Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some thoughts on GG BOSS 21

Yeah it is designed in usa but made in China. Im not saying its bad machine. What i am saying that its not fair to compare 15 to 21, alteast with Rupes, 21 has quite bit more torque. And many people think Boss etc. 900W is compareable to Rupes 500W and thats not the case.

Hopefully Rupes Mk3 will come soon and with samekind trigger as mille and brushless motor.
    Rupes 21 MK3 | Rupes 15 MK3 | Rupes Duetto | Rupes Mini | Rupes Nano iBrid | Rupes LH19E
    Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is Rupes doesn’t warranty anything if you don’t follow the instructions to the letter. Not even a cord. Heaven forbid you put Kevin’s washer on it! Griot’s give a lifetime warranty and gives you washers if you want to use them. Had a 15 and a 21 for almost 3 years usd 6 days a week and haven’t even needed to change the brushes yet.
    Likes Mary B liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion neither Griots or Rupes needs any more power. As they are now running them on max will delaminate your pads if you aren’t very careful. Considering just a few years ago we were using PCs or rotaries to get the job done. I never used the washer mod on the original Rupes and there is no way I would use it now. I do have the backing plate from Kamekazee (sp) just for the smoothness and love it and I also love my Rupes tools! I’ve got the MKII tools but I still use my old Rupes legacy models and get great results.
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Bummer...was using the BOSS 21, put it down in after a section, came back about 15 minutes later, dead as dead could be. No noise, no start, no nuthin`

Crummy time to be sending things back and forth but back to Griots it goes, new one will be on the way but given the holidays, probably gonna take some time. Really like the 21...just kinda gave up the ghost w/ no warning. First thought was brushes but they don`t just give up like that do they? Rupes 15 Mk2 plugged into same outlet works like a charm so it`s not something like that. When my GG6 had a cord issue, relatively painless to get a new unit so this is just a minor inconvenience...

Shame `cuz have a couple of large, flat sided vehicles to deal with and the 21mm really chews up the real estate in those situations. *sigh*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Bummer...was using the BOSS 21, put it down in after a section, came back about 15 minutes later, dead as dead could be. No noise, no start, no nuthin`

Crummy time to be sending things back and forth but back to Griots it goes, new one will be on the way but given the holidays, probably gonna take some time. Really like the 21...just kinda gave up the ghost w/ no warning. First thought was brushes but they don`t just give up like that do they? Rupes 15 Mk2 plugged into same outlet works like a charm so it`s not something like that. When my GG6 had a cord issue, relatively painless to get a new unit so this is just a minor inconvenience...

Shame `cuz have a couple of large, flat sided vehicles to deal with and the 21mm really chews up the real estate in those situations. *sigh*
    Did yours come with a set of new brushes? Mine did, they aren’t difficult to install and are often times the problem. There could of course be a variety of no start reasons but this might be worth a look.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Did yours come with a set of new brushes? Mine did, they aren’t difficult to install and are often times the problem. There could of course be a variety of no start reasons but this might be worth a look.
    Yep, gonna put `em in and see what happens. Thought brushes were a more dramatic exit, some indication. This was `one moment it worked, set it down, next it didn`t` type of deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Yep, gonna put `em in and see what happens. Thought brushes were a more dramatic exit, some indication. This was `one moment it worked, set it down, next it didn`t` type of deal.
    Read my reply in your other thread. FWIW any time the brushes needed changing it didn`t signal anything, just didn`t turn back on.
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    Read my reply in your other thread. FWIW any time the brushes needed changing it didn`t signal anything, just didn`t turn back on.
    Bingo!

Took the brushes out, swapped from side to side for giggles, back in business. Pretty sure side to side swap was irrelevant and they just needed `re-seating` but props to Griots Garage for designing it in such a manner that dealing with brushes is about a 3 minute excercise.

Thanks to RZJZA80 (and everyone) for the tip(s); was not looking forward to riding the Flex 3401 across all the paint on a few Ford Transit Vans. Not sure why I thought brush issues would be a bit more dramatic when they reached end of life.

Also have some larger Rupes yellow pads coming to use with BOSS 21; I like the BOSS pads but the Rupes yellow works so nicely with Sonax Perfect Finish for what I need in this case; BOSS Orange a bit too firm, BOSS Yellow a bit too soft. Rupes yellow nicely in between...just right.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Thanks RZJZA80 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The Rupes yellow is a great pad. I can’t stand the blue or green Rupes pads but couldn’t live without the yellow. By far my most used pad. It’s the Goldilocks pad, just right.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, felixthecat liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information