Thread: Burned my paint

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m new here and somewhat new to using a rotory buffer. I was trying to get some Bird crap which ate into the clear coat deeply. Using the Menz intensive polish with a 4" orange pad at the number 1 setting I got it about 70% of the way down on one spot. The next spot was worse I had used about 1/4 the bottle on the other one so I thougth of trying some 3m super duty compoud. On the first couple of passes it hazed the are quickly and I noticed the bird stain was about 70% in a couple of passes. I got too agressive and burned a nice golden spot into the hood. I ran the truck over to Macco they want $274 to repaint the spot and clear coat the whole hood. I was wondering if you guys know of any paint product to fix burn spots I could to my self make it look better until I can save up the money to get it fixed. I`m thinking of just getting the whole truck re painted they said be about $1000 for the upper half 2 tone truck I would have to remove everything for them unless I pay them to do it. Macco doesn`t sand down the base coat only the clear unless you pay more. I`m thinking a good paint job be around $4000. but the truck isn`t worth that much about 8k at the most. If the transmission went out or somthing which it doesn`t shift out of 1st all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yikes, sorry to hear that. I suppose you could try the clear coat paint in a bottle from the paint chip repair kits and brush it on with the applicator to hold off the clear-less area until you decide your next step. Don`t bother with the wetsanding/compound/polish of it after that, as it may come out worse.

Good luck, and welcome to Autopia

Post Thanks / Like
    Just for future reference, frequently bird poop etching is so deep it may go all the way to the primer, so you may not be able to remove it through polishing, only improve it to the "70%" you noted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks I just got done using the Menz intensive polish on my 08 Subaru Impreza STI. The car is black and got full of swirls scratches. I found the Menz polish kit works great on it. Took me all day going over the same spots but it`s very forgiving unlike the 3m super duty. I ran out of light and hadn`t used the final polish 2 yet and when I parked it back in the garage under the florescent lights the haze showed up my wife had a cow when she saw it. She thought I scratched the our new car all up. I had to drop everything and run the final polish 2 over the hood with the white pad show her how it would clean up. It cleaned up like a mirror after what I did to the ford truck she was really scared I would burn the paint on our STI but didn`t happen. The menz stuff is good for newbie’s I should have stuck to that with the ford. I`m thinking of just pulling the hood off and sand the whole thing down to the base coat and sand the burn area down to the primer. Repaint the base in the burn area and repaint the whole hood with the clear using spray cans. If I could hang the hood vertical in my garage I should be able to do okay with the spray cans. I found 11 oz spray cans wonder if it would work? This is what macco was going to do for $280.00.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kell490
    The next spot was worse I had used about 1/4 the bottle on the other one so

you used a 1/4 of a bottle try to remove 1 spot?

Post Thanks / Like
    You didn`t say what kind of truck it is or what color it is, but if its a common truck and common color, you may be able to find a half descent hood at a junk yard or on Craigs List. That may be a cheaper alternative to paying Maco to do sub standard paint job. You could honestly probably buy a spray gun and all the equipment needed to paint the entire hood yourself and get the same if not better of a job.

If your any good at rattle can painting, you can buy clear coat in a rattler. Tape of a square around the burn mark, sand it down with some fine grit paper then spray it with the clear. What do you have to lose?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2003 Ford SVT Cobra # 4635
    585 RWHP on pump fuel! Brought to you by Matt Hill Motorsports!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJimZ28
    you used a 1/4 of a bottle try to remove 1 spot?

Yea, I had a few ????? feelings myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just take the truck to a GOOD paint shop and tell them to do the hood. I`d stay as far as Maaco as you can. You`d wish you would of left the burn mark after a Maaco job, usually.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danase
    Just take the truck to a GOOD paint shop and tell them to do the hood. I`d stay as far as Maaco as you can. You`d wish you would of left the burn mark after a Maaco job, usually.

Yeah I didn`t want to flat out bash the entire company because I`ve heard that there are actually good Maaco`s out there, but I`ve never encountered one and that`s why I mentioned just buying a rattle can of clear.

I think you can spot fix the burn mark with proper prep work and a rattle can better than any Maaco I`ve ever seen can do.

OP, did you burn all the way down to the base coat or is it just the clear that you can tell?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    I changed my mind with maaco because as you said they really don`t do much prep work. After questioning them about how they paint they don`t remove anything just tape off. I think the best option is to get a can of base coat and clear sand it down in that area primer it, base coat, and clear over. Some questions from above the truck is a dark blue metallic with gold tone along the bottom 99 F150 extended cab 4wd. The burn is to the primer. I used maybe 1/4 of a 16oz bottle of Menz intensive polish on 2 spots part of the reason I grabbed the 3m super duty because I didn`t want to use it up and needed it for the other car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used maybe 1/4 of a 16oz bottle of Menz intensive polish on 2 spots

F.Y.I.

4oz. of polish should be enough polish to several full size cars

not sure how you used so much:think:

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^^I wish.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I changed my mind with maaco because as you said they really don`t do much prep work. After questioning them about how they paint they don`t remove anything just tape off. I think the best option is to get a can of base coat and clear sand it down in that area primer it, base coat, and clear over. Some questions from above the truck is a dark blue metallic with gold tone along the bottom 99 F150 extended cab 4wd. The burn is to the primer. I used maybe 1/4 of a 16oz bottle of Menz intensive polish on 2 spots part of the reason I grabbed the 3m super duty because I didn`t want to use it up and needed it for the other car.

That`s a pretty common vehicle, you may be able to get a hood for it in the scrap yard that will only require a little TLC to make the finish look good. If not you can get a can of Dupli-Color from Auto Zone or PepBoys and a can of clear and jut fix it yourself. It will never look perfect without painting the entire hood and blending it into the fenders, but you can probably make it good enough to make it disappear to anyone that`s not looking for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danase

You`re totally right Bob. ALL MAACO`s suck! They`ve always been known for using that crappy off-brand paint and painting around trim.

I ran an estimate to paint the entire hood professionally and it`s only $315. That includes removing the washer nozzles, repairing the burn through, putting color & clear over the entire panel. It will be a little cheaper to partial spot repair it with full clear. Because it`s black and the way the sides of the hood isn`t exposed to much of the same plane as the tops of the fenders, blending will not be needed. Keep in mind that your hood is alloy too. Make sure the shop know it and preps it with the proper materials. Otherwise, the paint will lift/delaminate down the road in the spots that get sanded down to metal.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Thread Information