Post Thanks / Like

Are we all in agreement on this..........................

With all that`s been posted lately I wanted to post this to see if we agree with the following 3 statements that I think are the universal truth`s in detailing.

( After learning the proper wash and decon,)

1. The single most important part of creating that Show Car Shine is the ability to perform at top notch paint correction. (Polishing out defects in the paint using the required amount of steps depending on the paint condition)

2. I think that a good quality LSP, of any type (Wax, Sealant, Coating) can boost the shine somewhat, or protect the shine but if its not polished properly it will never look show car amazing.

3. Glazes can approximate a good quality correction, by filling micro marring and swirls but the glazes don`t last more than a few washes and will expose the swirls when they wash out. Glazes are good for:

a. Thin clear coats that cannot be polished
    b. People who don`t have access to a machine
    c. people who don`t have the confidence to polish out their car because they have not done it before and may be afraid of damaging the finish (We have all be there at some point)
    d. people who don`t want/can`t to put the time / effort into a correction

I believe that all of the above it true, and for the new people that come here looking to make their new car shine, I think this is a good place to start. When I got here, I was so focused on the LSP to solve my issues I did not realize I needed to learn to polish first. LSP`s are only going to get you there after you properly wash, decon and polish
    Likes Stokdgs, tropicsteve, WaxAddict liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are we all in agreement on this..........................

I`ll agree to most of it.......

Some glazes add some more "gloss" or life IMHO as well as just fill
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes mrclean81, Stokdgs, JSFM35X liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Ron. I tend to use glazes frequently on my garage queens. It just seems to add something to the gloss level. You really can`t go wrong with Blacklight or EZ Creme Glaze. I try and keep my polishing down to a minimum. I used to be a "swirl chaser" but now I only correct when it`s definitely needed.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing
    Likes Stokdgs, tropicsteve, Junebug liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, all the above is correct.

Different glazes are, well..different. Some of the more modern ones behave as noted (gloss-boost, etc.) while some of the older-tech ones can actually mute a finishes appearance and, sometimes for other reasons as well, can be a waste of time at best on modern b/c paints.

JSFM35X- That is good to point out, the over-reliance on LSP. Most people *do* put undue emphasis on it. "What wax do you use" as opposed to "which polish did you finish out with"?
    Likes JSFM35X liked this post
    Thanks JSFM35X thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yep to all. Black Hole has light cleaning ability, as does Lime Prime, so these can act as gentle pre-wax cleaners.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with all those too. However, I would likely direct a "noob" in the direction of NOT being afraid to learn how to polish (if they want to take care of their own car)...and wash correctly for that matter. If they can compound/polish out the paint the near perfection, and wash properly, they should never have to compound again. Just need a polish 1-2 times per year, followed by a glaze/gloss enhancer if they wish, and seal it up.

I had a guy bring me a trashed black Accord. I told him I would correct it (compound) but he needed to wash it properly. He didn`t want to bother with the 2BM, but he did only go to touchless washes. Next time he brought it back, it just needed a polish.
    Likes JSFM35X liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    ..learn how to polish (if they want to take care of their own car)...and wash correctly for that matter. If they can compound/polish out the paint the near perfection, and wash properly, they should never have to compound again. Just need a polish 1-2 times per year....
    I`d go so far as to say people shouldn`t even need to do (even a very light) POLISH annually! I sure don`t...but than I`m just crazy when it comes to maintenance wash technique (I`ve often heard "eh, I`d rather just polish every now and then rather than go through that!).

(And yeah...I do inspect like a fanatic with many light sources, simply NO NEED TO Polish. Not like I have marring I don`t see, I could tell ya just where the few flaws are. Took me, gee...how many decades of near-weekly washes..to get to this point though.)

This is where David Fermani often chimes in with "yeah, but your cars would still look a little better with a super-gentle Finishing Polish or at least a Paint Cleaner" and I won`t argue, but I still just refresh the LSP and call it "done".
    Likes tuscarora dave, WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

In the not too distant past, a lot of folks here were of the opinion that glazes were only minimally effective on modern clear coated paint (as contrasted with single stage). Have opinions changed or have glazes? Or, possibly, neither. I always enjoyed using Megs #7 (I didn`t have a lot of company in that respect) but I was never sure I was actually accomplishing anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by E-Jag View Post
    In the not too distant past, a lot of folks here were of the opinion that glazes were only minimally effective on modern clear coated paint ....
    IME this is true. Aside from the cleaning ability and the extra "look" I might get from glazes, I see no filling on my dark blue or black cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    IME this is true. Aside from the cleaning ability and the extra "look" I might get from glazes, I see no filling on my dark blue or black cars.
    I get a *LITTLE* concealing with certain products; these aren`t "glazes" per se, but Autoglym SRP and 1Z WaxPolishSoft (do they still make that?) help a little bit on the dark blue `93 Audi. The Meguiar`s Pure Polish glazes are the ones I found useless on b/c.

M07 (and M03/M05/M81) can be really good on old-tech single stage, cleaning, filling, "feeding" (not, it`s just just BS on that type of paint!), and even facilitating minor correction. We did a lot of good things with it back in the day.

Thread Information