Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using the 7424 for a few years, not that much, maybe twice a year, and have not really experimented. I have been using the 6" counterweight with a 5" yellow hook`n loop backing plate and a 6.5" pad. After doing a little reading I am wondering if that is a good setup. Should I switch to a 6" backing plate? Or go down to a 6" pad? I don`t feel like buying all of the above and experimenting. What do you guys recommend?

Post Thanks / Like
    That is the correct combination of components IMHO

Post Thanks / Like
    I always go with the smaller pads on the DA. IMO the 6.5 pads are just too big to get much correction out of the DA. I know there are some on here that do it just fine and I am amazed by it. But I think the majority of DA users are going with smaller pads now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with fergnation. I prefer a ~5 inch BP and 5.5 inch pads. If I`m just doing a simple 1-step with Poli-Seal (gloss/shine > correction), I`ll use a 6.5 inch pad as the bigger pad covers an area more quickly. But for correction type of work with the PC, 5.5 inch pads are the way to go.
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    i`ll third those guys...uber flat pads in 5.5" on the PC, speed 6, with a 5 inch weight!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mshu7
    I agree with fergnation. I prefer a ~5 inch BP and 5.5 inch pads. If I`m just doing a simple 1-step with Poli-Seal (gloss/shine > correction), I`ll use a 6.5 inch pad as the bigger pad covers an area more quickly. But for correction type of work with the PC, 5.5 inch pads are the way to go.

So if you use a 5.5" pad with a 5" backing plate, then do you go down to a 5" counterweight?

Post Thanks / Like
    Oops, missed the above post. 5" weight then it seems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by acohen100
    So if you use a 5.5" pad with a 5" backing plate, then do you go down to a 5" counterweight?

I use whatever CW came on the PCXP. I don`t recall off the top of my head what the size of the CW is though.
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    Stock counterweight is the 5 inch. I use the 5 in HD backing plate from autogeek.net, with 5.5 CCS pads. Works for me on most areas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by acohen100

NO, I don`t. I`ve been using the 6" counterweight for years, even with 4" pads.

The counterweights are based on the differences in weight between the 5" and 6" PC factory backing plates (when fittend with a single sheet of sandpaper, which doesn`t add any appreicable weight). That difference isn`t much (I forget the specifics, but a few years ago I weighed a whole bunch of different backing plates).

A foam pad, wet with product, let alone a heavier aftermarket backing plate, can weigh a *LOT*, whereas a single sheet of sandpaper weighs next to nothing. This makes it a wholey different situation IMO, one of the kinda-hidden aspects of using the PC as a polisher instead of a finish sander.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fergnation
    I always go with the smaller pads on the DA. IMO the 6.5 pads are just too big to get much correction out of the DA. I know there are some on here that do it just fine and I am amazed by it. But I think the majority of DA users are going with smaller pads now.

Quote Originally Posted by mshu7

Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy
    i`ll third those guys...uber flat pads in 5.5" on the PC, speed 6, with a 5 inch weight!

Can I "fourth" this, or is that overkill?

You can stay with your 6 inch weight though.

Thread Information