Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone!

I just purchased a Chicago Rotary from Harbor Frieght. I just have a couple questions before I start to use it.

My past machine was a PC DA. I used Menzerna SIP, and 106FF. And the combo finished quite nicely. I knew I wasn`t going to get perfect results, so I never invested into a compound.

However, a rotary is different. I was planning on getting Menzerna Power Gloss.

This was going to be my combo......

Menzerna Power Gloss

Menzerna SIP

Menzerna 106FF

What pads should I use for each product. I was planning on using.

LCC CCS Yellowor Purple Wool -> Power Gloss

LCC Purple Wool Pad or Orange -> SIP

LCC CCS White or Black ->106FF

Would that be too agressive?

Suggestions!!!!!!

-Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good to me.
    Devil Pad

Professional Automotive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    What type of pads should I use for each step. For the PC i just used Orange for SIP, and White for Nano...........

I was thinking of using this for my pads:

Power Gloss -> Purple Wool or Yellow

SIP -> Orange or White

106FF -> White or Black

(These are all LCC Pads)

Which ones would you suggest using?

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use PFW for both PG and SIP (use fresh pads obviously). If you need more correction than PFW can provide, then look into getting a black edge wool pad. The heavy hitting foam pads tend to hop a lot IME, especially with Menzerna. I`ve recently jumped on the wool bandwagon and don`t intend to look back.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think there are better compounds then powergloss. Go for either 105 or 3m extra cut.
    Daniel J Wendell

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cushdrive
    You can use PFW for both PG and SIP (use fresh pads obviously). If you need more correction than PFW can provide, then look into getting a black edge wool pad. The heavy hitting foam pads tend to hop a lot IME, especially with Menzerna. I`ve recently jumped on the wool bandwagon and don`t intend to look back.

So do you reccommend Edge Wool Pads over anything else? Where do you purchase them from? AG?

Quote Originally Posted by baseballlover1
    I think there are better compounds then powergloss. Go for either 105 or 3m extra cut.

PG and 105 are basically the same:

Powergloss can use 1000-1200rpm up to 1000grit.

105 uses 1500-2000rpm upt to 1200grit on rotory.

I think both can work on ceramic clearcoat. That I am not sure of

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by M0nK3y
    So do you reccommend Edge Wool Pads over anything else? Where do you purchase them from? AG?

I prefer edge because they center themselves and they`re easy to change. To be honest with you, I`d be very surprised if you need anything heavier than PFW. I have an Imola Red E46 M3, so I assume our paints are similar, and the PFW levelled all the defects in my paint with two passes of SIP on PFW. BTW, if I remember correctly LC pads require a 4 3/4" backing plate right? Make sure you have a 6" BP for the PFW.

Edit: Oh yea...I got my stuff from AG.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mind I ask why the difference in BP diameters? Right now I have a 5" and 7" that came w/the rotary........

With the edge pads, do I need an adapter in order for them to fit correctly?

Post Thanks / Like
    The PFW pads are 6.5" so even with a 5" BP, you`ve still got 1.5" overhang all the way around the pad. I started out with a smaller backing plate and all of that overhang was cutting differently than the area directly under the BP. I ended up finding an old 6" BP and not only did I get a more uniform polish, but I was able to move a lot faster as well. I never noticed this with foam pad, but I think that`s because the foam was stiffer and distributing the weight more evenly across the whole pad. The Edge system does require a special adapter, and I probably wouldn`t buy it for just the black wool. I`m sure LC has an equivalent version. If you decide you like the concept and decide to start phasing out of the LC pads and into the Edge stuff, then I don`t think you`ll be disappointed. It doesn`t matter what size pad you buy, you never need to worry about BP sizes AND the Edge pads are double-sided. You can even custom order your pads to include a different color on each side.

Post Thanks / Like
    You`re about to have 75 guys who are going to disagree with you about that statement. Just get ready.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EisenHulk
    You`re about to have 75 guys who are going to disagree with you about that statement. Just get ready.

Why is that..........

Post Thanks / Like
    Because most of the guys on here who have tried both PG and 105 say that 105 is light years ahead of PG in terms of cut.

Why is that..........

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, everyone I think that I`ve heard from would say 105 would blow PG away. From everyone I`ve spoken to.. it finishes down GREAT for a big compound and works VERY fast. Also, Superbee would tell you that Megs 95 is a great option too - according to him has the same results as 105 but not such a lightning fast working time (a little easier to use than 105).

Post Thanks / Like
    Would I really need yellow pads if I am using Purple Wool Pads?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EisenHulk

Am I too late to be guy number one??

Seriously, the only thing PG and Megs M105 have in common is nothing. nada. zilch. I would not recommend that a new guy purchase M105 over PG, but I *would* recommend (with much vim and vigor) that a new guy buy Megs M95 over Power Gloss. M95 is much easier to use, and will finish down *MUCH* nicer than PG will. Just be careful, cause this stuff has *alot* of cut. Much more than PG does. Much, much more.

As for pads, yeah, I`m yet another wool fan. Don`t bother with yellow foam cutting pads. They`re pretty much obsolete. You`ll get better, safer results with PFW.

M95 with PFW pad. Great combo.

SIP with PFW pad. Great combo

PO106FF with white, black/grey/blue/red finishing foam
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information