Post Thanks / Like
    As this is my first post here, I`m always afraid of asking the question that has already been asked atleast 100x, but that is the risk I`ll take I guess, seems like a great group of guys/gals here!

My Vehicle: 1997 Chevy 1500

Original Paint on the truck except for passenger door and bedside

I am a major DIY type of guy and while I don`t have the guts to buy a rotary polisher, I have decided to get the Griot`s Garage Random Orbit model, (Autotopia helped me choose it over the Porter Cable, hope I made a wise choice?)

On to my real question: What products to go with the polisher?

I am open to any product or retailer, but I do have a modest budget. I am hoping to get what I need for Around $100 on top of the polisher itself. On my own I keep going back to Chemical guys, as they seem to have good prices, but I have no other reason to buy from them if you recommend a better bang for your buck retailer. I was looking at the 5.5" Hex-Logic pads, but don`t know if that`s what I need, if if they are good pads, which colors I should get. Then on to the polish itself, do I get a 1-step, 2-step, 3-step, etc. . .? Any recommendation would be helpful. Now the process: I was thinking 1. VERY thorough wash & dry 2. Clay bar (recommendations here too please, will any detail spray work for the lubricant or is it special lubricant) 3. Machine polish steps as recommended from you guys hopefully 4. finally a hand wax Is this a good process? Or am I making some major rookie mistakes here? I will attach some pictures of my truck to help out.

Again, I hope I am not making anyone mad by asking questions that a search on this forum could have answered but I am always nervous about reading advice pertaining to a specific application and it be the wrong thing for my case. Feel free to reply with a links to my questions as it might save you some typing. I will try to asnwer any follow up questions asap.

The pictures below are of the typical marring marks on the vehicle and of the one sever spot right on the center crease of my hood (which I assume adds some difficulty to its removal. On the pic of the severe mark, I am not looking to remove the two nicks, but just the marks, which are just slightly felt by my fingernail.

Thanks in advance for all the help! Forums are one of the reasons that makes the internet such a valuable resource!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Autopia!

I`d give Meguiar`s new 5 inch DA Microfiber cutting pads a try.

And go with either Meg`s M105 or D300 polishing compounds (with the MF pads).

And then Menzerna SF4500 (85rd) for the polish with a foam polishing pads

Our sponsor (Detailer`s Domain) can set you up with everything you need.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    to Autopia and don`t be concerned about asking questions, even the guys with 10,000+ posts had to start somewhere. You don` t start out with experience
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    J.robinson389- Welcome to Autopia!

What David Fermani said,though I`ll add that Uno is a good alternative to the M105/D300.

On the "deep enough to feel with fingernail" ones, just try for better as opposed to perfect.

The nicks/chips look like a good application for DrColorchips, and that approach (or you could use the Langka system) would be a good way to handle the touchups without opening the can of worms that is wetsanding. These are easy methods to try and you can basically "just wipe away" any less-than-pleasing results and try again.

For wax, I like Collinite (either their 845 Insulator Wax or their 476S DoubleCoat), but there are also good sealants like FK1000P and Poxy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT
    to Autopia and don`t be concerned about asking questions, even the guys with 10,000+ posts had to start somewhere. You don` t start out with experience
    It`s good to see a forum where people are willing to help without saying RTFM!

I myself plan on getting the Griots Garage Random Orbital also, as my 10" Walmart polisher literally isn`t cutting it. I feel as though I`ve gotten all I can get out of it, and will never achieve a mirror finish with it.

When I do get the GG random orbital, should I just keep asking any questions I may have (and I`m sure I will) in this thread, or just start a new one? I don`t want to piss people off. Thanks, you guys are the best.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers"

A detailing forum`s purpose is to discuss detailing (products, thechnique, etc) we all had to learn / start somewhere so ask away.

If you read the articles here they may give you some answers and also a basis for questions - “Detailing 101” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...detailer.html# I hope the information in these articles is of some help to you. If you have any further questions please let us know
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Thread Information