Post Thanks / Like
    Hi! I have bought a cheap rotary from ebay (about 60euro) and I am trying to eliminate swirls.

I used 1Z Metallic Polish and Meguiars 6.5 Polishing Pad (I wanted something really mild to learn with)

If you have time watch my video using the rotary and comment!!!

Video of Rotary - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Am I moving too fast, too slow am I using too much product am I buffing too long? I want to point me things like that so I get better next time.(being in Greece is tough to find someone to learn a few things)

thx in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    that doesnt look like a cheap rotary, looks like the makita.

Post Thanks / Like
    first thing I see... TAKE YOUR WATCH OFF!! If your wrist comes down just a little more you`ll be asking how your wet sanding technique looks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not familiar with the 1Z polishes, I don`t know how severe are your swirls, nor do I know if your pad was already primed with product, but from my experience with the polishes I use, my comments would be:

- overall ... NOT BAD IMO :waxing: :up

- agree with previous post ... remove all jewelry first

- distribute the product in a thin ring around the pad or 3 or 4 equally spaced dots instead of 1 single blob

- vary the amount of product as the pad is primed ... i.e. use more the first few passes and less as the pad is saturated

- clean your pad with a brush after every panel or as needed

- don`t work the polish that long because the polishes I use would have been fully broken down a little sooner than that. also, you don`t want to dry buff.

- start with more pressure and lighten up to light pressure for the last pass or two

- feel the panel... it should be only SLIGHTLY warm, not really hot or very warm at all

- slow your arm speed down just a LITTLE ... at some points your moving the buffer at a pretty good rate, but at a few points it got just a little quick or "jiggy" .... overall not really bad though IMO.

I`m sure somebody else will chime in and give completely opposite advice

Post Thanks / Like
    @matrix_808 For Greece 60 euro for a polisher (about 85$) it is cheap. A makita costs 275 euro (about 385$). here is the internal of the polisher (I was curious so I just take it apart)

@never gone Ι know (about the watch) my bad

@smprice1 thx for the advices. I do not expect to learn buffing via Internet but I just wanted to know if I am doing something completely wrong. Your post is great help for me .

-I will try the ring method.

-The pad was primed. (I have realized that the first time you should use more product)

-I will brush the pad. (only one panel this time so no need)

-You have right I may have dry buffed . ( Having seen so many videos with PC I thought that I should buff and buff and buff before polish break down)

-I apply medium pressure the first two passes when the speed is still low and then very little pressure (when the speed is high)

-No hot panels (I checked)

-That was the most helpful I wanted to know if I was moving too fast or too slow

Post Thanks / Like
    Be sure to get a few extra sets of those brushes. It is a pain when they burn out and you have to wait a week for the local store to order them.
    mobile auto detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    It came with an extra set of brushes and rotary sees to little action so I am ok for now

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the color - very cool.

You may want to drape the cord over your shoulder - you dont want a power cord dragging on the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    smprince handled just about everything I could think of and is good advice.

After looking at your video I think your technique looks good - especially if you`re new to the machine. I work the product a little slower but that`s just me and it also depends on the product/pad/work area.

Between the color of the vehicle and the lighting angle of the video I can`t tell how the product is breaking down. Einszett MP is rich in lubricants and contains some carnauba however when I`ve used it it flashed over a bit quicker for me although you may have more on the pad than I can tell from the video.

In summary, I move a little slower with my lateral motions, keep the pad flat and check for heat when your first starting out.

Post Thanks / Like
    lol are u wearing headphones?
    2011 Winter Frost Nissan Maxima SV-Sport

2012 Black Toyota Highlander Limited

Club: Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselMDX
    lol are u wearing headphones?

Detailing is a hobby for me so I can use some music from my ipod

In summary so far the most important

1) Remove watch

2) Move a bit slower

3) Work the polish less.

thx guys

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d run the ipod wires up the inside of your shirt. I saw a guy at work get the wires in the buffer and ripped the earphones out of his ears and broke his Ipod....luckily he was alright though...just a little shaken.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry if off topic, but I just kind of want to know what you were listening to on the headphones. Just to get a feel for what is "now" in Greece in terms of music. Sorry!

Post Thanks / Like
    was shuffle greek and foreign music. Are you from Greece or somehow connected to?

Thread Information