Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    809
    Post Thanks / Like

    More aggressive pad, less aggressive polish or...

    ...less aggressive pad, more aggressive polish.

    Using somewhat standard items for hypothetical situation (Menzerna & LC pads), if you`re about to begin some test sections and are hoping to hit the winning combo the first time, whatcha start with:

    - Menz 2400 on white polishing pad

    or

    - Menz 3500 on orange light cutting pad

    ????

    Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    265
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: More aggressive pad, less aggressive polish or...

    For me this would depend on the condition of the clear coat. How much correction I am wanting to achieve. Will an AIO do the job with a cutting pad? Is the clear coat hard or soft. Am I dealing with single stage or a clear coat. I find hypothetical questions or situations difficult to answer

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Likes Civicclutch liked this post

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    809
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: More aggressive pad, less aggressive polish or...

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster906 View Post
    For me this would depend on the condition of the clear coat. How much correction I am wanting to achieve. Will an AIO do the job with a cutting pad? Is the clear coat hard or soft. Am I dealing with single stage or a clear coat. I find hypothetical questions or situations difficult to answer

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Just trying to gauge what `first instinct` would be. Say a 1 year old GM sedan, dark blue metallic paint, in generally good condition, typical dealer/tunnel wash swirls, nothing really deep, 1 polishing step should do the job.

    Gonna end up doing a few test sections to compare and someone offers $100 if it turns out your first section proves to be most effective.

    Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    265
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: More aggressive pad, less aggressive polish or...

    Are you going to try an AIO like HD SPEED or KLASSE


    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    809
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: More aggressive pad, less aggressive polish or...

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster906 View Post
    Are you going to try an AIO like HD SPEED or KLASSE


    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Nah, lets suppose this car is gonna get a dedicated LSP, coating or sealant or we just wanna get it looking nice. Doesn`t need compounding, not that many defects.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    265
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: More aggressive pad, less aggressive polish or...

    So you have correction to do.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    265
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: More aggressive pad, less aggressive polish or...

    Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Just trying to gauge what `first instinct` would be. Say a 1 year old GM sedan, dark blue metallic paint, in generally good condition, typical dealer/tunnel wash swirls, nothing really deep, 1 polishing step should do the job.

    Gonna end up doing a few test sections to compare and someone offers $100 if it turns out your first section proves to be most effective.

    Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    I would try an AIO first. If the AIO did not have the cut with a heavy cutting pad, I would move to a cutting compound.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Ancient_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sun Prairie. WI
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: More aggressive pad, less aggressive polish or...

    I would even consider HC400 with a white pad. On a couple GM paints that worked fairly well for me.
    Likes Civicclutch liked this post

  9. #9
    RaydiantDetail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: More aggressive pad, less aggressive polish or...

    Are they offering $100 just for the test spot? Hehe

    If I had only one choice then probably scholl s20+ on scholl blue spider pad.

    Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    atgonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    386
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: More aggressive pad, less aggressive polish or...

    Lake Country HydroTech Orange pad with Menzerna 3800, did a 2004 Taurus that was very well cared for

    Attached Images Attached Images
    Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    809
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: More aggressive pad, less aggressive polish or...

    I have no actual vehicle in mind nor products; just kinda wondering to achieve a certain level of finish does one have a preference for trying a more aggressive pad OR a more aggressive product; i.e. would your first inclination be to have the pad do the work or the liquid?

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    265
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: More aggressive pad, less aggressive polish or...

    I start light and work the direction of the results achieved with product and pad used

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    79,656
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: More aggressive pad, less aggressive polish or...

    Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I have no actual vehicle in mind nor products; just kinda wondering to achieve a certain level of finish does one have a preference for trying a more aggressive pad OR a more aggressive product; i.e. would your first inclination be to have the pad do the work or the liquid?
    I would *ALWAYS* expect to be happier with a harsh product on a mild pad.

    I`ve *NEVER* been satisfied with a mild product on a harsh pad. NEVER. Don`t even try it any more.

    My view is that the pad should merely facilitate the optimal performance of the product.
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    809
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: More aggressive pad, less aggressive polish or...

    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I would *ALWAYS* expect to be happier with a harsh product on a mild pad.

    I`ve *NEVER* been satisfied with a mild product on a harsh pad. NEVER. Don`t even try it any more.

    My view is that the pad should merely facilitate the optimal performance of the product.
    Makes sense...thanks. For this novice, when I look at something for the first time and think "I`m gonna give Product X a try first..." and then think about/start with mild pad and work from there.

    Possibly excepting microfiber, was just kinda wondering if anyone comes at it from a different direction. I guess it may come from not knowing (although I got it now) what plays the primary role in correction...the pad or the product.

    Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    atgonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    386
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: More aggressive pad, less aggressive polish or...

    Budget

    Don`t forget do a test and make sure YOU are happy with it....
    Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-19-2010, 10:21 AM
  2. More aggressive polish or pad?
    By Banacheq in forum Car Detailing Product Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-28-2008, 06:51 AM
  3. Should I use a more aggressive polish?
    By cjv998 in forum Car Detailing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-08-2007, 12:15 PM
  4. Next more aggressive polish?
    By hook in forum Paint Correction and Gloss Enhancement
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-11-2006, 04:39 AM
  5. What`s the most aggressive polish I should use with a PC?
    By TGates in forum Car Detailing Product Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 04:34 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •