Post Thanks / Like

Odd Polishing Experience

I am polishing a classic car at the moment that has had a lot of body work and some really sketchy wetsanding. So much body work that my paint thickness gauge can`t even read the fenders. I have also noticed that the doors and trunk have been wetsanded by hand, but the fenders haven`t.

But anyway, the odd thing I am experiencing is the fenders are reacting to my Megs MF pads and D300 differently than the trunk and door. The fenders will have some film left behind that can`t be whipped away and the doors and trunk won`t have a film and will be really glossy. But when I buff the fenders with a Lake Country HD cutting pad and Blackfire Compound it doesn`t leave behind any type of film? Could it be that I am experiencing two different types of paints? Or could it be something else?

I am just curious if anyone else has dealt with anything like this before.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Odd Polishing Experience

Probably done at different times and totally different clear coat used on certain panels (possible damage or root repairs in fenders). I am sure a paint expert will no 100x more then me but I am guessing there are at
    least a few companies making clear coats and each with a few formulations making for dozens of different clear coats now not to mention changes over the years depending on the date it was done. Logistical and practical nightmare for you trying to polish it.

Best guess would be do a test spots on every panel, even then hope they didnt blend out the clear on one the quarter or fender panels.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn`t be surprised at all if you aren`t dealing with two types of paint. A few months back I did a correction on a black 2007 Honda Accord. I could tell by my paint thickness readings that there were several areas that had been repaired and repainted. This paint was a real challenge. What worked well on the hood didn`t work well on the doors and quarter panels which seemed to have much softer paint. I tried all types of combinations and finally had to finish those areas with CG Black Light on a Black Finishing Pad. It was a royal pain in the butt.

Post Thanks / Like

Right, this is one part of why repainted vehicles can be a huge PIA.

Just have to see what products work best on each "generation" of paint. Hopefully something will finish without the "filmy result" issue.

This is exactly why I wouldn`t detail a certain Porsche my pal Bob used to own

Post Thanks / Like

As everybody said. Different paints/clears/times

Pics of car required
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Thread Information