Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Polishing Brass - Anyone Know Anything?

So, anyone know anything about polishing brass? On a whim I just bought this:

Really not sure why. Other than I thought I could make it super shiny again. I`m pretty sure it`s brass - hopefully not plated brass - but really dunno?

Was thinking about PC w/ a 3" compounding pad and a heavy cut compound...Or even same set up with different metal polishes...

Dunno...

Help?

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing Brass - Anyone Know Anything?

We used to do a lot of brass for the guy who owned a junk yard ... we used Foamed Wool pads and Pro Polish .. non-abrasive polish as brass is a soft metal .. I think it`s only plated but I could be wrong
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com
    Likes Swanicyouth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    We used to do a lot of brass for the guy who owned a junk yard ... we used Foamed Wool pads and Pro Polish .. non-abrasive polish as brass is a soft metal .. I think it`s only plated but I could be wrong
    Coincidently I have PP
    Likes Poorboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Or brasso at Home Depot. Or Maas polish.
    Likes nickclark08, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use brasso or Puma. Puma gives a nice look to it, used on my uniform brass when playing military at Texas A&M Corps of Cadets.

Post Thanks / Like

Brass and a ton of soft baby diapers.
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Judging by the huge amounts of brass Uncle Sam had us polish on his gray flat top boats (Navy) Brasso would be my choice
    Likes nickclark08, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Poorboy may be correct: that vintage extinguisher may plated brass, not solid brass.
    Judging by the patina (IE, color of the faded/corroded material from time) you may have a copper-coated extinguisher.
    Either way, using a brass or copper-specific metal polish is highly advisable, as either of these metals are "softer". I would be very leery about using chrome cleaner on them just because I have such a chemical on hand. I would suggest using MAAS metal polish for either of these metals. Also, as mentioned above, using soft cotton cloths. like cloth baby diapers OR chamois-type soft nap microfiber are highly suggested for both application and wipe-off. It`s a very dirty job and I would wear latex gloves if you do not want your hands to be black for a few days after polishing.
    If you have access to Dremel Tool and wool-or-felt polishing bobs (or fobs) of various shapes (balls, cones, and cylindrical) , this can make polishing tight areas much easier with great results rather than doing it by hand with cotton swabs (AKA Q-Tips), which tedious as well. I see that Top-of the-Line Detailing sells a3" wool mushroom buffing ball for buffing metals that has a solid shaft that fits a cordless drill chuck that may make this polishing job much easier, as well.

I would not suggest taking it to a chrome shop and having them "buff" it out with a fixed polishing machine (think pedestal grinding or sharpening machine) and a wool pad, UNLESS they have soft metal-specific pad and polish. Polishing/buffing chrome or aluminum or stainless steel is one thing; brass or copper is another.
    GB detailer
    Likes nickclark08, RaydiantDetail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie- Huh, thought was the only guy here with Maas on the shelf My late father was crazy about the stuff, must`ve left me a half-dozen tubes of it.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a brass bed frame from the 40s for someone. I ended up with P21S doing the heavy work for me then following up with Brasso which also helps protect it. This bed was BROWN when I started from oily hands touching it for the last 70 years. I don`t have pics on my phone but may be able to remember to show some when I get home.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Polishing Brass - Anyone Know Anything?

I think I have some of those cotton bob spinny things you can use on a drill. Also, may be able to pick up some Flitz ones locally... Not looking forward to doing this by hand

But will get Brasso for sure.

I guess nobody tried a foam 3" cutting pad on a DA? May try that first - I know it will ruin the pad..

Will post b4 & after pics

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    I did a brass bed frame from the 40s for someone. I ended up with P21S doing the heavy work for me then following up with Brasso which also helps protect it. This bed was BROWN when I started from oily hands touching it for the last 70 years. I don`t have pics on my phone but may be able to remember to show some when I get home.
    The polishing soap or the multi surface restorer P21S? Have both...

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t know if you have this where you live, but there is a product called Nev-R-Dull. It is sort of a chemically infused cotton/wool that is used by hand. It works well, and is supposed to leave a protective coating behind. It is abrasive, but extremely fine (think Menzerna 3500/Meguiar`s #9 fine).

An alternative if you don`t want to do this by hand is Flitz metal polish and their Buff Balls. I think they also have a chemical pre-cleaner for copper/brass that makes the process go a lot faster. The Buff Balls come in 3 sizes, so pick according to taste. The Buff Balls are used with an electric drill.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    The polishing soap or the multi surface restorer P21S? Have both...
    Sorry, the polishing soap! Some spots were so bad I had to use 0000 steel wool and the soap but that did better than any metal polish wad, ketchup, vinegar, etc. I tried it all and finally gave the P21S soap a try and it worked wonders. Hope it helps you too!!! Obviously try a test spot first!!!! That`s a pretty cool piece wouldn`t want to see it ruined.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like *everybody* who uses the P21s Polishing Soap loves it!

Be careful with Nev-R-Dull; it might be different these days, but I did some damage with the stuff back in the `70s, more abrasive than I`d expected. Its is nice/quick/easy on non-critical surfaces though.

And yeah..Flitz is in the same category as Maas...can`t say which one I prefer right off-hand, and again IME, for non-critical surfaces, not something you just spent ten hours turning into a metal mirror.
    Thanks Ed_H thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information