Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotary

Post Thanks / Like

Rotary

I current have 3 dual action polisher (Boss G15,Flex 3401,Rupes Mini) and been wanting to add a rotary I never used one but got a parts car I can practice on I was looking looking at Habor Freight and seen they have a Drill Master Rotary #60626 for $30 with the coupon so I was going to pick that up just to practice with a rotary and after I start getting good enough experience with it then move up to a quality brand rotary?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rotary

Makita

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Noting that I don`t get why you`d want to [mess] with one period...I`d get a good one, and the right one for you, to start with. Give some thought to what will matter to you...I still can`t say whether I prefer my Makita or my Metabo (not that I`ll ever use either again), but I like `em both a lot more than the Milwaukee I ran back in the day.

Size/weight, soft-start/not, extended shaft/short, location of speed dial...give that sort of stuff some thought as it can really matter when it comes to how a machine suits you/doesn`t.

OR...I could just as easily argue that you should buy a cheapie, because for an Intro it`ll work just fine and will probably convince you that you don`t need/want it. But then you might think "gee, had I only bought a better one I bet I`d love it" and then you`ll be back at the starting point again

Sorry...guess none of that is of any help at all

Post Thanks / Like

I hardly use a rotary now a days but I do still have my two old ones for the rare, rare occasion I`ll need em ( like once or twice a year )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Don`t even own one anymore. Griot`s 21 with a 5 inch fast cut microfiber will do as good as a rotary.
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Don`t even own one anymore. Griot`s 21 with a 5 inch fast cut microfiber will do as good as a rotary.
    Still have one but haven`t used it since I got a Boss 15. Now I have a friend that has mentioned his gel coat on a boat needs attention. I`d probably get it out in that instance.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Rotary is a great tool and I personally use it every day. I love the PE-14 but the Dewalt 849x is still great. I have my dewalt equipped with a 6 inch backing plate to use when I`m removing sanding marks with a wool pad and the PE-14 with either a 3" or 5"

I`ve tried microfiber and Rupes 15 to remove sanding marks but it takes nearly 2-3 times as long. A rotary is a great investment

Post Thanks / Like

Guaranteed a 21 and 5 inch pad I can do whatever you can do with a rotary and no swirls. Follow up with a good foam polishing pad and done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gordster1122 View Post
    I current have 3 dual action polisher (Boss G15,Flex 3401,Rupes Mini) and been wanting to add a rotary I never used one but got a parts car I can practice on I was looking looking at Habor Freight and seen they have a Drill Master Rotary #60626 for $30 with the coupon so I was going to pick that up just to practice with a rotary and after I start getting good enough experience with it then move up to a quality brand rotary?
    You already have a 3401, why not try different pads such as m/f? I`d pass on a rotary.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
    You already have a 3401, why not try different pads such as m/f? I`d pass on a rotary.....
    I already have some microfiber pads but I have been wanting to try the Buff And Shine Uro-Fiber
    - Buff And Shine
    - Griots Garage

Post Thanks / Like

I really love my PE14 and if your budget allows it`s a great tool. The Dewalt would be my choice for a budget rotary as I can`t stand the slow start feature of the Makita. Rupes will have their new one out soon too and should be worth looking at.

Post Thanks / Like

Gordster1122- Never even asked...are you a Pro, and/or a guy who simply loves having tools and learning new skills? Guess I`m wondering what sparks your interest in a rotary...not that anybody needs to justify such stuff to me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Gordster1122- Never even asked...are you a Pro, and/or a guy who simply loves having tools and learning new skills? Guess I`m wondering what sparks your interest in a rotary...not that anybody needs to justify such stuff to me!
    Just like learning new skills i started off learning on the da first one was the Harbor Freight then moved up to the Boss G15 then the other two polishers i thought about getting the rotary to learn on something new but if i dont need the rotary ill end up just stocking up on more products and pads

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gordster1122 View Post
    Just like learning new skills i started off learning on the da first one was the Harbor Freight then moved up to the Boss G15 then the other two polishers i thought about getting the rotary to learn on something new but if i dont need the rotary ill end up just stocking up on more products and pads
    Try different a 4`` bp w/ 5`` pads for your 3401. Try m/f pads w/ the G15. Also try different compound/polishes too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Guaranteed a 21 and 5 inch pad I can do whatever you can do with a rotary and no swirls. Follow up with a good foam polishing pad and done.
    I do not doubt that on a convex and flat surface your 21 paired with a 5" pad could remove sanding marks really effectively. But I was referring to efficiency, and in that regard rotary/wool is far more efficient. Especially on concave surfaces and tight areas between body moldings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information