Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Compoud ---> Polish steps

Whereas I found the GG6 to be superior to the PC, better suited to Final Polishing than the Flex 3401, but not the be-all/end-all answer. If buying today, I`d be looking at long-throw units (like that Flex).

Post Thanks / Like

The Griot’s 15 and 21 is what I was referring to as far as long throw machines.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I`m going to have to do some studying on different types of machines too because I have no idea what a long throw machine is...haha. I thought it was just dual action or rotary...
    2014 Acura ILX
    2013 Honda CBR500R -- Sold
    2010 Dodge Charger -- Sold
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F -- Sold
    2010 Honda Accord -- Sold
    2007 Acura TSX -- Sold

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xciii110 View Post
    Looks like I`m going to have to do some studying on different types of machines too because I have no idea what a long throw machine is...haha. I thought it was just dual action or rotary...
    A long throw machine is just a DA with a larger orbit. While a standard DA has a 8mm orbit the long throws have a 15 or 21 mm orbit.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson
    Thanks xciii110 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been happy with the XFE-7-150. Its a nice tool that fits well in your hands, is quiet and is very smooth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by b5visser View Post
    I`ve been happy with the XFE-7-150. Its a nice tool that fits well in your hands, is quiet and is very smooth.
    no issue with it being underpowered compared to Rupes or Boss polishers? I`ve heard some negative feedback which is why I ask

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I`m going to have to do some studying ..
    Good decision.

Oh, and just generally...I`d advise you to *NOT* think "I don`t need that much power because I`m not a Pro" or stuff to that effect. Many people seem shocked by how their polisher of choice doesn`t perform the way they`d expected. It`s just a "fast hand that doesn`t get fatigued or careless". And/but, when researching Long-Throw polishers, note that *too long* of a throw can make it tricky to do certain areas/panel contours/tight spots.

IMO that kinda makes for recommending the Griot`s BOSS15 these days, but I`d rather you do plenty of research rather than just listening to us/me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LashingStanley View Post
    no issue with it being underpowered compared to Rupes or Boss polishers? I`ve heard some negative feedback which is why I ask
    I have not used the other 15mm offerings, so nothing to compare to there, however, I have used the Rupes 21 mk2 and it is significantly more powerful (although not really an apples/apples comparison).

I had a "defective" unit with a faulty backing plate and after a 2 minute conversation with an incredibly helpful representative from Flex North America, she had a BRAND NEW xfe7 shipped next day. Customer service is top notch! I noticed that the "new" xfe7 does not use the "auto balancing" system the original had. I feel no more vibration than that original unit, so maybe flex deemed it to be unnecessary.

If I need the "grunt," I go with 3401 or PE14. XFE7 and Uro-fiber pads are nice!!

Post Thanks / Like

xciii110, I too am going to be doing my first paint correction. I`ve since bought the griot`s polisher and 5" backing plate. Hexlogic pads, and enough of them to work clean. I bought a C grade hood from a local scrap yard to practice on. I`m glad I am practicing on this hood first. It is going to make doing the car go a lot faster. One thing I`m finding I have to work through is how this single digit humidity shortens working time. I`m probably having to modify things a little more than most have too, but a practice panel I think would help anyone.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Coleroad- I`ll spare you my opinion of the Hexlogic pads...and/but just say to make sure you don`t get..stuff...(dried product, cut-off clear) built up in the hexagonal recesses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Coleroad- I`ll spare you my opinion of the Hexlogic pads...and/but just say to make sure you don`t get..stuff...(dried product, cut-off clear) built up in the hexagonal recesses.
    I`ve got 10 of each color pad I plan on using, and no roof to do on the camaro. Plus half the hood is vinyl decal. So I should be able to work clean without any issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    I`ve got 10 of each color pad I plan on using, and.. should be able to work clean without any issues.
    OK, that sounds good, and I`m glad you have sufficient pads on hand.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I`m going to go with the microfiber cutting pad and the Lake Country yellow and green foam pads for cutting. I might get some Lake Country black foam pads as well.
    2014 Acura ILX
    2013 Honda CBR500R -- Sold
    2010 Dodge Charger -- Sold
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F -- Sold
    2010 Honda Accord -- Sold
    2007 Acura TSX -- Sold

Post Thanks / Like

I think I`m going to go with the microfiber cutting pad and the Lake Country yellow and green foam pads for cutting. I might get some Lake Country black foam pads as well.
    Just FWIW, I utterly *DESPISE* the LC Yellow Foam Cutting Pads!!! Zero way to overstate that, it`s one pad I`ll never use again in this lifetime. Heh heh, did I get my point of view across?

Feel almost as strongly against the LC Black, just never worked out for me with any product in any size on any machine. Too easily compressed for my taste.

For significant correction I`d lean towards MF as the first-line choice, with foams being reserved for special cases.

Then I`d finish up with foam, but not those really soft ones (e.g., LC Black).

I bet that once you do some (significant) correction with the MFs you`ll agree, but hey...maybe not!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information