Post Thanks / Like

Could i get some input real quick (Buffer Pads)

Hey Guys, quick question.

I just ordered the Rupes LHR15 MarkII Big Foot Random Orbital Perfetto Kit ($465.00)

its my 1st polisher. (i made a post awhile back about how i had the PC7424 but never worked) so figured ill go all out this time. Im still trying to learn everything with buffing. one thing im confused on is the pads. I know this kit includes 1 white and 1 blue.

Should i buy others that i will need? Also was there anything else i should look into for the buffer that ill need? just want to make sure so i can order it right now before my order goes out.
    2010 Mercedes Benz GLK350 4matic
    2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
    2006 Mazda Speed 6 (
    Sold)
    1994 Mazda Rx-7 (
    Sold)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Could i get some input real quick (Buffer Pads)

If you are staying with a system approach I would get a few rupes yellow pads. If you want better performance and durability get a set of Griot`s pads.
    Likes Mikek9965 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the condition of your car I would suggest 4-5 pads for compounding and 4-5 pads for finishing. The Rupes blue cuts the most and the white cuts the least or you could go with the one step UHS pads and polish. After saying that, I prefer to use a microfiber pad for cutting (faster/less sling) and follow with Rupes yellow with matching polish.

A test spot is the only way you can determine which pad/polish combo will work best for you. I would start with the Rupes system approach and then branch out after you have that under control. Mike Phillips has a book on the Rupes system approach that outlines all you need to know.
    Likes The Guz, Mikek9965 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Phillips` book is good to have and a good read. Like Mike Phillips states, start with the Rupes as a system and then you can expand to other combinations later.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

The kit comes with two pads. Should you buy others? Experience will tell, but, let`s just say it`s not uncommon for your pad collection value to exceed that of your polisher. Eventually. So, the short answer is yes, you`ll need and want more pads, but those pads (and quantity of each) will vary depending on...

1 ... The level of correction you need to do (do you need some aggressive pads?)
    2 ... The level of perfection you want to achieve (how fine and soft do you need your finishing pads to be?)
    3 ... Your product usage habits (saturation is bad, drying out is bad)
    4 ... Your pad cleaning habits "on-the-fly" (on-the-fly cleaning will allow you to extend one pad for a longer time per work session)
    5 ... Your pad cleaning habits once you are done (you can keep pads for years, or toss them after the first use. No seriously, people do that)
    6... Will you wax or apply sealant with pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Ah i didnt even see the UHS set. I plan on practicing on my vehicles (ram1500 and MB glk350). My truck has never been buffed, the MB is new to us but dont think it has been either. Then living in the desert with all these sand storms. so pretty sure its gonna need a lot of love..haha. Glad you mentioned the micro-fiber pads. i was curious on how they were. Thanks for all the input!

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Depending on the condition of your car I would suggest 4-5 pads for compounding and 4-5 pads for finishing. The Rupes blue cuts the most and the white cuts the least or you could go with the one step UHS pads and polish. After saying that, I prefer to use a microfiber pad for cutting (faster/less sling) and follow with Rupes yellow with matching polish.

A test spot is the only way you can determine which pad/polish combo will work best for you. I would start with the Rupes system approach and then branch out after you have that under control. Mike Phillips has a book on the Rupes system approach that outlines all you need to know.
    2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
    2006 Mazda Speed 6 (
    Sold)
    1994 Mazda Rx-7 (
    Sold)

Post Thanks / Like

I did a vehicle once that went through 2-3 years of El Paso sand storms and it needed some major claying before any pads touched it due to imbedded sand particles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Haha, i live in NM but go to school in El paso. I also ordered the Ultima Elastrofoam Paint Cleaning System because of that. I picked up my Truck out here in Nov 2013 So its def going to need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Civicclutch View Post
    I did a vehicle once that went through 2-3 years of El Paso sand storms and it needed some major claying before any pads touched it due to imbedded sand particles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
    2006 Mazda Speed 6 (
    Sold)
    1994 Mazda Rx-7 (
    Sold)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Mike Phillips` book is good to have and a good read. Like Mike Phillips states, start with the Rupes as a system and then you can expand to other combinations later.
    As are his other books. - Re: Rupes as a system, it`s good to *really* know the system before you start trying other combinations. Unless you don`t care and just start wandering around. Nothing wrong with that

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    Experience will tell, but, let`s just say it`s not uncommon for your pad collection value to exceed that of your polisher...
    I know this too well. Earlier today I was looking to see when I had ordered some 3" Megs MF Finishing pads (apparently, I never did) but in going through my invoices, I noticed one of them was over 200$ in mostly pads. haha. I had no idea I had spent so much on pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Tuff stuff = Megs microfiber cutting discs.

Intermediate to fine = Rupes yellow

Fine to ultrafine = Rupes white

Rupes yellow is a heck of a versatile pad.

Above is a reasonable starting point, I keep generally 6 of each pad for a vehicle.

Only been using Rupes LHR15 Mk 2 since January, have a bunch of non rupes pads as well but never really reached for them yet.

Tried the blue and UHS for a bit at first but the megs cutting discs w/ d300 was smoother and less messy than Rupes blue or UHS...likely due to lack of experience.
    Likes JustJesus, Mikek9965 liked this post
    Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post

Thread Information