Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan on doing some paint correction for my black Jeep Grand Cherokee. I`ve done quite a bit of research and I think I have a plan. I`d just like to see if anyone has further recommendations or comments. It`s a year old vehicle and already has a good amount of swirls.

2 Bucket Car wash

Meguiar`s C-2000 Clay Bar

Porter Cable 7424XP

Backing Plate 5" I think it fits the PC ?

Lake Country CSS 4" Pads (Yellow, Orange, White and Black)

Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound Probably only used on wet sand areas for orange peel (yellow pad)

Meguiar`s Scratch X 2.0 Orange Pad

Meguiar`s Ultimate Polish White/Black Pad?

Blackfire Wet Diamond Paint Protection

Meguiar`s Ultimate Liquid Wax

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Autopia!

I`ll get this started and perhaps some others will chime in:

If you haven`t bought any of this yet you might want to consider the Griot`s Polisher as it`s more powerful and has a lifetime warranty so if you have any problems with it a few years down the road you just send it back for repair or replacement.

With a 5" backing plate you need to be using 5.5" pads--if you want to use 4" pads for the small bits on the car you`ll need a 3.5" backing plate.

I think most here would not recommend CSS pads--go with flat pads--LC or better yet 3D, Buff & Shine or Uber--the last 3 are the same and have a recessed velcro that is an added margin of safety.

If you`re new to machine polishing and this is factory paint I think most here would recommend that you stay away from any wetsanding--too easy to burn through the clear coat.

Depending on the severety of the swirls you might be able to do a 1 step correction with HD UNO or just HD Polish (hard to say without seeing the paint) then a coat of HD POXY for protection and a great wax look with sealant protection. (If you`re new to Machine Polishing HD products are very beginner friendly-long working times, no dust, no heavy oils to hide swirls and easy to remove.

Whatever you decide to use make sure you do a test spot to dial in you pads, products and technique--once the test spot is to your satisfaction you can then duplicate the process on the whole car.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

As a detailer you need to be able to ‘read’ the paint; that means knowing how the paint will react with each pad / polish combination you consider using and you do this by experimenting on a ‘test panel’ taking the results you’ll be able to adapt to differing circumstances. You must know your product and what its capabilities are before using it

The factors that affect the outcome -speed, friction (kinetic energy) applied pressure, foam pad actual surface contact area, pad grit number (abrasive ability) amount of surface lubrication available, the surface area and heat conductivity of material

1. Wash

2. Detailer’s clay (surface contaminants) and then light wash / rinse or

a) Chemical Paint Cleaner

3. Paint Decontamination (below surface contaminants) and then light wash with an alkaline (pH 9) wash concentrate

4. Dry paint surfaces

5. Tape protection (edges, emblems, panel edges, etc)

6. Check paint thickness (PTG) if not within ‘safe’ parameters use a Glaze and then proceed to 10

7. Test Panel Process, dependent upon results proceed to (a) ( b) or (c)

a) Compound

b) Polish

c) Wet-sand

8. Paint inspection wipe down

9. Final polish

10. Apply paint protection

Diagnosis is the key, not guess work; before deciding on what products to use ascertain the paint surface conditions and your goals for the paint finish. And then proceed with the least abrasive product / pad combination

Select a ‘typical’ panel; one that represents the type of defects that you want to remove and the finish level required. Select an area of 18 x 18-inches and tape it off with painter’s tape, as this is an optimal working section to perform a product test spot; this will help establish a polish – pad combination that will produce the best possible finish that corresponds to your detailing goals for the vehicle.

Pay attention to how the paint is responding to your inputs. Stop and evaluate your progress, once this is established; repeat the process over the entire paint surface, adjusting abrasiveness for any low paint thickness.

If your choice of abrasive polish pad combination, speed and technique works to restore the finish to your expectations, then theoretically you should be able to duplicate the process on the rest of the vehicle.

There may be some areas that have deeper scratches, which will necessitate a more abrasive polish. This is known a ‘spot-correction’. Once this area(s) are completed revert to the original polish / pad combination, there is no need to remove any more clear coat than is necessary

Normal Polishing area - 18 x 18- inches is optimal although a slightly larger area could be used
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I haven`t bought anything yet, but these are what I`m somewhat familiar with due to my research. I saw multiple people say to use 4" pads to get the best use out of a DA. I`d seen others that say 5.5" is fine too. I dunno, I just decided 4". As far as the CSS, I didn`t see too many descriptions on exactly which type to get. Most said Lake Country is good but not the type. Do you have any links to where I should get them? It doesn`t look like Amazon has the pads your referring to.

As far as the wet sand. I just painted a grill and trim piece that have a little orange peel. I read these forums up and down looking for discussions on wet sanding and I think I will do some light sanding then the heavy (yellow) cutting pad with my best cutting compound, in this case, Ultimate Compound.

The Porter Cable seems to be the right price and so many people seem to be happy with it. Other than that, I haven`t looked into the polishers much further.

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    5.5" pads are probably your best bet for a Griots machine. You also don`t need the scratch-X. I`d get UC and UP. You don`t need two LSP`s. Make sure you do a test area before you go down the path of doing the whole car, that is the biggest newbie mistake.

Lastly, I wouldn`t begin until I addressed the swirling issues. If it has significant swirls from a year`s use, you need to solve that problem otherwise your work will be a waste of time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Griggs
    As far as the wet sand. I just painted a grill and trim piece that have a little orange peel. I read these forums up and down looking for discussions on wet sanding and I think I will do some light sanding then the heavy (yellow) cutting pad with my best cutting compound, in this case, Ultimate Compound...

I avoid harsh foam cutting pads (like the yellow ones) like the plague! I`d *MUCH* rather use a Meguiar`s MF Cutting Disk. Better correction, easier to clean between passes, and much better finish that`s easier to dehaze with the next step.

the Porter Cable seems to be the right price and so many people seem to be happy with it. Other than that, I haven`t looked into the polishers much further.

I`d buy the Griot`s 6" RO polisher instead. Period, hands-down, no question. Or maybe the Meguiar`s G120 vs. The PC XP makes me nervous what with the spindle breakage Barry experienced.

Oh, and Welcome to Autopia!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d think about how the swirls got there in the first place and how you`re going to prevent them from returning before spending hours on a paint correction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Auto Detail
    I`d think about how the swirls got there in the first place and how you`re going to prevent them from returning before spending hours on a paint correction.

Yeah, good point. Until the wash regimen is all sorted out the whole correction thing is kinda pointless, at least if you`re thinking long-term.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Griggs
    Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I haven`t bought anything yet, but these are what I`m somewhat familiar with due to my research. I saw multiple people say to use 4" pads to get the best use out of a DA. I`d seen others that say 5.5" is fine too. I dunno, I just decided 4". As far as the CSS, I didn`t see too many descriptions on exactly which type to get. Most said Lake Country is good but not the type. Do you have any links to where I should get them? It doesn`t look like Amazon has the pads your referring to.

As far as the wet sand. I just painted a grill and trim piece that have a little orange peel. I read these forums up and down looking for discussions on wet sanding and I think I will do some light sanding then the heavy (yellow) cutting pad with my best cutting compound, in this case, Ultimate Compound.

The Porter Cable seems to be the right price and so many people seem to be happy with it. Other than that, I haven`t looked into the polishers much further.

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

You can get Lake Country flat pads at almost any detailing website. 3D pads are available from our sponsor here-click on the link above. Uber pads are available from another of our sponsors--Detailers Domain--click on the link above. Google Buff & Shine and you`ll find a number of dealers.

The Griot`s DA is about the same price as the PC, but as I said is much more powerful and has a lifetime warranty. Amazon and BJs.com often have them on sale for $80-90, but you have to watch for it (Gold Box Deals on Amazon).

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not familiar with this step...

You also don`t need the scratch-X. I`d get UC and UP. You don`t need two LSP`s

I was thinking of only using UC on my orange peel project. I thought UC would be a little aggressive for the whole car. I was planning on using Scratch X 2.0 for the whole car then UP.

I don`t really know how the swirls got there. I`ve only owned the Jeep for about a couple of months. I don`t think they`re for me, I`ve been careful. 2 Bucket method, only using dedicated drying towels and micro fiber cloths.

I`d buy the Griot`s 6" RO polisher instead. Period, hands-down, no question.

Ok, looks like Amazon has the Griot`s for the same price. I assume I can use the same 5" backing plate listed in the original post.

5.5" pads are probably your best bet for a Griots machine.

You can get Lake Country flat pads at almost any detailing website.

I also found 5 1/2" Lake Country Flat Pads on Amazon. If that`s the current recommendation on it I`ll go with the bigger pads.

Any other thoughts or comments are appreciated!

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m not familiar with this step...

2. Detailer’s clay (surface contaminants) and then light wash / rinse or

As an alternate to clay (non-marring)

What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just like with the PC you have to purchase a 5" backing plate for the GG6 as it comes with a 6" backing plate--any quality backing plate will work. Those Lake Country pads are fine, however on most detailing websites you can get a 6 pack for $35. You`ll need at least 4 for use with the UC, 4 for the polish and then one for each LSP you plan to use. Until you do a test spot you won`t know which product to use, but I doubt the UC will be too aggressive.

Post Thanks / Like
    As an alternate to clay (non-marring)

Thanks

Just like with the PC you have to purchase a 5" backing plate for the GG6 as it comes with a 6" backing plate--any quality backing plate will work.

So I think I`m going to be ordering soon. This backing plate will work with the Griots and pads listed above? Any other backing plate I should be looking at?

What does LSP stand for?

You`ll need at least 4 for use with the UC, 4 for the polish and then one for each LSP you plan to use

If I got a 6 pack of pads, which colors do you recommend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pwaug
    Just like with the PC you have to purchase a 5" backing plate for the GG6 as it comes with a 6" backing plate--any quality backing plate will work. Those Lake Country pads are fine, however on most detailing websites you can get a 6 pack for $35. You`ll need at least 4 for use with the UC, 4 for the polish and then one for each LSP you plan to use. Until you do a test spot you won`t know which product to use, but I doubt the UC will be too aggressive.

I`ve been using the backing plate that came with my GG6 with 5.5 pads all its life. Honestly, I didn`t even know it was for 6" pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh really, so i don`t even need to get a plate?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information