Post Thanks / Like

Getting back to polishing; need some advice

Hi folks. My buffers have been lying stagnant for a few years due to some personal health issues, but I`m back!! Cant tell ya how happy it makes me feel to say that.

I only work on my own cars and like to think of myself as an advanced hobbyist. I currently own the original PC, a Flex 3401, and a Makita rotary. I greatly enjoy using them all for various tasks. I`d like to add a Rupes polisher. Do I *need* it? Of course not. I do want it! Badly.

1) I`m tempted to opt for the LHR-15ES due to its trigger control, but I truly like the smaller size of the LHR-12V. Really 50:50 between the two.

2) The `geek offers both machines with a pad and a smaller pad/polish package. Having never used open cell pads, is their polish critical. I use M105/205, 3M UF, FPII, and most recently HD Speed. Would these products work well with open cell foam, or do I absolutely need Rupes` polishes?

Guys, I`d SO appreciate some insight. I don`t buy detailing tools very often - the Flex was 10 years ago - so this is a pretty big deal in my world. With 2 kids in college I can`t afford to make a big mistake.

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting back to polishing; need some advice

30 views and no replies. Sure wasn`t like this 6-7 years ago.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry no help here .. I have the same machines you have and a "want" for all the new machines, but i don`t need them
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com
    Likes FJF liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    Sorry no help here .. I have the same machines you have and a "want" for all the new machines, but i don`t need them
    Ha! In all truth, I don`t need a Rupes, either. It`s not as if I work on cars other than my own. Here`s how I look at it: I`m certainly not getting any younger and there are so many years left when I can handle a buffer comfortably. As such, why not have some fun with another fine power tool?

I`m mostly interested to know whether there`s a necessity to use Rupes` gel polishes with open cell pads, or will my polishes suffice?
    Likes Poorboy liked this post

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FJF View Post
    Ha! In all truth, I don`t need a Rupes, either. It`s not as if I work on cars other than my own. Here`s how I look at it: I`m certainly not getting any younger and there are so many years left when I can handle a buffer comfortably. As such, why not have some fun with another fine power tool?

I`m mostly interested to know whether there`s a necessity to use Rupes` gel polishes with open cell pads, or will my polishes suffice?
    i have used a Rupes and it was very smooth ... I mostly reach for my Flex when I do use a machine .. I often work by hand on my own cars, just because I`m in no hurry and I get to know my finish a bit better..

yes, none of us are getting younger and the new machines seem to make life a little easier ... can`t help again with the pad choices
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have all the machines you are talking about.............

IMHO the flex is more powerful/quicker......... Rupes is ohhhh so smooth, not quite as much bite.

There are plenty of other pads out there now for the rupes, as well as most other polishes will work well too.

Honestly the only reason I got the polishes (please remember I am a dinosaur and it`s tough to get used to new stuff).. is that the caps on the polishes coordinate with the pads. So I don`t have to look up what pad is cutting, polish, finish. So it`s easy to grab and go.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes FJF, JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Like Ron mentioned, I like the color coordinated Rupes polishes. Makes grabbing them easy. Having the caps colored is the way to go.

I don`t do many cars, and honestly, there have been times I forgot I had the Rupes 21. But I`m forgetful of things like that I`m working on it.

I do tend to reach for the 3401 more than the Rupes (see above).

As far as using their polishes with their pads, you don`t have to. I seen many do it. In fact, people really seem to favor the Rupes Yellow pad, regardless of what polish they are using. I hear it`s quite the versatile pad.

Glad you`re health is where you can get back into detailing
    Thanks FJF thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post

I do tend to reach for the 3401 more than the Rupes (see above).

Glad you`re health is where you can get back into detailing

ditto
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would buy the Rupes and the associated pads and polishes. After using it awhile you can play around with other pad and polish combos. I started with a PC and quickly moved on to Rupes and don`t plan to use anything else. You can "one hand" a Rupes polisher where it takes two to wrangle a Flex or a PC. If you are looking towards the future and want to save your body pick up a Rupes. I think you have kinda made up your mind to pick up a new toy anyway. I just bought a new MKII Rupes even though I was happy with the MKI version. A new polisher may be what you need to reenergize your detailing bug.
    Likes Ronkh, Civicclutch liked this post
    Thanks FJF thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I would buy the Rupes and the associated pads and polishes. After using it awhile you can play around with other pad and polish combos. I started with a PC and quickly moved on to Rupes and don`t plan to use anything else. You can "one hand" a Rupes polisher where it takes two to wrangle a Flex or a PC. If you are looking towards the future and want to save your body pick up a Rupes. I think you have kinda made up your mind to pick up a new toy anyway. I just bought a new MKII Rupes even though I was happy with the MKI version. A new polisher may be what you need to reenergize your detailing bug.
    Good advice !
    Likes Civicclutch liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

And a long throw is such a different ball game to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I pulled the trigger. Ordered the Rupes LHR15ES with the 4-pad package. Got a green, two yellows, and a while. Also ordered two 8oz Rupes polishes for the yellow and green pads.

Too, copped a 8oz HD Polish+ and a couple of Rupes 4" pads, along with a 3.5" CarPro Gloss Pad. This should keep me busy for a few months.

Thank you all! There`s no site like Autopia.

Thread Information