Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Machine polishing suggestions

Been out of the game on and off and would like to know what’s out there for a polisher and pads.

I’d like to have one combo of pads and polishes and mate them to a good machine.

I’ve always rocked the orange and white LC pads on my makita rotary and old school NOK XP porter cable.

The Makita is a great machine and I’ve yielded good results with it however I’m starting to think with today’s tech, there’s gotta be something that’s more forgiving??

I find myself always going back to the PC to finish off the bulk of the work that the makita has produced.

Thoughts ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Machine polishing suggestions

You can’t go wrong with the Griot’s boss system, weather that is used with the large throw machine or the small throw. Over 300 combinations of creams and pads.
    Likes GearHead_1, pwaug liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Have to say I agree with Mike. The Boss System has made things easier for me.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Can’t go wrong with the Rupes system or Boss. Both will take you to the next level.

Post Thanks / Like

Still plenty of rotary guys out there doing great with the makita. If you`re comfortable with that machine, theres no reason to buy a new one. If you`re one of the few that can get a swirl free finish with a rotary, stick with it.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Your Makita will yield consistently beautiful results if you keep the pad flat on the surface, use some downward force, keep the speeds not much past 1,000, the compound or polish moist throughout the pass, and use the right technique and pads that allow all of this and more to happen..

You didn`t mention what compounds and polishes you have been using, what are they ?
    Dan F
    Likes jrock645, tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    The Makita is a great machine and I’ve yielded good results with it however I’m starting to think with today’s tech, there’s gotta be something that’s more forgiving??

I find myself always going back to the PC to finish off the bulk of the work that the makita has produced..
    If you find a need to follow up with the PC (that rotary-then-PC progression is one I used to use) and the words "more forgiving" come to mind, then I`d retire the rotary in favor of either a forced-rotation unit like the Flex 3401 or a long-throw like the GG Boss15.

FWIW, I`ll never use either of my rotaries again, other than maybe to spin pads dry.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve used m105 and 205. However I am looking at getting the three Menz products below as a combo. That way I know I’ll have them there and they’re designed to work together.

Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Striker- So you want to go from nondiminishing (M105/M205) to diminishing? Just wondered since it seems like you`re heading in a different direction.

Just FWIW, having used M105/M205 myself, I switched to M101 for aggressive work and to HD Polish for milder. TOTALLY love those two and will never struggle with the TSO in M205 again now that I`ve tried the HD.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t think you mentioned if you are doing this for money or just for personal cars. I`m sort of in the same boat as you. I have a rotary and a couple of DAs. The new machines look very cool, but it is really hard to justify them when I break out the rotary maybe once every few years.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    I’ve used m105 and 205. However I am looking at getting the three Menz products below as a combo. That way I know I’ll have them there and they’re designed to work together.

Striker,
    Thanks for your update regarding what products you have been using.

Meguiars 105 was the bomb over 15+ years ago and it can still do amazing work if you learn how to work with it.
    I found that if I kept the pad moist, kept the speeds down to allow the pad and product to work the paint longer, using M105 was much easier and yielded excellent results.

In my shop, there is nothing better for clearing up scratched tail lights or headlights than M105, and those little areas behind door handles (door cups), that always seem to have scratches, will come out beautifully with a little M105 and a moist cotton towel and one or 2 fingers..

People have been able to get great results on glass with it also..

The biggest challenge to using this compound or any product period, is going to be - pad rotation -
    That`s why your Rotary is always going to be the best for that part..

I have also had excellent results with Meguiars 205, again, the bomb over 15 years ago..

Have always loved the Menzerna compound and polish line and used this line very successfully on hundreds of German cars over the years.. Here is a link to a chart that Autogeek put up that helps show where the Menzerna line fits in the workplace --
    https://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-of...oaAl-jEALw_wcB
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I still think the Griot’s system is the way to go, one machine, one set of pads and one set of creams gets everything done I need to do, Day in and day out! No water spraying, no mix and match brands or pads.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Striker liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I see no reason to worry about productline compatibility when it comes to compounds/polishes. One is used, buffed away, done before the next one is employed. Might *sound* reasonable, but I don`t see it functionally speaking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    I still think the Griot’s system is the way to go, one machine, one set of pads and one set of creams gets everything done I need to do, Day in and day out! No water spraying, no mix and match brands or pads.
    I`m kinda tempted to go this route for sake of simplicity if you say it can handle anything that comes your way. Have already pared things down significantly from my `buy and try` first year...boy did I waste a lot of money with that philosophy.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t mean to imply problems with compatibility, just very easy to have one line of products so if I have a problem I’ll know where to call for help.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information