Post Thanks / Like

For GRUNGY: 15mm vs 21mm

Hello Mr. Grungy.

I`m making this post to give you my feedback, based on my own personal experience using two long throw machines: BOSS G15 and RUPES 21 MKII

Quoting you from this thread: Review: Newb gives Rupes LHR15 Mark II HD Version a shot

"Curious as to the selection of the 15 vs the 21. Was it only due to cost of the machine and materials or something else? I too am considering a large throw machine and am looking at both BOSS and Rupes. 15 vs 21 seems to be the real crux on either one as I have a huge SUV and Taurus but those are my only vehicles. Anyone with both 15 and 21 machines care to give feedback on which one you would keep if you had to make a choice? This has been talked about before, but interested now that both have been out there for over a year or two now."

My Thoughts / Exprience - I received both of those machines back in December. I tried them side by side as soon as I could. On the hood of my Yaris, the "center" section of it, the halfway split measures out to about 18x18.

Initially, I wanted to make a comparison as fair as possible, try to get apples to apples. To that end, I was looking to use Rupes UHS on both machines. I planned on the 7" UHS pad on the Rupes, and the 6" UHS pad on the G15. It didn`t take long to throw that idea out. WHY? Well, if these machines were designed, and then pads designed around the machine, then it would throw off the results. The Rupes pads are quite different. Even comparing the BOSS 5.5" pad to a Rupes 6" pad. Pictures below will show what I mean

I took the BOSS G15, a BOSS Yellow 5.5" Pad, and the Perfecting Cream on the left side. On the right side, I used the Rupes 21 MKII, Rupes Yellow 7" Pad, and their Keramik Gloss.

This wasn`t to test which is faster, or which corrected/finished better. Rather, it was to get a "user experience" using both machines. Back to back. Side to side. In fact, I went back and forth several times. Both machines felt good. Both felt smooth. It was a wash. (just to note, both finished out the same. I couldn`t see a difference in the paint).

I did manage to stall both machines on the same spot, where the hood transitions over a bulge. What I did notice here, though, it took more thought and different approaches with the larger throw of the 21mm. I`m guessing due to the nature of the stiff Rupes pad, coupled with it`s increased diameter, it sort of "bridged" between the flat part of the hood, to the higher portion of that bulge area. So there was about a 2" strip of untouched paint. I`m not sure I`m making it clear. There was a section on the hood that wasn`t being touched by the 21mm if I went straight left to right, or up and down. I had to tilt the machine this way or that way, do edgework, etc, to polish that area out. The 15 sort of floated over the same area on the opposite side.

This came to show me what I was half expecting. The 21 is a nice machine, but I`d use it for larger and more flat areas. So, if I had to choose only ONE machine, I`d go with a 15mm.

Now....what about Griot`s vs Rupes? Both are great machines. It would come down to personal preference. It really would. For me, the number one factor is cost. Cost of the machine, pads, and polishes. Another, and quite unexpected factor, is the size of the pads! BOSS pads are so thin. Rupes are about twice as thick. Stack 6-8 Rupes pads. That takes up a good amount of space. Stack 6-8 BOSS pads, and you`re using half the space. And since I`m running low on space quickly, the thinner pads would be welcomed.

Here are some pics, with various measurements and weights. To ME, these can be important. I`m 5`6" and use Medium sized gloves. How is that relevant? Shorter wing span, tighter hand grip. The distance between the grip on the head of the tool and to the trigger handle can make a difference to me. Not a huge one, but enough. I noticed this the first time I used a Megs MT300. The hand placement threw me off (from using PC style machines) and I noticed during a test session, that the lower part of the hood wasn`t being polished. The lower hand placement near the trigger handle messed with my muscle memory, so when I got to a certain point on the panel, I thought it was at the edge. That`s my theory, anyway I had to adjust for the different arm distance gripping the machine.

The grip is also important. With my grip, I prefer a smaller grip, as it`s easier to hold. Less fatigue. Plus it`s more natural to hold something like a trigger handle, vs a tool body.

Here are those pics I mentioned. Sorry, I keep on and on.

Weights:
    -Rupes 5.8
    -Griot`s 5.9

Honestly, though, the Rupes feels a good deal lighter. When I pulled it out of the box, it felt light. So much so, that I had to double check to make sure it was a 21mm. Then I had to make sure it was the MKII. It felt lighter than it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: For GRUNGY: 15mm vs 21mm

The darker pad shown is a Lake Country Variable Contact 6.5" pad. I had used it with a Flex 3401, and was curious how the size/weight compared to that of a Rupes 7"
    Likes NLove liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- Hey, that`s very good info.
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great comparison review JustJesus!! Thanks for sharing!
    2011 SEMA Meguiar`s Car Crazy Showcase Team
    Thanks Mp0wer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Comparison buddy.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice write up, JustJesus!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    JustJesus- Hey, that`s very good info.
    Thank you, Accumulator.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Great comparison review JustJesus!! Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks, and you`re welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Potatoe View Post
    Nice Comparison buddy.
    Hey Potatoe! Thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Very nice write up, JustJesus!
    Thank you, Rasky. BTW, I tried using "RASKY" for a scrabble-type game last night....it wasn`t accepted.

--

I was hoping others could find that info useful. Hopefully it helps others, including Grungy !!
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus - many thanks for all this information. Just found out this thread existed from mjlinane (co-worker).

-grungy
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grungy View Post
    JustJesus - many thanks for all this information. Just found out this thread existed from mjlinane (co-worker).

-grungy
    many
    welcomes.

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done. Interesting G15 handle upward bias, Rupes kind a downward. Bet that`s one of those little things ya never think of but might make a difference in comfort during prolonged use based on personal preference.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Nicely done. Interesting G15 handle upward bias, Rupes kind a downward. Bet that`s one of those little things ya never think of but might make a difference in comfort during prolonged use based on personal preference.
    Thanks!

True. Could make some difference. Polishing a hood with your arm/elbow at or near waist level, or polishing a roof with your arm/elbow at or near shoulder level

Post Thanks / Like

When I tried a 21mm machine at a local supplier I felt that the area the pad movement covered was just too large. I felt that it would obviously be good for the roof, most hoods and most trunk lids, but probably not much else. I can use my forced rotation Makita or Makita rotary if I really needed to make quick work of it. The 15mm machine just seemed like I would be able to use it on more panels so if you have to choose between two the 15mm seems more practical.

The 12mm Mini has been my favorite polisher purchase so far. I need to save my pennies up to get the IBrid next.

Thread Information