Post Thanks / Like

Polishing off coating...

Whaddya suppose it`s gonna take to remove what`s left of Spring 2016 Wolfgang Uber Ceramic? I think winter took care of it from beltline down on sides of car but hood/roof/trunk still bead/sheet nicely (maybe due to Bathe+/Wet Coat/Overcoat).

Menz 3500, 2400 even? Sonax Perfect Finish? Rupes Keramik Gloss Fine? M205?

Clay/decon prior to polishing?

Should be interesting; guess I can just start light and increase aggressiveness of pad and polish until water lays flat on hood.

Oh so soft 2016 Subaru Crystal Black Silica paint...Polishing off coating...
    Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing off coating...

I`m interested to find out. I know Pearl Nano is hard to get high spots leveled. That gave me some good feelings about the longevity of it. Keep us posted
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A polish like M205 will remove it.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Well I will see how my car holds up. I did a 2 step with 3500 and a hydro tangerine pad 4~6 passes and followed up with 4~6 passes with 3800 on a crimson pad. I then just finished putting on CSL and 2 coats on exo on Monday (it was a long weekend for me.). Then I had 2 appointments at the VA on Tue and had to leave while it was still raining. The worst part is I can`t wash till next week. Picture is just as I pulled it out to leave.

Likes BadgerRivFan, Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been wondering about this kind of thing myself....I don`t think I ever got a response when I asked how this is handled on things like motorcycles where the coating is sprayed on with an airbrush to get it into tight spots.

Guess it`s mostly just intellectual curiosity on my part as I only coat wheels and those are easy enough to polish (HD Polish works fine for me).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`ve been wondering about this kind of thing myself....I don`t think I ever got a response when I asked how this is handled on things like motorcycles where the coating is sprayed on with an airbrush to get it into tight spots.

Guess it`s mostly just intellectual curiosity on my part as I only coat wheels and those are easy enough to polish (HD Polish works fine for me).
    Well, will just kinda wing it and see how it goes. When this car was originally polished/coated last year it was clayed but I was unaware of Iron-X type decon so it never got that. Not totally sure where to fit Iron-X regimen into this re-coating but currently (which I`m sure I`ll change later) thinking is perhaps:

1. Wash
    2. Clay (yay Nanoskin!)
    3. M205 on white polishing pad (likely Flex) for half of hood
    4. Flood hood with water, check behavior (although not a true indicator of absolute coating removal may be as good as I can get)
    5. M205 on orange cutting pad if #4 proves completely uneventful/unresponsive
    6. Flood/check hood again
    7. If I believe coating is removed, complete car with whatever combo worked. If coating not removed, sell car and buy new one to start fresh.
    8. Rinse car
    9. Iron-X
    10. Wash/Nanoskin again
    11. Polish with Rupes 15/Mini, either Sonax Perfect Finish or Rupes Keramik Gloss Fine Gel Polish on yellow Rupes pad
    12. Polish with Rupes 15/Mini, Rupes Diamond Ultra Fine Gel Polish on white Rupes pad
    13. Panel Wipe/Paint Prep
    14. Apply coating

2 vehicles at likely different ends of the paint spectrum (Hard vs. soft) need this done. In addition to the black 2016 Subaru WRX, our black 2004 Corvette is switching coatings (from Spring 2016 applied WG Uber Ceramic) as well although the WG Uber is in much better shape on Vette as it`s seen not nearly the daily/winter duty as the Subaru.

Always an adventure...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    ... If coating not removed, sell car and buy new one to start fresh...
    Heh heh, that was great! Spoken like a True Autopian

Based on my oh-so-limited experience with coatings the Flex/M205 oughta work fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Started this today.
    1. Wash with Dawn (yeah, know..but it`s cheaper than any car wash soap I have) and dry.

2. Iron-X...dwell and agitate, rinse.

3. Wash with WG Auto Bathe w/ nanoskin clay mitt.

4. Wash again with Dawn, not exactly sure why but hey, it`s cheap.

Flex, M205, LC Force white pad, 4 passes on speed 5, using a little pressure but not a lot.

Looks like polished right side of hood is, well, at least different from unpolished left. Guess the WG Uber Ceramic is gone.

I had put Gyeon Mohs on the deck lid about 2 months ago...that needed WG TSR to get to where I guess I want it to be although you could tell a shade of color difference after M205.

Will do rest of car with M205 to get rid of the WG Uber, then Rupes yellow & white (names too long to remember) and then coat it. I think. That`s the plan.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Little bit each day, Flex and M105.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    ... I think. That`s the plan.
    not just the plan, but the Budget Plan

thanks for this post! I always wondered and can`t say i`ve seen it done before (polishing off a coating)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    I always wondered and can`t say i`ve seen it done before (polishing off a coating)
    Well, I *hope* that`s what I`m doing.

Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well...I think that`s done. 25 or so hours...man, I gotta get better/faster at this. All becomes known when I pull it out in the sun tomorrow and check for high spots/inconsistencies.

Thank You Subaru for making a car with so many nooks/crannies/odd contours everywhere.

Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

With the Subie having pretty soft paint did you see an improvement using the Rupes white over just the Rupes yellow? Sometimes the Rupes white will actually leave marring on soft paint. Every paint is different, but just wondering.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    With the Subie having pretty soft paint did you see an improvement using the Rupes white over just the Rupes yellow? Sometimes the Rupes white will actually leave marring on soft paint. Every paint is different, but just wondering.
    Found the Rupes white pad/polish combo to be ( somewhat surprisingly ) excellent in upping the gloss after the initial m205 step that removed the coating. Really helped with gloss/clarity of final finish...no marring I could see.

Generally 4 passes on speed 5 with Rupes LHR15 Mk 2, slight pressure, followed by 2-3 passes on speed 4 with just machine-weight pressure.

Was really quite surprised that it actually made a noticeable difference in fine finishing. Sometimes ya throw an extra step like Menz 3800 in there just because and you`re not sure it makes that much of an improvement but the white combo certainly did in this case. Harder paint maybe not so much...

Ended up skipping the Rupes yellow as I figured the M205 step was somewhat equivalent and after the M205 the finish was so surprisingly good I thought it would be kinda redundant.

Thread Information