Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Some thoughts on GG BOSS 21

I know I struggled last year the whole Rupes v BOSS choice and even after reading everything I could find on the subject ya just never know until you yourself actually drive `em both. When at Barret-Jackson in Scottsdale last January, I got to play with a G21 in the Griots tent for a bit and it was enough to pique my curiosity enough to look into grabbing a G21 at some point.

Normally when time is of the essence and some compounding needs to be done, the Flex 3401, M101 on gray LC Force pads takes care of things like an old beat up van in a relatively expedient manner, although I`ve also used Rupes 15 Mk2 with billet backing plate on these types of vehicles as well. The G21 with 6.5" BOSS Microfiber pads and Megs D300 ate this thing up even quicker than the Flex and far less taxing; 4 passes and move to next section. I`m quite impressed with this machine and really look forward to using it again.

i think the ergonomics of it vs the Rupes (in my case) makes it much easier to use than the Rupes, although the Rupes is still noticeably smoother for the most part and feels more solid/monolithic. The G21 kinda sorta feels more `assembled` if that makes any sense, but is still very smooth and comfortable to use; it`s slightly more compact compared to the Rupes and the angle of the handle and more rounded rubber grips keep me from teeter-tottering the machine/pad as much, eliminating some measure of stalling.

Even though it`s a relatively flat vehicle in this case (Ford E250 panel vsn), and ideal for a 21mm stroke, there are still a few curves over the wheels and some recessed body accent lines that require more attention with the Rupes as opposed to the Flex, and the G21 took care of those with ease, hardly any stalling and quite willing to have the pad edge pushed into recesses to polish. While not apples to apples (21mm v 15mm) it`s become obvious that each has pluses and minuses compared to the other, mostly very minor things.

Regardless, anybody who dismisses the BOSS machines without having tried em, or disparages them as cheap Chinese knockoffs should probably rethink that narrow-minded view. The BOSS is certainly a solid piece of kit, worthy of consideration. Looking forward to trying in a more curvaceous vehicle to see if my current impressions hold. It`s a more comfortable machine to hold (for me) than the Rupes, with more rounded edges and rubber grips/inserts.

I did follow up on the hood with a yellow BOSS Pad and Scholl S40 and it worked very nicely and quickly; that extra 6mm of throw over a 15mm machine really covers a lot of ground efficiently.

As for a few more thoughts on BOSS v. Rupes,

What I prefer w the BOSS:
    1. Variable speed trigger. Much more preferable to me, very easy to set working speed and then use variable speed trigger to slowly spread polish initially and then move right up to working speed without having to adjust speed dial. A little item but when you consider how often you do this at the start of each section,` it`s a more convenient approach than Rupes slow start.

2. Ergonomics. For me, BOSS is more comfortable to hold with its softer rubber grips here and there, bit more compact and rounded chassis as well. It just seems to rest in my hands in a more natural manner. Rupes is a bit more `square-ish` with regards to chassis.

3. Usage/effectiveness/learning curve. The BOSS just seemed to be easier to use effectively right outta the box. While it has a more powerful motor, spec-wise, than the Rupes, I`m not sure how (or if) that translates into more torque, thus less stalling.

I didn`t use any if the included washers to space the plate a bit off of the shroud for 100% free spinning and I`m not sure I will. The Rupes seems to have more shroud to plate drag/contact in its stock configuration as when cleanng/spinning` a microfiber pad with compressed air on the Rupes, the stock set up does not allow the pad to spin while compressed air is blown on pad. The G21 will spin while being blown off for effective pad cleaning. There is still some contact with the G21 as when pad stops spinning when power is switched off, it does not completely spin freely until momentum stops it; the last little bit of rotation stops in a manner which indicates friction is involved in the final stopping rather than loss of momentum.

What I prefer w the Rupes:
    1. It`s a Rupes. For me, anyway, with the Rupes being the original long throw,` there`s just a certain mystique` (well warranted)` about their machines. The user experience with the Rupes is a very relaxing, almost artistic experience once you get your technique dialed in, which I still have yet to completely do; getting there but still a ways to go.

2. Smooth and soothing while in use. The Rupes still has an advantage in overall smoothness, especially with a billet backing plate bolted on and a yellow or white Rupes pad on it. It`s a combo that just makes me want to polish something for the sake of using it and enjoying the feel. The sound level of the Rupes is smooth as well, a consistent soothing `hum of quality`; G21 is a more mechanical sound although in no way objectionable

3. Rupes has 25ft cord option, not avaliable on G21 that I saw. Minor inconvenience at most but worthy of note.

Pretty much right after ordering the G21 I was on the fence regarding if it was dumb or not, being only an occasional hobbyist with the Rupes 15 and the Flex 3401 on the shelf already; after using it for a few hours, I have no regrets in buying and trying the G21, that`s for sure.

Now the Duetto I picked up last holiday season, that`s turning out to be a dumb purchase...have used it for about 15 minutes so far. With a Rupes Mini, LHR15, Flex 3401 and now G21 I just can`t think of a situation where I might find it useful. Oops.

G21 & LHR15 Mk2 side by side:
    Thanks Coleroad, Stokdgs, Mary B, RaskyR1, felixthecat thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some thoughts on GG BOSS 21

Thanks for the feedback.

Try using that duetto for final polishing. It is not as aggressive and finishes out at time better than an aggressive long throw. Especially on those finicky paints. I use mine more than I thought I would.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Thanks Stokdgs, Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for another great write up! Great description of their personalities and pros / “cons”.

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    ... being only an occasional hobbyist ...
    Budget, if you’re an occasional hobbyist, then I don’t even rank on the scale! Always look forward to hearing your thoughts and (many) experiences with products.
    Likes Stokdgs, Mary B, felixthecat liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent write up, after working with Jeff Brown and talking to him, I can assure you this is no knock off! I myself find that the Griot’s is smoother than my Rupes was. Now I had a Rupes from the first batch brought here, so I haven’t used the latest and greatest models. I would get a 5 inch backing plate for the 21 also. It turns the 21 into a beast!. And Griot’s gives you the washers without having to worry about the lifetime warranty.
    Likes Oneheadlite, Stokdgs, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great article and info! Thank you for taking the time to post this up! Very informative.
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes Oneheadlite, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My G21 is def more ergonomic, stalls allot less than ES, had limited time with the mark II

Vibration wise, I think both Rupes are smoother in actual machine vibration, but I get less tingles with the Griots due to the rubber dampenng the frequency prior to absorbing into my hands

I purchased a Rupes 21mm essentric and a mark 2 6in BP in hopes to smooth it out even more
    http://facebook.com/ShineStruckAutoDetailing/

http://shinestruck.net
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

Try using that duetto for final polishing. It is not as aggressive and finishes out at time better than an aggressive long throw. Especially on those finicky paints. I use mine more than I thought I would.
    It`s kinda funny about the Duetto in that it was my first potential choice when I wanted to try something beyond the GG6.

After much pondering, including large spreadsheets summarizing all aspects of Duetto, LHR15 Mk2 and G15 such as pads, accessories, complimentary `system` compounds and polishes, costs, the `hard numbers` pointed to G15 or Duetto...and I ended up with LHR15 because I just `wanted` the Rupes, partly due to Mike Phillips oft-used phrase "Forget everything you know about DA`s when you pick up a Rupes". It definitely was a skill I wanted in addition to better, quicker results.

So it was actually the Duetto that let to the LHR15, which led to the Flex 3401 to see how that compared to ling throw machines, which led to the LHR75 Mini to see how that compared to GG6 with 3" plate, then the idea of G21 to see how that compared to the LHR15 with respect to feel and the extra 6mm of the G21, and holiday sales returned enough curiosity regarding the Duetto. It just took me a little longer to act on actually buying the G21.

I think one thing I shy away from with the Duetto is the form factor of the Duetto. The smaller, rounded chassis is nice but the on/off switch and speed dial in the end of the tool kinda bugs me during the transition from slow speed spreading of polish to working speed of making actual functional passes. I`m stupendously lazy (and somewhat un-coordinated apparently) and that little hitch in process flow bugs me a bit.

The progressive trigger on the Flex and G21 are aspects of using them I really appreciate and even the slow start of the Rupes 15 lessens this minor irritant as the speed wheel is located it a more accessible position.

We`ll see how it plays out when the nice weather finally comes and I work with more cars ad opposed to larger vans and trucks.

Also, with the 12mm Mini and its 4" pads I`m not sure the 12mm Duetto is different enough for me to go through the inconvenience of pulling it out. Stupendously lazy, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    Budget, if you’re an occasional hobbyist, then I don’t even rank on the scale!
    Lol...you should see me sometimes in the middle of a job, especially the work trucks which serve mostly as platforms to carry coatings around. Have some interesting, uh, methods.

I`ll bet we do have the best looking fleet of service vehicles in town; out of our 15 vans, 12 are coated with some type of ceramic/quartz as are 3 out of 5 of our small pickup trucks. I actually convinced the Operations guy to fix 2 of the uncoated vans (minor but noticeable dents in rocker panels) so they will be `coating worthy` and I can finish the entire active fleet.

It`s really brought an interesting perspective to coatings in that they really excel in the fleet arena. Being working vehicles for a swimming pool company, hardness and scratch resistance (always a contentious topic in coating discussions) takes a back seat to overall great appearance with little to no maintenance.

Vehicles are gonna get scratched and marred a bit during the course of daily use but from 5ft away these vans always look freshly washed when pulling in a client`s driveway or sitting out front of a commercial/municipal location.

So that`s something. Techs also seem to take better care of the vehicles when they`re always looking pretty nice although I do spend some time telling them to quit leaning on their hoods on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Excellent write up, after working with Jeff Brown and talking to him, I can assure you this is no knock off! I myself find that the Griot’s is smoother than my Rupes was. Now I had a Rupes from the first batch brought here, so I haven’t used the latest and greatest models. I would get a 5 inch backing plate for the 21 also. It turns the 21 into a beast!. And Griot’s gives you the washers without having to worry about the lifetime warranty.
    I made sure to order a 5" plate and full sets (6 each) of microfiber, orange and yellow 5.5" BOSS pads as well. Sure do enjoy the ground covered effectively with the 6.5" pads and 21mm throw; really shrinks large, flat panels like hoods and unobstructed roofs.

Still look forward to using the LHR15 as well, there is something intangibly enjoyable about the setup when time is not a limiting factor and I can mentally get into that pleasing `Rupes groove`; still need some work to make Rupes technique `mindlessly/automatically` efficient.

G21 is a really nice machine, much more so than I expected. I`m not sure I`ll even use the washers, the plate doesn`t seem to have near the resistance with the shroud as the Rupes although I suppose I should try them at some point.
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Budget always great reviews and professionally done
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great review. I`m just waiting till the day I can pick one up. I have an extra 5" BP for it now.
    Thanks for all the info.

Post Thanks / Like

The G15 works great for me....<3 the Groits m/f pads.

Post Thanks / Like

The Griot`s machines are really fantastic, I use the G15 at work and the GG6 for home gaming. But let me say this, when I am working on a curvy car, nothing, besides a Forced Rotation DA, beats the GG6 with a LC CCS pad, it is a contour killer.

Post Thanks / Like

That day has apparently come, eh? I think you`ll enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B View Post
    Great review. I`m just waiting till the day I can pick one up. I have an extra 5" BP for it now.
    Thanks for all the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I have been a G21 owner since shortly after there release. I have put a ton of hours into it and just had to send it in for replacement as the whole counter weight assembly became loose. No questions asked by Griots and they authorized a replacement. My only gripe is that they don`t have any in stock for the next few weeks.

Good thing I stepped up and bought my Rupes 21 Mark ll or I would be in a bad spot lol.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p

Post Thanks / Like

I have both 21 and 15 mk2 and while the 15mk2 is great the 21 mk2 has more torque and i have hard time to believe that G21 matches it. And i agree, long throws corrects faster than 3401 or even mille.

I use duetto mostly for sanding and finishing. Need to try it with 6" bp like Jason Kilmer does.

Btw Boss`s 900W like other chinese are input wats. Rupes 500W is output.
    Rupes 21 MK3 | Rupes 15 MK3 | Rupes Duetto | Rupes Mini | Rupes Nano iBrid | Rupes LH19E

Post Thanks / Like

Just so you know, it’s not Chinese design, and from experience it does match the Rupes as far as performance.
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information