Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Any Recommendations?

Hey Guys,

Well as some of you might remember, I recently had a post about my PC not turning on. I`m looking into purchasing a new buffer. I still have yet to use any. So when it comes to buffers with detailing, its not a subject I;`m that good on. I want to see what people recommend I should look into getting. Its not for a business or anything. Mainly will practice on my truck and wife`s car then go from there. So lets hear your inputs!

Thanks!
    2010 Mercedes Benz GLK350 4matic
    2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
    2006 Mazda Speed 6 (
    Sold)
    1994 Mazda Rx-7 (
    Sold)
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any Recommendations?

The Boss15

Post Thanks / Like

It really depends on how into detailing and polishing you want to get.

If you will only use it once a year or so and never really get into polishing then the Griots Garage 6" would be my suggestion. Similar to the PC and cheap with the warranty.

If you want to step up to the next level or like most people "always want the better tools" then I would suggest:

• Rupes LHR 21 - Longer throw and a better correction tool than the PC from my use.
    • Griots Garage BOSS G15 - Similar to the Rupes15 only a little cheaper
    • Flex XC 3401 - a true workhorse if you want to try direct drive. Some like it some hate it. Personally I had one and wish I had kept it at times.

If you really want to go pro and have the best then:

• Rupes BigFoot LHR21 - Large throw and great machine
    • Rupes Bigfoot Nano iBrid - tiny machine for the detail work
    • Griots Garage BOSS G21 - Similar to the Rupes21 only a little cheaper
    • FLEX PE14-2-150 - Rotary with smooth feel and use.

Likes Stokdgs, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Go with the original, Rupes 15. Rupes is an innovator, not a copier. They provide support for the detailing community. They design, manufacture, and sell their own products. Their customer support is fantastic. You can buy a cheaper copy of the Rupes (they are everywhere), but if you want a Chinese tool, there are cheaper ones than the Boss series. I understand the need to be cost conscious, and if cost is your #1 concern buy something besides a Rupes, but if you are looking to buy a tool from a company that continues to innovate and give back, buy Rupes. I`m not slamming Chinese made things, I`ve got them all over my house, but my decisions are not always driven by cost. I would choose the Rupes 15 over the Rupes 21 just because you can get into tighter areas with the 15. This has been an on going discussion since Griots introduced their Boss series. Just search a few old threads. And don`t fall for the "lifetime warranty" stuff. Rupes stands behind their tools just as well as Griots (or better).

Post Thanks / Like

Rupes LHR15 Mark II would be my recommendation. The Boss G15 is another one to look into.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Stokdgs, rookiez liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My griots 6" is a beast, I also have a 21mm machine, and I dunno, its not really that far behind it imo.

Post Thanks / Like

Griots 6" standard da has never let me down, if you don`t want to spend too much, this is the best option imo. I would recommend getting a 5 inch backing plate so you can use 5.5" pads and maybe even a 3 inch backing plate so you can use smaller pads for more intricate areas.
    Likes Stokdgs, Mary B, tropicsteve liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I would look at the Rupes duetta, very similar to the small throw da but a 12 mm throw, easy to use also
    Likes Stokdgs, TroyScherer, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m only assuming that you are considering stepping up from the PC. The PC is a decent machine and would certainly be one of the entry level recommendations many would make. I`m thinking you may have a sour taste in your mouth for the PC right now. I can`t comment first hand on the Rupes machines, I can only imagine they are everything people say they are.

I can however speak to both the GG6 and the Boss15, Griots machines. These are both very respectable machines within their own spheres of polishers. I`ve only used the Boss for perhaps 6 months or so, it`s a very good machine capable of doing a fair amount of work as orbitals go. They claim the Rupes is smoother but the Boss is pretty darn smooth, it won`t beat you up. The Boss is marginally less expensive to purchase and from my little bit of research may be less expensive in the total cost of ownership department, if one chooses to use the entire product line from soup to nuts, pads to polishes. You don`t have to do this but Rupes owners seem to favor their pads from what I can discern though some have mentioned durability issues. For what it`s worth I like the Griot`s thin pads too.

Neither the Rupes or Griots I mention are rotaries, if you`re looking for raw ouput most Pros will tell you a rotary will do more work. I cut my teeth on rotaries and can use them but don`t look to these much today. Commercial detailers will likely give you an entirely different perspective here, the Pros have got to get both high quality and volume work out, rotaries can do more in a given period of time. In trained hands these are tough to match but for those of us who can admit we have limitations, orbitals have come a long way and are somewhat safer in the burning the paint dept.

I`ve used the GG6 for years and they are also nice little machines capable of correction but are kind of in the same league as the PC`s (with a better warranty). Flex has a gear driven orbital product worthy of consideration but I can`t comment on these. Good luck on your hunt.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs, tropicsteve, rookiez liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

LHR15 either mk 1 or mk II if you have the money. The 15 is so smooth, for a hobbyist it`s perfect.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.
    Likes The Guz, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B View Post
    The Boss15
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    If you want to step up to the next level or like most people "always want the better tools" then I would suggest:

Griots Garage BOSS G15 - Similar to the Rupes15 only a little cheaper
    Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Go with the original, Rupes 15.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Rupes LHR15 Mark II would be my recommendation. The Boss G15 is another one to look into.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    LHR15 either mk 1 or mk II if you have the money. The 15 is so smooth, for a hobbyist it`s perfect.

Not to hijack this thread, but I`m looking to upgrade from my PC 7424XP as well, and convert the PC to a smaller backing plate for tighter spots. The thing holding me back is not so much the cost of the BOSS or the RUPES machine itself, I`m concerned an upgrade would render my existing Uber pads (which I believe are actually Buff & Shine) useless in that the power of a long throw machine would tear them up. I do only family vehicles, so it`s a half a dozen or less a year.

I`m leaning towards a "15" regardless of the brand I decided on.

Any input on the ability to use existing pads with either the BOSS or RUPES would be greatly appreciated!

Also, how much time does a long throw really save as opposed to the PC?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I will in a week or so make an upgrade to a Boss 15. The 8mm throw is just too small sometimes. I have tons of pads. So I say Boss let`s tear it up! Any Recommendations?

sent from me
    Thanks SGM2008 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B View Post
    I will in a week or so make an upgrade to a Boss 15. The 8mm throw is just too small sometimes. I have tons of pads. So I say Boss let`s tear it up! Any Recommendations?
    Thanks Mary!

It looks like the Boss 15 Starter Kit (Boss 15, pads, pad cleaner, microfiber towels) is less expensive ($349.99) than the Boss 15 itself ($365.00).

Am I missing something?
    Likes Mary B liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SGM2008 View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but I`m looking to upgrade from my PC 7424XP as well, and convert the PC to a smaller backing plate for tighter spots. The thing holding me back is not so much the cost of the BOSS or the RUPES machine itself, I`m concerned an upgrade would render my existing Uber pads (which I believe are actually Buff & Shine) useless in that the power of a long throw machine would tear them up. I do only family vehicles, so it`s a half a dozen or less a year.

I`m leaning towards a "15" regardless of the brand I decided on.

Any input on the ability to use existing pads with either the BOSS or RUPES would be greatly appreciated!

Also, how much time does a long throw really save as opposed to the PC?

Thanks!
    I have mostly buff and shine, and I use them a lot on my Rupes and have never had any trouble, I also didn`t notice a difference from the Buff and Shine when I would switch to my Rupes pads.
    Thanks SGM2008, Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all your input guys. I honestly read all the replies. I`m someone who likes to reasech what I buy and go off people`s reviews to make my decision.

I don`t blame PC for my issue, nor do I blame the detailing company I purchased it through. It`s my fault for letting it sit so long. just where I live without a garage, never had the chance to use it. there is a shop locally that you can rent a space, and it`s cheap. so I plan on doing that in order to use the buffer.

as for now detailing is a hobby of mine. So that`s what I have to go off for buying. Also I`ve learned you pay for what you get. So I`m not trying to be cheap when buying, but also I`m not rich haha.
    thanks again guys, I`ll keep checking this thread and look these up.
    2010 Mercedes Benz GLK350 4matic
    2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
    2006 Mazda Speed 6 (
    Sold)
    1994 Mazda Rx-7 (
    Sold)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information