Post Thanks / Like

Anyone tried larger pads with the FLEX PE8 ?

Wondering how it will perform with pads larger than 4"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone tried larger pads with the FLEX PE8 ?

Pretty sure i saw a compound comparison between 105 and fg400 using the pe8 with like 7" pads.. Its clearly doable, just not sure what the down sides might be

Post Thanks / Like

Im not picking on you allenk4 but it is so weird here. Usually you will see posts about how small of a pad can I put on XYZ polisher...then flex comes out with a tiny polisher to use tiny pads and youre asking how big of a pad can you put on it. Just found that entertaining. I guess if it can handle 5.5 inch pads one could buy JUST a PE8 and have 1 tool for many many many different jobs. I figure that is why you are asking right?
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe
    Likes trashmanssd, Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Or to make it really easy - put an extension on my Makita 9227C and I now have the backing plate of any size spaced out far enough to also get in all those tiny areas, its easy to see what the pad is doing; heck even down to 1 inch pads...

And have way more power, for the big 7" pads which no one really needs unless you are doing boats or airplanes, etc., and most importantly, soft start at 0 rpm, not start at 1300 rpm, speed 1...
    Dan F

Detail Impressions Detail Impressions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys I am a big fan of my PE8, lightweight, tons of power, small. I think it just depends on what your polishing, for motorcycles and small tight areas on cars & trucks it`s hard to beat. Only downside is the rocker switch is a pain.
    I only used three inch as the biggest pads bc thats why I purchased the small rotary.
    Yes there are many different ways to get to the same results and many of you do just that.
    Hey Rupes new battery powered machine will it the market in a few months.... technology and it continues

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn`t consider running larger pads on my PE8. Just because it can be done, doesn`t mean it should be. I`m sure the tool wasn`t designed to run larger pads. That`s a significantly larger mass for that tiny motor to turn, not to mention the increased load. My first worry would be premature tool failure

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can put a 5 or 6 inch backing plate on a pe8, but I don`t think it would be a good idea for many reasons.

Smaller tool than a traditional rotary means less control. Starting speed of 1300rpm is pretty high. Motor probably wasn`t designed for that load. Switch is not ideal for larger work, best to have a trigger with soft start. For the entry cost of a dewalt or makita it`s not as if it is a huge cost saving either, pe14 is a bit more though.

Post Thanks / Like

I just have not found much that falls into the sweet spot of the PE8 with 3" pads, except around the license plate

I prefer my HF pneumatic for 2" pillars and bumpers, the PC for 4" thin panels and the Flex 3401 for 5" and 6 1/2" pads

May may just sell it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    I just have not found much that falls into the sweet spot of the PE8 with 3" pads, except around the license plate

I prefer my HF pneumatic for 2" pillars and bumpers, the PC for 4" thin panels and the Flex 3401 for 5" and 6 1/2" pads

May may just sell it
    I personally don`t like the 3" pads on the Pe8 at all. For some reason the pad always tries to "walk" on me. Especially if I am polishing a vertical panel. It could just be that my technique is really bad, but I think it handles the 2" and 1" pads much better.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Post Thanks / Like

Purchased the 5" CarPro Cool Wool to test out with a 4 3/4" BP on the PE-8

We shall see

Innovative wool pad stays cool during extended polishing sessions

The CarPro Cool Wool Polishing Pad is a detailer’s dream come true! When used with a rotary or dual action polisher, the Cool Wool Polishing Pad eliminates defects in a hurry without scouring or hazing the finish; this state-of-the-art design provides an exceptional amount of cut while creating a finish that used to be reserved for foam pads.

The CarPro Cool Wool Polishing Pad is optimized for both dual action and rotary polishers. The 3/16” nap is short and dense so you can maximize the cutting ability of your dual action polisher. This short nap also benefits rotary polishers because it prevents buffer hop. Use the CarPro Cool Wool Polishing Pad with your favorite polish or compound to eliminate all types of paint defects including swirls, water spots, oxidation, sanding marks and more!

The secret to the CarPro Cool Wool Polishing Pad lies within the imported New Zealand wool and breathable nylon gel lattice cooling interface sandwiched between the backing material and the face of the pad. This unique cooling interface keeps the pad running cool, even during extended polishing sessions. The New Zealand wool is of the highest quality so it will outlast a conventional foam or wool pad.
    https://m.facebook.com/detailedbykyle?_rdr
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Purchased the 5" CarPro Cool Wool to test out with a 4 3/4" BP on the PE-8

We shall see

Innovative wool pad stays cool during extended polishing sessions

The CarPro Cool Wool Polishing Pad is a detailer’s dream come true! When used with a rotary or dual action polisher, the Cool Wool Polishing Pad eliminates defects in a hurry without scouring or hazing the finish; this state-of-the-art design provides an exceptional amount of cut while creating a finish that used to be reserved for foam pads.

The CarPro Cool Wool Polishing Pad is optimized for both dual action and rotary polishers. The 3/16” nap is short and dense so you can maximize the cutting ability of your dual action polisher. This short nap also benefits rotary polishers because it prevents buffer hop. Use the CarPro Cool Wool Polishing Pad with your favorite polish or compound to eliminate all types of paint defects including swirls, water spots, oxidation, sanding marks and more!

The secret to the CarPro Cool Wool Polishing Pad lies within the imported New Zealand wool and breathable nylon gel lattice cooling interface sandwiched between the backing material and the face of the pad. This unique cooling interface keeps the pad running cool, even during extended polishing sessions. The New Zealand wool is of the highest quality so it will outlast a conventional foam or wool pad.
    Any update on how it worked Kyle?

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, no

I purchased a couple more smaller wool pads, but the vehicles I have been polishing lately have been in reasonable condition and not Rotary Candidates

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, no

I purchased a couple more smaller wool pads, but the vehicles I have been polishing lately have been in reasonable condition and not Rotary Candidates

Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information