Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for some Griot`s / BOSS pointers

So I`m trying to educate myself for whenever it might be that I finally get to put pad to paint again.

I`ve been a long time Griot`s user, starting off back with their Machine Polish 3 and 2. I`ve done a handful of cars using that system, then picked up some of the Complete Compound when it came out as it was advertised to cut like a 2 but finish like a 3. I`ve used it on the normal orange polishing pads and their Fast Finish microfiber pad, but never was 100% sure that I was utilizing the microfiber pad fully.

Since then, I`ve also added the BOSS Correcting and Perfecting Creams and pads to my arsenal. I stuck with the Correcting Cream VS Fast Correcting Cream as I`m not going for Show Car perfection, and I also don`t have a paint thickness gauge.

The cars in question are both Audis, my Avant is Oyster Gray and my wife`s Q5 is Phantom Black (Both metallic). Both cars have a mix of factory paint and repainted panels.

So far I`ve only had a chance to play around a bit on my (factory paint) hood. Using the Correcting Cream, GG6 w/ 5" vented backing plate and 5.5" orange Boss Correcting pad, it seemed to be a bit slow going to get noticeable correction of what I would call average swirls. I`m not chasing RIDS, as it`s just a daily driver.

Finally, the questions:

Given the supplies I have to work with (Complete Compound, BOSS Correcting/Perfecting creams and pads, Standard orange pads, Fast Finish Pads, BOSS Microfiber pads), what would you folks recommend?

What is the difference between working with the Complete Compound vs the BOSS creams as far as working cycles/wipe off?

What pad priming technique/machine speed is best for the microfiber pads?

Sorry to be so wordy leading up to my questions, just wanted to get all the background covered to help get the best answers. Also, I know there are a number of other great products out there from other brands, but having a pretty strong brand loyalty helps keep me out of the poor house.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for some Griot`s / BOSS pointers

Other question I forgot to ask - 25% off sale with free shipping next door (Sister site) today. If I added to the aresenal, Would I be better served getting the Fast Correcting Cream, or a couple of the Fast Correcting pads? Both are about the same $$.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    The cars in question are both Audis,..[with] a mix of factory paint and repainted panels.... Using the Correcting Cream, GG6 w/ 5" vented backing plate and 5.5" orange Boss Correcting pad, it seemed to be a bit slow going..
    Our Audis are also partially repainted. That " slow going" is, IME, typical for Audis (exception being one batch of Blue S4s for some reason).

I don`t know from the BOSS systems, and will be interested to hear answers to your Qs. That said...

If I added to the aresenal, Would I be better served getting the Fast Correcting Cream, or a couple of the Fast Correcting pads?
    AFAIK, the Fast Correcting Creme is a lot more popular here than the (white) GG BOSS Fast Correcting Pads. I`m pretty sure that I`ll be using MF for aggressive work with my BOSS15, but again, I want to hear what people with first-hand experience say (hello, Mike Lambert ).
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The boss fast correcting cream paired with the boss microfiber cutting pad makes for a excellent cutting step on just about any clear out there. I personally have never used the complete compound but I can just about guarantee that the fast correcting cream blows it away. The perfecting cream is also very nice and has worked well.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Likes Stokdgs, BadgerRivFan, felixthecat liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Correcting Cream and the orange BOSS pad is decent 1-step combo on most paints but on typical Audi paint it`s a pretty mild combination and I`ve actually used it as my finishing step for a lot of them. The Fast Correct Cream with MF pads would be my go to cutting combo. The white foam will also cut and finish very well but they take some getting used to and need a few panels/passes for the foam to warm/soften up a bit.

I`ve not played with their Complete Compound but the BOSS line, especially FCC are some of the best on the market IMO.

Technique is obviously a factor too.
    Likes Stokdgs, Mary B liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, felixthecat thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

RaskyR1- For some reason I can`t help but think that the GG BOSS stuff is kinda...uhm, "normal by US user standards" compared to some of the more esoteric stuff you`ve used and posted about. The way you like it speaks volumes IMO.

The white foam will.. take some getting used to and need a few panels/passes for the foam to warm/soften up a bit.
    That`s the kind of thing that makes *me* think "no thanks".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    RaskyR1- For some reason I can`t help but think that the GG BOSS stuff is kinda...uhm, "normal by US user standards" compared to some of the more esoteric stuff you`ve used and posted about. The way you like it speaks volumes IMO.

That`s the kind of thing that makes *me* think "no thanks".
    Having helped Jeff Brown out during the development/testing of these liquids I can assure you they aren`t just your "normal" or cheap run of the mill compounds/abrasives.

The white pad is just a bit still for my liking, much like the Rupes UHS and CarPro Flash Pad. They do work very well though.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Correcting Cream and the orange BOSS pad is decent 1-step combo on most paints
    Would you consider Correcting Cream to be a medium product, something like Menz 2400?

I mucked about with some FCC on their white pad...wow, did I make a mess when I first spun that thing up. Oops.

The FCC with microfiber fast cutting pad`is a nice cutting combo.

I think I need to look some more into a medium, possible one step liquid. Scholl S20 is nice but something a little more `accessible` would be nice to have.

Post Thanks / Like

The complete Compound is made for both hand and machine use. I would imagine it’s not as aggressive as the boss creams. As said there’s nothing normal about the boss creams! We switched from all meguiars after 15 years to nothing but the boss system and couldn’t be happier.
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advice!

I’m in no way downplaying technique, that’s part of why I wanted to try and learn more before I get back to working on correction.

What have you found to be the best way to prime the microfiber pads?

BudgetPlan - If you wanted to try the correcting cream I have at least a couple sample packets that would be easy to send your way.

Post Thanks / Like

BudgetPlan - If you wanted to try the correcting cream I have at least a couple sample packets that would be easy to send your way.
    Thanks for the offer...

...but have it on the way along with a set of orange pads.

Haven`t really bought anything `functional` since the holidays. It needed to be done.

Post Thanks / Like

Just remember, the boss creams aren’t pad specific. Any cream on any pad which is what makes the system work so well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Just remember, the boss creams aren’t pad specific. Any cream on any pad which is what makes the system work so well.
    Yep. If/when I get a chance to do my Wife’s Dad’s Accord, I’m guessing a test spot might lead me to a different combination based on what I’ve heard about Honda paint.

Mike- What have you found to work best for pad priming/speeds when you use the microfiber pads?
    I’ve got the pad brush to help clear out/ stand the fibers back up between sections.
    Thanks Mike lambert thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. If/when I get a chance to do my Wife’s Dad’s Accord, I’m guessing a test spot might lead me to a different combination based on what I’ve heard about Honda paint.

Mike- What have you found to work best for pad priming/speeds when you use the microfiber pads?
    I’ve got the pad brush to help clear out/ stand the fibers back up between sections.
    Initially about 8 pea sized drops and smear it around, then 2 pea sized drops when necessary to reload. Don’t just assume a paint is one way or another due to maker - you never know - always do like you said and perform a test spot! Any questions once you get rolling I’m always happy to help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Would you consider Correcting Cream to be a medium product, something like Menz 2400?

I mucked about with some FCC on their white pad...wow, did I make a mess when I first spun that thing up. Oops.

The FCC with microfiber fast cutting pad`is a nice cutting combo.

I think I need to look some more into a medium, possible one step liquid. Scholl S20 is nice but something a little more `accessible` would be nice to have.
    Yes, definitely middle of the road, good cut and able to finish down LSP ready depending on pad and paint type. Is Menz 2400 like the old SIP? If so, then yes.

The white pads aren`t personally for me but they do work well when you get the hang of them. For me it`s MF all the way though.
    Thanks BudgetPlan1, Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information