. It flexes, I don`t want the flex, just direct drive to the paint for the fastest correction... A small spacer on the Rotary gives me the distance I like and it`s good to go..

Loved that old, old, Paul Dalton video ! The comments on there are hilarious ! I still have that same Makita from longer ago, and it`s an awesome machine...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Back then detailing gear was much more expensive and harder to come by then today. The only DA available in 2003 was the PC and the Flex was just coming in a few year later and the Makita 7227C and Dewalt DW849 was the only game in town for rotaries still great machines even by today`s standards. With the advent of made in China, detailing gear has become very inexpensive and selections is now huge !

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, the Cyclo Model 5 has been around since forever...it was an old thing back when I got mine in the early `80s.

I too use cotton towels for most of my foam pad cleaning, though I understand KB`s argument that MF is superior.

I clean my pads *all the time*, sometimes after every (section) pass, at least when doing aggressive work. I might do a whole panel when just Finishing, but even then I find that a clean pad simply does everything better. Erring on the side of caution perhaps, but it does seem to make a diff.
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh, the Cyclo Model 5 has been around since forever...it was an old thing back when I got mine in the early `80s. I too use cotton towels for most of my foam pad cleaning, though I understand KB`s argument that MF is superior. I clean my pads *all the time*, sometimes after every (section) pass, at least when doing aggressive work. I might do a whole panel when just Finishing, but even then I find that a clean pad simply does everything better. Erring on the side of caution perhaps, but it does seem to make a diff.
    I forgot about the Cyclo, I think it recently got a face lift with a dash of color added ...LoL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EdLancer View Post
    I forgot about the Cyclo, I think it recently got a face lift with a dash of color added ...LoL
    Heh heh, most everybody forgets the Cyclo....until I go on about it again [darn] how I love those things (can`t have just one!).

Yeah, the newer models have all sorts of, uhm....features....that I never realized were needed Now if that fancy adjustable speed option just went *faster* instead of slower....

Heh heh#2, I`m afraid to try retrofitting mine with the balancing stuff, don`t need to find out whether I appreciate such stuff.

Gee, I can`t quite remember when the Cyclos first came out..but yeah, some folks were RO/DA-polishing stuff before any Autopians were even born.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh, most everybody forgets the Cyclo....until I go on about it again [darn] how I love those things (can`t have just one!).

Yeah, the newer models have all sorts of, uhm....features....that I never realized were needed Now if that fancy adjustable speed option just went *faster* instead of slower....

Heh heh#2, I`m afraid to try retrofitting mine with the balancing stuff, don`t need to find out whether I appreciate such stuff.

Gee, I can`t quite remember when the Cyclos first came out..but yeah, some folks were RO/DA-polishing stuff before any Autopians were even born.
    I think Scottwax was an avid Cyclo user, wonder if he still visits these forums ?

Post Thanks / Like

IIRC he`s not using it so much these days, but I haven`t chatted with him since forever.

Post Thanks / Like

In Sweden many car dealerships still uses the cyclo. And it`s a tool used by the enthusiasts too. Their is some cheap copies of cyclo also that is the entry level polisher for many here.

Accumulator have you seen Flex Top Tool m2? It`s like a cyclo polisher with 2 backing plates 4" and you can use 2Χ6.5" pads on it. The throw is 16mm so you get a great cut and fast working polisher. It`s biggest benefit they say it has is the extreme smooth running polisher and quiet since it`s belt driven.

I don`t know if Flex has done this in an 110v version.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information