Post Thanks / Like

Need a little help.

I have a 2007 Gs350 with 72k. I have clay barred and spray waxed it over it`s life. It looks pretty good, but has water spots and swirl marks. I can not get then out by hand. After researching this site for beginning polishers, I have narrowed it it down to these two. Any help would be grateful.

Chemical Guys - Porter Cable 7424XP Complete Detailing Kit (13 Items)

Griot

auto.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need a little help.

Where in swf ??
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Where in swf ??
    Naples.

Post Thanks / Like

Go with the Griots.
    Thanks bound thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Griot`s, check in to the kits to save money. You`ll be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

The 3 starter polishers are the Griot`s Garage 6" (GG6), the Porter Cable 7424XP, and the Harbor Freight DA (HF). All will do the job. The GG6 is probably the most refined, and has the best warranty. The Porter Cable is probably the most common, is a good polisher, and is the second version of the polisher that started off the dual action polishing of car paint, and is a good all around polisher. The HF is the cheapest of the 5, is probably the most powerful of the 3 (in terms of being able to keep the pad spinning), but needs to have some accessories added, so the real cost will go up some. The HF needs a quality backing plate, which is an added expense, and most likely will need to have grease added, or replaced in the gear head. In return, you get the absolute bargain of the machine polishing world, often being able to be bought for as low as $49.95 (don`t forget to add in the cost of a good backing plate; don`t use the Harbor Freight backing plates or pads). Figure total cost for the HF, if you use a discount coupon, and get a good backing plate, at somewhere around $65-70. Still an excellent value. All of the polishers should be used with 5.5" pads.

I have a 7424XP, and it is fine for use for a DIYer. I started off with it; pads do stall, and it could probably use more power, but it gets the job done, especially if you are on your own time.

There are a lot of videos on how to use a DA on Youtube. I can recommend the videos by Junkman 2000; he has a 5 part video on how to machine polish a car for newbies that uses the 7424XP. Not everything he shows is correct, and some of it is more opinion than fact, but this video series is a great place to start. The video is applicable to all of the 7424XP type DAs (including the HF and GG6).

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed with those who have suggested Griots. I have a PC, a Harbor Freight and a GG6. The Griots machine is a good product. If money is a big factor the Harbor Freight will get the job done but you`ve got to look into better pads than HF sells and the price isn`t quite as attractive. There are several decent kits available on Autopia Car-Care or the Geek that make this polisher and the supplies reasonably affordable to get. It`s not only a good place to start but will still be with you a decade down the road. Griots warranty assures this.

Griots Polisher Kit

You can of course order the GG6 with any number of pads. I`d recommend looking at the 5.5" ones. You might also want to look at a microfiber pad if your water spots are serious.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thread Information