Post Thanks / Like

B&S Uro-Tec or HDO pads for 15mm machine? What matching PC pads to choose?

I am getting back into detail (hobbyist) after about a 18 year break, other than wash, decon/clay, LSP (holy S&$* its been that long). I have a PC that used the old LC flat orange, white, blacks. I didn’t really like those pads and they got trashed in the florida humity and heat (distingrated). I have heard good things about Buff and Shine and the LC HDO pads? If I have both a Long Throw and 8,, DA would I want the same pad system? I don’t want to have too many options as this is just for my cars and some friends. I never used the LC black pads only the orange and white. How do the uro-tecs compare, or should I be looking at the HDO?

Get 15mm throw polisher with 5" backing plate (not sure of the brand but not rupes, maybe adams/torq)
    Get Maguaris 6” MF cutting pad - Do I need this if getting the maroon cutting pad?
    Get Buff Shine 6” Maroon cutting pad
    Get Buff Shine 6’ Yellow heavy polish pad
    Get Buff Shine 6’ White Pad - is this pad necessary is it like the LC white or the black?
    Get 3` backing pad for the PC

So many questions. Basically if you were going to start over with a PC and 15mm machine what pad set for the hobbyist that works well, wont breakdown, and has good cut and finish? Any particular backing plate, my LC PC backing plate the foam rotted away.

Thanks!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: B&S Uro-Tec or HDO pads for 15mm machine? What matching PC pads to choose?

Which long throw machine do you have? I cant imagine using the PC again for anything but maybe applying wax after upgrading to a Boss or Rupes. Id get the pads you want for the long throw and not even worry about the PC anymore.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the b&s euro tech maroon and yellow but god blue finishes amazingly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Which long throw machine do you have? I cant imagine using the PC again for anything but maybe applying wax after upgrading to a Boss or Rupes. Id get the pads you want for the long throw and not even worry about the PC anymore.
    Maybe the Adams 15mm swirl killer, Maxshine M15 Master, or Torque 15mm. Im pretty sure im more comfortable with a 15 but if i were to go 21mm then the Shurhold.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by estcstm3 View Post
    Maybe the Adams 15mm swirl killer, Maxshine M15 Master, or Torque 15mm. Im pretty sure im more comfortable with a 15 but if i were to go 21mm then the Shurhold.
    Just an FYI. Mary, either on here or Autogeek bought the 21 mm Shurhold. Ran it for a couple minutes and sent it back. Needless to say she was not impressed at all with it. I`ve never even seen one so I can`t say one way or the other, just passing information along. Have you looked at the Griot`s?? I have a G21, as well as two or three Flex machines and two or three Rupes machines, it`s been a great machine. Great power, especially with the five inch backing plate. Hard to beat the lifetime warranty also. Since you won`t be using it much if you have a problem it will probably be two or three years down the road.

Post Thanks / Like

so for the purposes of the pad help lets assume its the G15 im still all wrapped around the axel concerning pads...

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

so for the purposes of the pad help lets assume its the G15 im still all wrapped around the axel concerning pads...
    Whatever pads you decide to get, it will always work better if you go to a 5" backing plate and the pads that fit that plate, which are usually about 1/4 wider..

The smaller diameter (from the 6" size) will rotate easier, which is always preferred in order to break down the material you are using and letting it get really acquainted with the paintwork for as long as possible..

I have found that using big pads means a lot more work to keep it all pressed down equally, and then that big thing might want to hit things that you don`t want to hit, etc..
    The only time I use 6" pads for anything is when I Detail an Airplane, or those big, long, go forever, Vans with all those long flat areas... Or a quick job with an AIO on something that is not going to be really corrected - just a quick put something on it quickly and get it out the door, etc..

You can also get smaller backing plates and pads if you want.. They go down to 1" backing plates and pads for my Rotary, so I am sure that they do the same with the Random Orbital machines..

I am excited to see that you are back to working on your vehicles again ! This will be fun ! There are so many great choices out there since the Porter Cable days..

Good luck with your research !
    Dan F

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Just an FYI. Mary, either on here or Autogeek bought the 21 mm Shurhold. Ran it for a couple minutes and sent it back. Needless to say she was not impressed at all with it. I`ve never even seen one so I can`t say one way or the other, just passing information along. Have you looked at the Griot`s?? I have a G21, as well as two or three Flex machines and two or three Rupes machines, it`s been a great machine. Great power, especially with the five inch backing plate. Hard to beat the lifetime warranty also. Since you won`t be using it much if you have a problem it will probably be two or three years down the road.
    Roger that on the Shurhold machine...

My friend the Best Boat Detailer in Seattle, WA., gave me one to evaluate for him, and when I stopped laughing, I put it on a panel and was amazed how easily I could stop it from rotating and almost running, with one hand at full speed.. It made a lot of noise but didn`t really have the power...
    Dan F
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I would look into Griots Garage BOSS pad system. They are thin and made for the longthrow polishers but since thin would work great on the XP too. Their backing plates seems to be well ventilated and durable. I would get the 2" 3" 5" backing plates to the XP. An easy system of pads and their polish seems to be great too. Then when you have used them and wants to explore more you could test out different pads and polishes.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been running anything and everything on my 2 15mms. Flex & Boss. They all perform well.
    The only ones that gave me trouble were the B&S fat Micros, they expanded with the heat and formed around the BPs. Freaked me out !!

Lately been liking Longthrow MF (thin,with the hole in the middle, for heat to escape). For cut.
    Spider cuts from Scholl`s. Blue heavy ,purple med.
    CGs Quantum Hex Logic. Orange heavy, green med. Alittle loud but tough pad.
    White Rupes for finishing. Only white Rupes for finishing.

Please post back on what machine you went with ??
    Boss 15mm is all that. The Boss
    Flex 15mm is my favorite to run. Quiet and smooooth.
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B View Post
    I`ve been running anything and everything on my 2 15mms. Flex & Boss. They all perform well.
    The only ones that gave me trouble were the B&S fat Micros, they expanded with the heat and formed around the BPs. Freaked me out !!

Lately been liking Longthrow MF (thin,with the hole in the middle, for heat to escape). For cut.
    Spider cuts from Scholl`s. Blue heavy ,purple med.
    CGs Quantum Hex Logic. Orange heavy, green med. Alittle loud but tough pad.
    White Rupes for finishing. Only white Rupes for finishing.

Please post back on what machine you went with ??
    Boss 15mm is all that. The Boss
    Flex 15mm is my favorite to run. Quiet and smooooth.
    Which flex the forced rotation or their rupes equivalent?

Post Thanks / Like

Which flex the forced rotation or their rupes equivalent?
    It would be the XFE-7-150. Its their 15mm free spinning DA. I have that machine as well, and although it doesn`t have the power of my 21mk2, I find myself usually picking it up first because of its ergonomics.

Thread Information