Post Thanks / Like

Has Anyone Received and Tried Out the New Rupes Mille Forced-Rotation Polisher Yet ?

This is more a question of curiosity (it always IS from you, Captain Obvious!!) about the new Rupe`s Mille forced-rotation polisher. This stems from a number of posts within this section of the forum from those of you detailers, both amateur and professional, who keep asking about buying a new polisher and which one others would suggest to buy. There a plethora of machine polishers choices now on the market, including the new Makita PO5000C, and I am wondering how this new Mille stacks up against them. It seems like the Mille is a polishing machine game-changer, bridging the gap between long-throw DA`s and rotaries (or so it says on the Autopia Care website).

I am hoping some fellow Autopian will be reviewing this new machine shortly. If Todd @ Rupes wants to chime in, I would be more than willing to listen (well, read actually) and learn.

With the advent of spring and warmer weather, the detailing season is about to start in earnest and as stated, decisions about which polishing machine(s) to buy are in the balance by many detailers and having all the information and opinions from fellow Autopians about this polishing machine and others is invaluable.
    GB detailer
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has Anyone Received and Tried Out the New Rupes Mille Forced-Rotation Polisher Yet ?

Im very curious as to how it stacks up against the Makita. They have very similar specs (I think the Mille has a slightly higher RPM?).

If I wasn`t so invested into the long throw machines it consider buying one, but between pads and tools Ive got well over $1k into my Rupes 21 and my new Rupes 75e. Maybe someday down the road

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has Anyone Received and Tried Out the New Rupes Mille Forced-Rotation Polisher Yet ?

I have only used the FLEX 3401 and can only compare it to that. I was able to give the Mille a `test drive` at Mobile Tech Expo in January, and it a smoother version of the 3401. It still wanted to `walk` the body lines on the Fiat 500 front clip RUPES uses at their booth, but not as much as the 3401. Otherwise it had a similar feel to the DA Bigfoot machines.
    Likes Mary B liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, felixthecat thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was hoping to check it out at DF but I swear I saw someone post that Rupes was not attending.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    I was hoping to check it out at DF but I swear I saw someone post that Rupes was not attending.
    Dylan told me several weeks ago they are not attending, and the guys at the RUPES booth at MTE confirmed it. There is a good chance the AG will have some RUPES machines to check out at their booths though. May want to check with Meghan.
    Likes 512detail, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

OK, so I am bumping this thread with hopes that someone will respond with more info about this polishing machine.
    Has any Autopian received one yet??
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure I read some where( a thread here or AGO) where a very prominent registered user has had one for 6 months
    People with connections always seem to get that type of treatment

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by re-tired View Post
    Pretty sure I read some where( a thread here or AGO) where a very prominent registered user has had one for 6 months
    People with connections always seem to get that type of treatment
    It could be someone in the EU with the 240v power outlets. Here it has been out since september oktober last year. It has not been that kind of rave about it as the longthrow got. Maybe since the 3401vrg don`t has that popularity that it has in US.

I think that it`s going to be to the new users of polishers or them that revive their intrest in polishing or they that have a 8mm free spinning DA and are upgradeing. The ones that have the 3401vrg maybe not willing to pay for the mille. And those with the longthrows are satisfied with that kind of polishers. It`s not a break grounding tool but a more refined from what is already existing.

The words says it`s a very smooth running forced rotation da. And is close to Rupes 15mm mkII in cutting ability. The big thing for some is it`s rotates clockwise.

I wonder where some have trouble with finishing on some paints with the 3401vrg. If the Mille have the same problem. But time will tell when more gets more time behind it.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I have one. I wrote a review on AGO. Writing reviews isn`t really my thing but for what it`s worth I`ll add the link. It was Ronin47 who has had one for 6 months and it is the European model. If you have any specific questions let me know.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ighlight=Mille
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Yes I have one. I wrote a review on AGO. Writing reviews isn`t really my thing but for what it`s worth I`ll add the link. It was Ronin47 who has had one for 6 months and it is the European model. If you have any specific questions let me know.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ighlight=Mille
    Yes Dave! Great review!

I`ve had mine now for about a week- I was able to find one slightly used on a Facebook detailing group for a good price.

Some initial thoughts compared to the 3401 (which I just sold BTW). First of all, it`s a smoother and quieter version of the 3401 that also doesn`t get as hot. The long power cord is great and the variable trigger is definitely a nice upgrade. It also "walks" a tad less. The tail stock is very comfortable to hold onto, as is the updated head stock (which now has a soft upper piece as well as lower). Rotation being clockwise behaves a bit more like a rotary (and practically every other "grinding" style tool), so it`s more intuitive (although I never really struggled with the 3401`s CCW rotation).

For pads, I deviate from the Rupes system approach and have tried B&S uro-fiber, uro-wool and LC hybrids, all with good success. Using M100, the pads do generate a bit of "hop", but adding a drop or two of M205 seems to smooth the operation out a bit, albeit lowering the amount of cut. I have a one-step correction coming up next week on a 05 Mustang, and I`m hoping to use the Mille with either some Sonax cut and finish, or scholl s20 black.

One personal thing though- I feel that the Rupes head grip takes some getting used to- felt the same way with my 21mk2. Flex uses a nice chunky grip on their tools which (for me) is easier to hold onto. With the Mille, I notice the hand on the top grip tends to get fatigued sooner than the 3401 (never noticed that on any flex tools). Personally, I prefer the ergo on the flex tools ATM, but no denying Mille is a great tool!

I think it has been said before, but if you don`t have a forced rotation, the Mille (or PO5000c) would make a great addition to your arsenal. If you have a 3401, the difference is preferential, as the performance gains will be marginal IMO.
    Likes KBsToy, GearHead_1, mc2hill liked this post
    Thanks KBsToy thanked for this post

Thread Information