Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    So I`ve been wanting a rotary for a while... but was afraid to make the leap. I`ve been polishing with my 7424 using Green (medium) and Blue (polish) Edge pads. My polishes have been Poorboys SSR 1 and SSR 2.5.

I got pretty good results on the cars I did, but the PC just takes a long time! Also the vibration gets annoying after 5-6 hours of use.

I didn`t want to spend too much on a rotary in case I just didn`t like it. So... after reading various rotary posts on this site and watching Youtube videos (the Meguiars 5 parts series and more), I decided to start on the cheap and get a $20 Chicago Rotary at our local Harborfreight store. Pretty sturdy device, definitely worth $20 to start try out a rotary. No soft start, and it does bog down.

As for the polishes... my head was spinning as to what I should choose. Optimum, Menzerna, Meguiars... something else? I noticed the System One site. It really looked like snakeoil... the videos showed `noobs` with a rotary just going at it. Scary! The X3 polish did get some good reviews though, and the pad you get is a genuine Edge pad (blended wool on one side, white wave foam on the other).

So after $90 for the kit and $20 for the rotary, I`m ready to go! We have a $500 `95 Dodge Neon commuter we bought off Craigslist. The car definitely had swirls galore and looked very faded. Great car to try out a rotary! Here thus the results: (please keep in mind this is my first time using a rotary)

The paint is in pretty bad shape:

SWIRLS!

From this:

To this: (2 passes with the wool side, one pass with the foam side)

Reflection before:

Reflection after:

50/50: (some deeper scratches remain after 2 passes... and next time I`m gonna tape off the trim :grinno: )

After:

For comparison, I also used my 7424. This was after a pass with SSR 2.5 on blue (not enough cut), then a pass with SSR 2.5 on green, and SSR 1 on blue to finish. It looked pretty good, but there were tiny scratches left that the Rotary was able to get rid of. This is the portion from the 7424:

So what do I think of `System One`? Thoughts:

- It`s easy to work with. The wool side has quite a bit of cut, and the foam finishes off nicely.

- The paint didn`t get very hot. This must be due to the wool blend and the `Wave` foam side.

- The rotary is much smoother than the PC, however I can see that it likes to move, grab and skip around. The foam side more so than the wool. The PC is more forgiving.

- The polish finishes off very nicely, and is easy to wipe off. Trim cleans off easily with water.

- I believe that there are definitely compounds out there that have more cut than X3 with the wool. But as is, the rotary with X3 and wool was more effective than the PC with a green pad and SSR 2.5.

- I didn`t burn through any paint! System One claims that this system is `burn proof` but I`d rather err on the cautious side

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are some awesome correction results that you got there. Seems like you got a winning combination.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow!

Post Thanks / Like
    How much faster did you get your results using the rotary? It looks like you had to do 3 sets with the rotary and 2-3 with PC (couldn`t tell if you did 2 or 3). Just curious how much time it the rotary saved you.....cause for $110, that`s a killer setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say that the rotary was about twice as fast for me. The PC on speed 6 is pretty fast, but it still takes many more passes to break down the polish.

However wouldn`t mind getting the 6" wool/foam pad for the rotary. The 8" is good for large flat surfaces but gets a bit unwieldy in tigher spots. (bottom of doors for example)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Radian78

However wouldn`t mind getting the 6" wool/foam pad for the rotary. The 8" is good for large flat surfaces but gets a bit unwieldy in tigher spots. (bottom of doors for example)

From what I read on another site Edge is supposed to be making 6 and 4 inch pads for System One.

Post Thanks / Like
    the correction is really good. nice job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn that looks good!:buffing: You did a fantastic job with those swirls.
    K3AKE 147.555

Post Thanks / Like
    looks fantastic !!!! Great results for your first time.
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    system one eh...? maybe i`ll get the pads...
    -Sam

Serving Northern California (East Bay) from

San Francisco, Berkeley, to San Jose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini13
    From what I read on another site Edge is supposed to be making 6 and 4 inch pads for System One.

6" pads are in!!!

4 1/2" and 6" Wool / Foam Combo Pads now in stock!!!
    K3AKE 147.555

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by netspec
    Sweet. I just got my pro kit a couple days ago and have been waiting for these to come out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the comments Yeah I may get me some of those smaller pads. Since both my PC and Rotary use the Edge system, I could also try my blue 6" polishing pad with the X3. I`d rather not try the green pad on the rotary... the foam is pretty stiff; for compounding I`m pretty sure I prefer the wool.

Post Thanks / Like
    thats awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    using a rotary isn`t hard. i first used one when i was 14. it was a one speed, 1750rpm black and decker automobile rotary. it was a simple concept and after a single car my techniques was already 100x better. at first you may try to fight the rotary but you will eventually just work into a grove and feel the proper way to do it. it almost has very little to do with your sense of sight or sound.

i know that you can do damage with a rotary but really more people shouldn`t be so hesitant to use them. it doesn`t really take hundreds of cars to learn like a lot of people around here say. you will keep getting better but you will also do a fairly good job in no time.

also i think red is a very nice color to learn on. its not as difficult as black so you will build confidence yet it is still fairly easy to see swirls. the first car i ever used a rotary on was a red pickup truck and i was damn proud.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information