Post Thanks / Like

After a few years I’m back...new polisher or stick with the old?

It’s been a long while since I was last here. I have a PC and a gen 1 Cyclo with a bunch of pads. I love Megs 102 and 205. Been using this combo for the past few years and it works great.

Every once in a while I like to explore new options for something that would make my life easier. I’m not a huge fan of the PC. It vibrates my hands and arms to death. I only use it on small areas becaus it’s what I have. The cyclo is nice but it’s freakin heavy and feel unwieldy at times. But sometimes, it feels like the cyclo doesn’t correct as much as I need (maybe it’s the pads...my most aggressive pad is the orange)

Also, I was thinking about getting a new machine because well, I *think* I need one and I *think* it will make corrections easier - faster.

I know I want something that is a DA type of polisher. I think a full blown orbital is beyond my skill and wants. I’ve read many good things about the Flex 3401. But then coming back to the forums I see Rupes mentioned more and more. It has me intrigued.

Based on what I’ve read, I think I’m down to either a Flex or a Rupes. So, it’ll be 3401 vs 15es vs 21es. Or do I say the hell with it and just keep what I have? I don’t think I really need anything. It’s more of a want here.

By the way, what’s the difference between an LHR15 and LHR15es?

Other notes:

I’m not a professional. I just love detailing my cars (and sometimes friend’s). My current cars are a ‘17 Mercedes c300 vert., ‘16 Miata, and ‘13 BMW X5.

Speaking of upgrades, maybe lighting is next? Garage is 30x25. I have 12 T5 HO Flourescent fixtures in there. Should I go LED...oh well, another thread.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: After a few years I’m back...new polisher or stick with the old?

Welcome, and here`s my pick. This is the new Flex 15 mm. Longthrow.
    This is one smooth operator !!
    Likes WaxAddict, DaveT435, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

simplybao- Hey, a fellow (old version) Cyclo owner who also hates the PC`s vibration!

[INSERT good-natured teasin` about that Cyclo being heavy/unwieldy...nah, it`s the most user-friendly thing ever...heh heh heh]

I have/use/like/sometimes recommend the Flex 3401 but I can *never* get quite the final finish I want from it, just not *quite* as nice as my non-forced units produce. Since you have the Cyclo (could you tell that I still *LOVE* mine?!?) you could finish out with that if you do buy the 3401.

But OK, the newer Long-Throw polishers *are* very nice and smooth and if you (really) prefer the ergonomics of a Rupes/etc. over the Cyclo then there are some nice ones to choose from (I`d sure go 15mm instead of 21).

Pro or not, I`d want better Inspection Lighting as I can only see the worst flaws under (any) fluorescents (though they`re very good for texture/orangepeel evaluation).

Post Thanks / Like

I have/use/like/sometimes recommend the Flex 3401 but I can *never* get quite the final finish I want from it, just not *quite* as nice as my non-forced units produce. Since you have the Cyclo (could you tell that I still *LOVE* mine?!?) you could finish out with that if you do buy the 3401.

But OK, the newer Long-Throw polishers *are* very nice and smooth and if you (really) prefer the ergonomics of a Rupes/etc. over the Cyclo then there are some nice ones to choose from (I`d sure go 15mm instead of 21).

Pro or not, I`d want better Inspection Lighting as I can only see the worst flaws under (any) fluorescents (though they`re very good for texture/orangepeel evaluation).
    I do like my Cyclo. It’s a really great machine, but sometimes on the vertical panels it does get heavy. Using it on horizontal panels is quite lovely though. Maybe I get something smaller to replace the PC. Can I use the Rupes or 3401 with smaller pads? I’m really just looking to experiment. You’d have to pry the cyclo out of my cold dead hands because that machine is bomb proof and is stupid easy to use.

Any new tangled pads I should use on the Cyclo? I still use my cyclo pads and they work great, but is there better?

What kind of inspection light do you recommend? I know that’s off topic. I was thinking of getting some sort of high powered LED. Something on a stand would be awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

simplybao- AFAIK you can`t get much in the way of small pad setups for the 3401 and I don`t really know from Rupes (I have their Mini and it *is* pretty nice).

I`m still using the regular Cyclo pads too, and since Rupes owns Cyclo and that`s still what they`re selling for it...well, I think I`ll just stick with those.

And I don`t *know* what Inspection Lighting is good these days..trying to figure it out myself I too want something really *really* good with a tripod stand...Mary B just made a good case for the Griot`s ones, you might check out her recent thread (the title is pretty self explanatory).

Post Thanks / Like

I was and sorta still am in hibernation. But last week I started polishing some parts of my car... I have the 3401, rupes mini, nano... honestly.. I use the nano 1in rotary and 3401 the most... idk why but I can`t seem to work with DA. There might be something wrong with my technique. Nothing seems to happen when I use a DA but most swirls and love marks/signatures vanish when I put the nano rotary or 3401 to it. My only issue with the 3401 is my elbow starts hurting after A hour or so of use. I broke my elbow at one point recently.

I own the 3401,

Post Thanks / Like

Every since I picked up a Rupes 21 I have not looked back.
    The newer Mark II model with a 5" backing plate is awesome IMHO.
    It is my go-to with 5" Megs cutting and finishing microfiber discs.
    I`m not a big fan of M105. I switched to M101 and love the results.

Post Thanks / Like

AMiracleDetailing.com
    YouTube - Facebook - Instagram
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Thread Information