Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Griots Garage 6" a substantial upgrade from PC?

ManiZ- Glad you were able to make a better-informed decision. Hope you get a chance to post back about how it works out for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely, will post. AG shipped the G15 today and it will arrive by next Wednesday. The first order of business will be a full detail on my wife`s SUV. We bought it 2 years ago but it has not seen anything other than 3-4/year spray sealants (AW and UQW) along with regular ONRWW washes. I see that it needs a light polish now, so I have a very lengthy interior/exterior detail planned for it for next weekend which will be capped off with cQUK+Reload (my first attempt at a coating). Will post pics right after.

Accumulator, I should add that over the past several weeks, as I have been researching on how to tackle the first detail on my own upcoming new car, I have decided to go with FK1000p for the sealant, based largely on your testimonials over various threads (almost every Google result for it involves an Autopia thread with your input!). I am not interested in coating that car to begin with. When the car gets here in another 4-6 weeks, I will post before/after pics of that one too.
    Being p!ssed off is better than being p!ssed on.

Post Thanks / Like

ManiZ--I think you will be very happy with the G15!!! And, you can use the PC with 3" pads for the tight areas. The supplied Griots spacing washer is very thin--if they haven`t provided two with the polisher call Griots Customer Service and request a second washer and use both from day one. You`ll be happy you did.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pwaug View Post
    ManiZ--I think you will be very happy with the G15!!! And, you can use the PC with 3" pads for the tight areas. The supplied Griots spacing washer is very thin--if they haven`t provided two with the polisher call Griots Customer Service and request a second washer and use both from day one. You`ll be happy you did.
    Good to know. I had no idea. Will check the washer.

Post Thanks / Like

ManiZ- While I`m confident in my recommendations, some folks do experience a bit of a learning curve with FK1000P. Should anything come up, don`t hesitate to ask about it. Also, I`d really appreciate feedback about how it lasts/protects for you.

Gee wonder how my, uhm...pontificating...comes across to Internet Searchers who aren`t regulars here?!?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    ManiZ- While I`m confident in my recommendations, some folks do experience a bit of a learning curve with FK1000P. Should anything come up, don`t hesitate to ask about it. Also, I`d really appreciate feedback about how it lasts/protects for you.

Gee wonder how my, uhm...pontificating...comes across to Internet Searchers who aren`t regulars here?!?
    I`m sure it comes across as quite valuable from an accumulator of products and related knowledge

Regarding 1000p, I have read that most of its removal issues are related to surface prep. I intend to use it as the last step in a full detail, so it will be preceded by all wash/prep steps including IronX, clay, polish (if needed) and CP Eraser. I am not letting the dealer touch the paint before delivery so I am hoping it will be swirl-free but who knows...

I will also use it on the wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ManiZ View Post
    ..Regarding 1000p, I have read that most of its removal issues are related to surface prep..
    Actually....that`s never been a contributing factor IME.

As best I can tell, removal/buffing issues are (almost?) always related to applying it too thick.

I`ve never tried applying it to something nasty-oxidized or anything like that, but I have applied it to finishes that were far from Autopian and it buffed off easily (presumably because of my THIN applications).

The last however-many times I`ve used FK1000P, all I did was wash and dry the vehicle, then apply to the whole thing and then buff it off after it`s had plenty of time to flash/dry. No clay/prep/etc. at all. No problems at all either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EdLancer View Post
    Some detailers don`t think the Griots machine is an upgrade and I would tend to agree with them. For that money you might as well get yourself a rotary to tackle the tougher corrections and use your PC to finish off.

Now that I`ve used the GG6, I can agree. Also, it vibrates like crazy. Serious cutting for me employs microfiber pad system that requires 4800 opm. The PC is more than capable of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danlc95 View Post
    Now that I`ve used the GG6, I can agree. Also, it vibrates like crazy. Serious cutting for me employs microfiber pad system that requires 4800 opm. The PC is more than capable of that.
    Huh, see how experiences/perceptions differ?!?

I find the vibration of the GG6 to be sufficiently less that the PC as to enable extended use (which I simply cannot do with the PC). I find it`s cutting abilities infinitely superior (with MF cutting disks). Last time I had the PCs out I finally gave up on `em in frustration, and spent time swapping out backing plates on the GG6 because it was working so much better for me.

Not arguing at all, certainly not challenging your take on it. Just saying how !YMMV! certainly seems to apply here, far more than I ever would`ve expected.

Post Thanks / Like

Huh, see how experiences/perceptions differ?!?

I find the vibration of the GG6 to be sufficiently less that the PC as to enable extended use (which I simply cannot do with the PC). I find it`s cutting abilities infinitely superior (with MF cutting disks). Last time I had the PCs out I finally gave up on `em in frustration, and spent time swapping out backing plates on the GG6 because it was working so much better for me.

Not arguing at all, certainly not challenging your take on it. Just saying how !YMMV! certainly seems to apply here, far more than I ever would`ve expected.
    Yeah it is funny
    I think the 3401 is a jackhammer cause it leaves sensations in my hands when done..and others say it`s smooth!

GG6 wasn`t bad to me
    Still want to try it with the 3in HD plate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danlc95 View Post
    I`d rather invest on a clone like the Clover CT9000 with a 21mm throw. For $130 bucks shipped you get near Rupes 21 performance at less than PC 7424 price tag !
    They offer two models with both a 15mm or 21mm throw !

Post Thanks / Like

I considered the Clover, but was afraid to buy from China because of the cost and hassle if it needed to be sent back. $50 more (on sale) and I got the Adams SK. Also a clone, but made to Adam`s specs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nothingface5384 View Post
    Yeah it is funny..[how perceptions/opinions differ]..
    I think the 3401 is a jackhammer cause it leaves sensations in my hands when done..and others say it`s smooth!

GG6 wasn`t bad to me
    Still want to try it with the 3in HD plate
    Yeah, I`m actually a little surprised that I don`t mind the Flex 3401..like, at all....while my PCs are pretty close to "unusable" for me! I guess it`s the diff between simply having to wrestle with it (Flex 3401) vs. a specific type of vibration (PC).

I`ve run various little plates in the 3-4" range on my GG6 and it always seemed fine, better than that vibrato-machine PC, that`s for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dennis hiip View Post
    I considered the Clover, but was afraid to buy from China because of the cost and hassle if it needed to be sent back. $50 more (on sale) and I got the Adams SK. Also a clone, but made to Adam`s specs.
    There is Clover Detailing in Canada that sells the polishers at a mark up.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I`m actually a little surprised that I don`t mind the Flex 3401..like, at all....while my PCs are pretty close to "unusable" for me! I guess it`s the diff between simply having to wrestle with it (Flex 3401) vs. a specific type of vibration (PC).

I`ve run various little plates in the 3-4" range on my GG6 and it always seemed fine, better than that vibrato-machine PC, that`s for sure.
    I think the rotary bothers me more then my Rupes/BOSS tools, which is odd, but like you said, maybe it`s just that specific type of vibration and 25+ years of doing it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information