Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, im new to this forum and i want to start offering paint correction services to my customers. I have never used any machine polisher and im not sure where to start. Im thinking about a Porter Cable but i have no idea what pads to use with what products. I`ve heard many good things about M105 and M205 but i`ve also been interested in chemical guys V34, V36, and V38. What pads do i use with these products? Are there other products that may be superior? Should i use M105 and M205, as opposed to V34, V36, and V38 or vice versa?

Thanks for any help

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    First let me say welcome to Autopia

[…i want to start offering paint correction services to my customers. I have never used any machine polisher and im not sure where to start.

My best suggestion is to learn how to do paint correction before trying to sell it to a customer, there are lots of article on this forum and many training videos and classes and most contributors to this forum are more than happy to answer any detailing questions and offer help
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT

[…i want to start offering paint correction services to my customers. I have never used any machine polisher and im not sure where to start.

My best suggestion is to learn how to do paint correction before trying to sell it to a customer, there are lots of article on this forum and many training videos and classes and most contributors to this forum are more than happy to answer any detailing questions and offer help

What he said..

Lots of incredibly valuable info here.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/welcome...s-newbies.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT

Oh yeah, I wont sell to customers before learning how to. I`ve watched many videos about it, i just want to know what products to use and what products are better than the others. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to a body shop or a salvage yard and get a damaged hood or trunk lid, with a clearcoat on it, darker color is best.

That is what you "practice" on, learn how the rotary works, what pads, what products.

You will be amazed at some things you will learn doing this, such as-

How various speeds of the buffer affect the clearcoat, how the different speeds will affect the product you selected.

You will learn how to control the angle of the buffer, do flat surfaces, edges, etc.

You experience how the different pads selected work with the various compounds, polishes.

Another thing you will have an opportunity to work with is scratches, how deep, what a rotary will do for a repair and when to "wet sand" some, etc.

That is how you learn the basic`s, without damaging a customer`s vehicle.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Most definitely! I wish I had a hood but I have two fenders. When I practiced with them I clamped them to two sawhorses. That reminds me, if I ever want to play with them again, I`ll need to get sawhorses. The ones I had up north are long gone. I imagine the same would hold true for a hood or trunk deck. Need to prop them up on something--sawhorses,on a work bench,etc.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, if you fasten some old carpet on the tops of the saw horses, or whatever, that is all you need.

Anyone who "moves" a large piece of a car such as a hood or trunk lid, even some fenders--way too agressive with the tool.

All we had at the Automotive International Technical Training Center was two metal, cheap horses from Harbor Frieght with some foam rubber, duct taped on to hold it down.

The hood or trunk lid being used for training didn`t move and if it did, I got to slap the XXXX out of the student for not paying attention to the chat I gave as I or Tim did the hands on demo. (my favorite part of the class)

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    I love duct tape!! I got to get myself down to Harbor Freight soon as one more item, the saw horses, just got added to the list. Oh, and for anyone who needs a good floor squeege for the garage or a good pro floor sweeping mop, they are a great source!

Post Thanks / Like
    My shop floor is pavers.

I don`t sweep it, I don`t mop it.

All rise for the electric leaf blower!!!!

Of course it has a few mil`s of overspray on it.

Helps hold the pavers together.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Pavers are very popular here in FL I use a leaf blower for the floor too but the mop for in a pinch work. The squeege is for after in garage washes

Post Thanks / Like
    Only time my shop floor sees water is if I leave the big door open when the wind blows the rain just right or like Wed, wet it down with the hose before I painted the fenders and some other parts on another old bike I am restoring.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the mop and squeege are two less things for you to buy

In FL it`s tough to wash outside without a CRS or at least only during early morning or evening.There`s always the risk of water spots baking a finish in no time unless maybe you try to marathon wash and dry in sections if you want to wash with a foam gun like I do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your in the right place to learn "Auto paint correction". REMEMBER: even if taught, that doesnt mean you can accomplish indepth "auto paint rejuvenation". As with most talents you need the knack....and its mostly about "feel" when your power polishing a panel. You need to be in tune to exactly how much drag your creating on the substraight surface. You also need to call on the proper pad and chemical. This takes experience. Paint correction is about friction. "Paintxpert" Shine Since 1969

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a large car port attached in front of the shop and the parking spot in the back is shaded by a willow tree.

Of course I only wash either of the vehicles when I get bored or they are so dirty even I am ashamed.

I had a condo for years in Ruskin, south of my son`s home in Riverview.

Never lived in it leased it out to some Canadian`s for 7 years, then sold it to them.

Decided I just didn`t want to live out my retirement down there.

Nothing wrong with it, just too hot in the summer, too humid wet in the winter and the cost of living is about twice what it is here.

Plus all my old buddies I like to drink with live here, that`s a biggy! LOL!

I lived all over this country, just found I like the 4 seasons, heck I even like winter.

Snow is fun, if you got a Jeep, which I do, parked somewhere, only get it out when 6 inches or more of snow falls.

Back to the thread, it is really important that anyone who is going to use a rotary buffer follow what we have been posting.

All the video`s, all the threads, etc, don`t provide near what getting one`s hand`s on a buffer, using different pads, etc.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham
    Go to a body shop or a salvage yard and get a damaged hood or trunk lid, with a clearcoat on it, darker color is best.

That is what you "practice" on, learn how the rotary works, what pads, what products.

You will be amazed at some things you will learn doing this, such as-

How various speeds of the buffer affect the clearcoat, how the different speeds will affect the product you selected.

You will learn how to control the angle of the buffer, do flat surfaces, edges, etc.

You experience how the different pads selected work with the various compounds, polishes.

Another thing you will have an opportunity to work with is scratches, how deep, what a rotary will do for a repair and when to "wet sand" some, etc.

That is how you learn the basic`s, without damaging a customer`s vehicle.

Grumpy
    Thanks, that`s a great idea, will do!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information