Post Thanks / Like
    Ive been doing things by hand for about 3 years. I currently have a mazda speed3 and bmw 328i both white that have some mild swirls.

As a beginner, what machine should i be looking at? I am also a bit confused on which pads i should start with for these cars. Any tips? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I look at getting a Pc kit to start with from autogeek or one of the other online places.That gives you just about everything you need to start with and get the job done right.

Porter Cable 7424 XP Dual Action Polisher - dual action orbital car polisher, car care kits, buffer kits, PC 7424,7424XP, 7424 XP, porter cable

heres a link to a few Pc kits.
    04 cobra mystichrome Sold new home in AZ.

Post Thanks / Like
    look into getting a PCXP, G110v2 or Griots 6" random orbital. personally, i would buy the machine by itself and then buy the pads seperate. the problem with kits is they include some things you may not use, and you can use the money on other things that you will. Detailed Image has sales and deals going on all the time and also carry the lake country Flat pads in 4", 5.5" and 6.5" sizes...

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I am going to go with the 7424xp and maybe try something else later on.

My issue is I am unsure of the pads i should be starting with. I am not sure how soft mazda and bmw paint is. Both cars have some mild swirls. It seems that my best bet would be to start with an orange pad and step it down to a white pad? Do i need something else for my LSP?

Post Thanks / Like
    as mentioned.. DetailedImage has the lake country pads and to start, pick up three each of both the orange and white 5.5" flat pads...

Buffer Pads Products - Detailed Image

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s an article on the different types of machines,

http://www.autopia.org/forum/autogee...g-project.html

Regardless of where you buy any DA Style polisher, here`s a couple of videos that cover how to use one to remove swirls...

How to do a "Section Pass" using any DA Polisher and even a Flex 3401 and Cyclo Polisher

How To Remove Swirls, Scratches and Water Spots using a PC 7424XP, Meguiar`s G110v2 or Griot`s Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher

(This also includes the PC 7424, 7336, G110, G220 and UDM)

If you prefer to read, here`s a pretty in-depth and detailed article that goes over everything related to using a DA Polisher to removes swirls and restore a show car finish...

http://www.autopia.org/forum/autogee...-polisher.html

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redem

Ive been doing things by hand for about 3 years.

Machine = faster, easier and better results...

Man versus Machine

Post Thanks / Like
    I have read several times that I should not be going much over 1500 rpm while polishing. The pc xp has a starting speed of 2500, should I avoid the xp for this reason and look for something else?

Post Thanks / Like
    XP is a great starting point........
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive been doing things by hand for about 3 years. I currently have a mazda speed3 and bmw 328i both white that have some mild swirls...

IIRC the Mazda 3 clear is supposedly pretty soft. BMW clear varies with year (and maybe even color and model). IF the 328 is the same vintage as my `97 e36 M3, then it`s clear is *HARD*.

As a beginner, what machine should i be looking at? I am also a bit confused on which pads i should start with for these cars.

If you can swing the cost, I`d get a Flex 3401. Pad will vary with the job, but generally I`d go with the LC Hydrotech pads.

I think I am going to go with the 7424xp and maybe try something else later on.

I`d go with the Griot`s instead, but OK. If the BMW has the clear I think it does, you`ll need a 4" pad setup to correct it IME.

I have read several times that I should not be going much over 1500 rpm while polishing. The pc xp has a starting speed of 2500, should I avoid the xp for this reason and look for something else?

I think you`re confusing the RPM rate of a rotary with the *OPM* rate of a random orbital. (And this is leaving aside that I`ve taken a rotary over 1500 rpms many times with zero problems.)

No, no...you won`t have *any* problems with a PCXP except that you`ll probably wish it were more powerful [Insert another "buy a Flex or at least a Griot`s" here...]

Post Thanks / Like
    am i going to need something more than megs 205 for correcting light to mild swirls on these cars? It seems like I am going to need to go down to 4 inch pads on the bmw which is an 08, but on the mazda would 205 on a 6 inch white pad correct the light swirls?

I really dont know how much correction these products can do

Post Thanks / Like
    am i going to need something more than megs 205 for correcting light to mild swirls on these cars?

I just don`t know. You won`t either until you try a test spot, but I`d want to have something stronger on hand. Remember that M205 is a *finishing* polish, even if people do push its envelope by using it with orange pads.

I simply don`t get any real correction out of M205/6" white via PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Understood, I guess my questions really cant be answered. This answers my question from a previous thread. m205 is pretty much a finishing polish with some light correction ability? It is ok to use often...?

The mazda should be fine with m205 and a white pad as it needs little correction the more and more i look at it. If it does need more ill have something on hand. The bmw is another story and m205 may not be enough. I was easily able to see the swirls through the dirt on the bmw last night from my headlights shining on the bumper. Both are outside cars. Bmw will get collinite 845 and I think i will be trying s100 for the mazda. 845 works and looks good on the bmw but on the mazdas crystal white pearl I cant say i cared too much for anyting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Understood, I guess my questions really cant be answered. This answers my question from a previous thread. m205 is pretty much a finishing polish with some light correction ability?

Yep. How much correction will depend on the paint (and to a lesser degree, what pad you use).

It is ok to use often...?

Pretty much so, if only because it doesn`t take off all that much paint.

The mazda should be fine with m205 and a white pad as it needs little correction the more and more i look at it. If it does need more ill have something on hand. The bmw is another story and m205 may not be enough. I was easily able to see the swirls through the dirt on the bmw last night from my headlights shining on the bumper. Both are outside cars.

Maybe consider Ultimate Compound for your more aggressive option. I`ll be interested to hear how things go, if only because I`d expect that the M205 won`t be aggressive enough. Heh heh, sure wouldn`t be the first time I was wrong about something!

Thread Information