Post Thanks / Like

Anybody use Diamondite Glass Resurfacing Creme or Cerium Oxide glass polishing compound?

Every windshield after just a few years develops thousands of tiny pin hole pits and I am curious if anyone has used either one of these products to clear up the glass?
    Also what does the creme do, than just using the oxide which is the active ingedient in the creme?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anybody use Diamondite Glass Resurfacing Creme or Cerium Oxide glass polishing compound?

The Diamondite was an older version of the newer Cerium Oxide Glass polishes. When used with a rotary and a glass polishing pad it can do correction but it takes time and patience from my experience. A da and polishing pads will simply clean the surface but not really remove defects.

I use the CarPro
    Cerium Oxide Glass polish and it works well and takes care of the issues I have. But I have not tried to do major correction as I try and keep my vehicles taken care of.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anybody use Diamondite Glass Resurfacing Creme or Cerium Oxide glass polishing compound?

Diamondite doesn`t even exist anymore, and that creme was gone even when it did. It was good stuff, however. Not going to remove pits, though, will remove wiper trails with a lot of work.

There is a place that sells 3M sanding discs for use on glass...I`ve always wanted to give that a try, but there is some entry cost for the backing plates, and your windshield (or someone else`s) is not really the place to experiment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    The Diamondite was an older version of the newer Cerium Oxide Glass polishes. When used with a rotary and a glass polishing pad it can do correction but it takes time and patience from my experience. A da and polishing pads will simply clean the surface but not really remove defects.

I use the CarPro
    Cerium Oxide Glass polish and it works well and takes care of the issues I have. But I have not tried to do major correction as I try and keep my vehicles taken care of.
    Why not just the cerium oxide? What is in the CarPro glass polish that one would choose it over just the cerium oxide?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    Why not just the cerium oxide? What is in the CarPro glass polish that one would choose over just the cerium oxide?
    Pretty sure the carpro product is cerium oxide
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Why not just the cerium oxide? What is in the CarPro glass polish that one would choose over just the cerium oxide?

I think the main difference is that straight cerium oxide is a powder/ product that would need to be mixed into a polishing paste. The CarPro version is basically a pre mixed version that will work with a polisher.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Every windshield after just a few years develops thousands of tiny pin hole pits and I am curious if anyone has used either one of these products to clear up the glass?
    Also what does the creme do, than just using the oxide which is the active ingedient in the creme?
    I disagree with your statement that “every” windshield develops 1000’s of tiny pin hole pits after a few years. I regularly drive two vehicles and both windshields on the vehicles have no noticeable pits: one a 2014 Tahoe with 120,000 miles and the 2nd a 2016 Explorer with 60,000 miles. They never leave city streets, rarely get over 50 mph

Just pointing out it is the high speed impacts from debris (usually thrown up from vehicles ahead) hitting the windshield at highway speeds that cause the pitting.

I have a 2006 Avalon that had 68,000 miles on it when I bought it in 2007. I have never seen a windshield and front bumper (black) that was so pitted so soon. I figured it was a tailgating salesperson who drove it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailng View Post
    I disagree with your statement that “every” windshield develops 1000’s of tiny pin hole pits after a few years. I regularly drive two vehicles and both windshields on the vehicles have no noticeable pits: one a 2014 Tahoe with 120,000 miles and the 2nd a 2016 Explorer with 60,000 miles. They never leave city streets, rarely get over 50 mph

Just pointing out it is the high speed impacts from debris (usually thrown up from vehicles ahead) hitting the windshield at highway speeds that cause the pitting.

I have a 2006 Avalon that had 68,000 miles on it when I bought it in 2007. I have never seen a windshield and front bumper (black) that was so pitted so soon. I figured it was a tailgating salesperson who drove it.
    Just about every car I have owned has these tiny pitting. Normally the glass looks great and smooth a butter until sunlight it`s hits it just right and you`ll see it.
    My Ferrari had it , my 68 Charger, TR6, 77 MB, 76 Carrera, my 2016 Porsche with just over 20k, my 04 Mini, 66 Shelby 350 Hertz, and the 500 KR.
    Other people`s vehicles, whether its a low mileage RR, or a Mclaren, Lambo, all have it to some degree. Remind you I am a true car nut and my vehicles all look as if they are going to a concourse event today.
    In the end it doesn`t matter if one person has pitting and another doesn`t, I came here to find a solution to my situation.
    Here`s an article that got my interested:
    How to remove tiny pinhole pits in glass windows using a rotary buffer

Post Thanks / Like

Just about every car I have owned has these tiny pitting. Normally the glass looks great and smooth a butter until sunlight it`s hits it just right and you`ll see it.
    My Ferrari had it , my 68 Charger, TR6, 77 MB, 76 Carrera, my 2016 Porsche with just over 20k, my 04 Mini, 66 Shelby 350 Hertz, and the 500 KR.
    Other people`s vehicles, whether its a low mileage RR, or a Mclaren, Lambo, all have it to some degree. Remind you I am a true car nut and my vehicles all look as if they are going to a concourse event today.
    In the end it doesn`t matter if one person has pitting and another doesn`t, I came here to find a solution to my situation.
    Here`s an article that got my interested:
    How to remove tiny pinhole pits in glass windows using a rotary buffer
    My sarcasm wasn’t obvious in my post. My comment did come off as “snarky”. I apologize for the rudeness, not my intention

I have used Carpro’s Ceriglass which uses cerium oxide as the abrasive. I used Carpro’s rayon glass polishing pad via rotary. This is by far the most difficult automotive type polishing I’ve attempted. My 2006 Sienna was the test subject, the Ceriglass removed some wiper burn, but the pitting remained for the most part.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailng View Post
    My sarcasm wasn’t obvious in my post. My comment did come off as “snarky”. I apologize for the rudeness, not my intention

I have used Carpro’s Ceriglass which uses cerium oxide as the abrasive. I used Carpro’s rayon glass polishing pad via rotary. This is by far the most difficult automotive type polishing I’ve attempted. My 2006 Sienna was the test subject, the Ceriglass removed some wiper burn, but the pitting remained for the most part.
    Thanks for the info. Didn`t catch the sarscasm. No problem. Do you think if you kept at (with the polishing), over time you would have made more progress?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. Didn`t catch the sarscasm. No problem. Do you think if you kept at (with the polishing), over time you would have made more progress?
    I definitely think more time spent polishing would remove more pitting. It was very hard for me to notice results as I was polishing. I would recommend working in small sections.

Thread Information