Post Thanks / Like
    Must have been me Went to an Opti MF cutting disk with 105/D300 and removed them.

105/301 MF/Foam - even the scuffs won`t buff off ! Took to sanding; 2000/2500/3000

So what do you do when you waaaay under quoted a job.

But stil, how did I impart those fish eyes?

Paint is tough as nails. Came in looking like this, but worse.

But what`s causing these fish eye things:

Last edited by admin; 11-22-2014 at 01:44 PM.
    “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    ~Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that thing is trashed! Ford paint is HARD, at least the paint I have ran across has been. You are probably going to have to step up to M100 or M101. What machine are you using? What speed? Are you using the Kevin Brown Method?

`

Be very careful wetsanding that factory clear. Ford sprays their clear thin. If you are using a PTG disregard my last comment.`

`

As far as you quoting the job low I think it depends on the situation and what you agreed to doing in the first place. I don`t know your experience level or how long you have been doing paint correction but if you quoted him low because of lack of experience than I think you should do the job and write it off as a learning experience. (I`m sorry if that sentence sounded like I was being an ass, that wasn`t my intention at all and apologize if it did)

`

As far as the fish eyes, I can`t see any way that you caused them. Fish eyes are introduced when a vehicle is painted, not afterwards if in fact they really are fish eyes.`

Post Thanks / Like

From the pictures it looks like it`s been keyed and those are deep scratches. Is that what they are?`

Post Thanks / Like
    What i say when I underbid a car: Me to client, "Your car is finished so let`s take a look." Client, "Wow, you got most of those scratches out and all that paint rub." Me, "Yes, I left the scratches that were so deep going after them would have taken off too much paint but even those are less obvious now." Client, "The car looks great, what do I owe you?" Me, "WHAT I QUOTED." Client, "That`s great, thank you." Me, "I`m glad you like my work. I hope you`ll tell your friends."

We are professionals, if we make a mistake, whether it`s underquoting or damaging the car or whatever, we take the consequences and learn from it.

Robert
    Last edited by admin; 11-22-2014 at 01:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the late reply folks. Been buried with work and had to take my daughter off to her first year at college!

`

Just to restate - this 3 month old Raptor was either driven thru brush or he lost control in the mountains 4 wheeling.

`

Did use my ETG, lots of light sanding, buffing with a ariety of pads and products and finished it off with OCP.

`

Customer said it looked better than when he drove it off the lot. Will post pics (someday)
    “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    ~Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to bump this post, but inquiring minds are waiting for the "someday" pictures.

`

Let`s just say that when a customer/client makes the remark that "it looked better than when he drove it off the lot", you`ve done something right to exceed his/her expectations. This truly belies your professionalism and skill in detailing. Hopefully the customer`s word-of-mouth advertising will give you some more "opportunities" to apply your detailing skill to financially make-up the underbidding of this (extreme) project!!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Ya know, I`m just not skilled at photography, so here`s what I have:

Last edited by admin; 11-22-2014 at 01:46 PM.
    ~Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

LeMarque:

Thanks for posting the pictures of the Raptor and your hard work. The "before-and-after" pictures speak for themselves.

Your photographic "skills" at least document what you`ve done and the fact that you`ve taken the time to post and share`them here with us Autopians speaks volumes about your abilities, both detailing and photographic.

`

As a question of interest, how much time did you invest in the wet-sanding process for this truck??
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarque View Post
    <blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Lonnie" data-cid="1441618" data-time="1409922704">

LeMarque:

Thanks for posting the pictures of the Raptor and your hard work. The "before-and-after" pictures speak for themselves.

Your photographic "skills" at least document what you`ve done and the fact that you`ve taken the time to post and share them here with us Autopians speaks volumes about your abilities, both detailing and photographic.

As a question of interest, how much time did you invest in the wet-sanding process for this truck??

Ya know Lonnie, I sure could use a publisist like you

As far as the time sanding, I have selective short term memory when it serves my purposes ...

Ya know Lonnie, I sure could use a publisist like you

As far as the time sanding, I have selective short term memory when it serves my purposes ...

Last edited by admin; 11-22-2014 at 01:50 PM.
    ~Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

Publicist? No!` Envious admirer? YES! Not many have your skills to tackle such an undertaking and daunting task as wet-sanding a black truck.

This last photo of the sanding marks reminds me of the "during" process to any restoration/remodeling project. Everyone`LOVES the end result, but no one understands or appreciates`the sweat equity in the "during" processes.

`

As far as "selective memory" it sometimes comes with experience(AKA age). There are certain things that we remember, but`we`d like to forget; then there are things we forget`at key moments, but should remember`(like former associates``names or significant others` birthday or, God forbid, anniversary!). Thanks again!!
    GB detailer

Thread Information