Post Thanks / Like
    I am new to "Machine Polishing"(other than cheapo type Harbor Freight orbital) and will be receiving my Flex and an assortment of pads very soon. I have many detailing products that I apply by hand but have never used a Polish, Compound, or PaintCleaner other than Klasse AIO (by hand).

I would like some product suggestions to look into (I`m overwhelmed...so many products, some for hard paint, some soft, etc).

I will start with my wife`s car (2004 Lexus LX 470, 50,000miles). Black paint, no swirls as it has always been hand washed and waxed. It sees occasional claying but does have contaminants. It is always outdoors and does have a few scratches as well as microscratches. I need help selecting a polish or paint cleaner and which pads to use with it.

Also, should I use the Flex with a bonnet (or something) to buff off wax or still use a microfiber cloth by hand?

Post Thanks / Like
    The menzerna products are always a favorite . I personally use their Intensive polish, final polish, and micro polish followed up by whatever LSP works for you (there are a million opinions). You will get lots of suggestions for the Super Intensive Polish, but personally i have never used it. I have a flex and personally buff off by hand. most products you use you will find that they are very very easy coming off, so there is no need to buff off with a bonnet.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you`re not experienced with a machine polisher, I recommend you not use it on your wifes black car on the first try. If it don`t have swirl now, it will have. Really, you should start on an old car of some kind to get the feel. If the buffer gets away from you, you`ll dent the hood. Good luck. Once you get it though, you`ll be hooked.
    Lots of project cars and trucks at VprojectCar an online auction.

Springfield Mo auto detail

Post Thanks / Like
    So being a novice and using the Flex, I have decreased my chances of burning the paint but not significantly reduced the chance of swirls? Please advise and elaborate, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it dosen`t have swirls or scratches DO NOT EVER PUT A MACHINE TO THE PAINT!!!!!. the old addage here if it ain`t broke don`t try and fix it. Buffinf paint should always always always be last resort only. So many people on here get all up in arms about the great paint corrections they`ve done or seen. which is all fine and dandy to paint that actually needed corrected. If your paint is blemish free already don`t go putting blemishes into it. If you`re all geeked to use the new toy try it out on a test panel. Got a riding lawn mower? or some other painted metal surface? Don`t marr up perfectly good paint because you got a new tool to correct it. Just not good sense there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakerooni
    If it dosen`t have swirls or scratches DO NOT EVER PUT A MACHINE TO THE PAINT!!!!!. the old addage here if it ain`t broke don`t try and fix it. Buffinf paint should always always always be last resort only. So many people on here get all up in arms about the great paint corrections they`ve done or seen. which is all fine and dandy to paint that actually needed corrected. If your paint is blemish free already don`t go putting blemishes into it. If you`re all geeked to use the new toy try it out on a test panel. Got a riding lawn mower? or some other painted metal surface? Don`t marr up perfectly good paint because you got a new tool to correct it. Just not good sense there.

why would you think is car is even close to blemish free? 04, black, 50000 miles

you make a good point but I don`t see what it has to do with the OP`s question

to the OP if you could post a pic of your car I would love to see a full sun shot

of 4 year old black paint the that was never polished and is swirl free

Post Thanks / Like
    Still, putting a machine on a nice car with no experience is a questionable decision.
    Lots of project cars and trucks at VprojectCar an online auction.

Springfield Mo auto detail

Post Thanks / Like
    If I understand it correctly, the flex has an orbital rotation (along with forced rotation). I thought that this would greatly reduce the chance of incurring swirls. Is that not the case?

The paint has no swirls....but is not in great shape. To make a long story short...that was my first ever brand new car (no one elses dings, neglect or damage to look at, a nice clean slate). At the 1,000 mile inspection that Lexus offered, they washed the truck. They left micro scratches on every single panel. Either from a rough auto car wash, a stiff bristled brush, or a gritty shammy. I fought tooth and nail with Lexus for over 6 months and finally got a brand new truck out of it. Since then I babied it....until Katrina. We evacuated in it to Atlanta, which was during peak Love Bug season. I had no oppurtunity to wash it for some time. My OCD care diminished gradually after that. So the paint has never seen a rotary (therefore no swirls), but it is an everyday car with scratches etc..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FishWagon
    If I understand it correctly, the flex has an orbital rotation (along with forced rotation). I thought that this would greatly reduce the chance of incurring swirls. Is that not the case?

The paint has no swirls....but is not in great shape. To make a long story short...that was my first ever brand new car (no one elses dings, neglect or damage to look at, a nice clean slate). At the 1,000 mile inspection that Lexus offered, they washed the truck. They left micro scratches on every single panel. Either from a rough auto car wash, a stiff bristled brush, or a gritty shammy. I fought tooth and nail with Lexus for over 6 months and finally got a brand new truck out of it. Since then I babied it....until Katrina. We evacuated in it to Atlanta, which was during peak Love Bug season. I had no oppurtunity to wash it for some time. My OCD care diminished gradually after that. So the paint has never seen a rotary (therefore no swirls), but it is an everyday car with scratches etc..

I think I see the problem

what you are calling "micro scratches" we here refer to as swirls

swirls: http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-p...test-spot.html

and what a rotary in the wrong hands makes are holograms not "swirls"

holograms: http://autopia.org/forum/car-detaili...html?highlight

so yes the flex is a good choice for removing your swirls with out creating holograms

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, thanks for the clarification and sorry that my terminology is lacking.

#1 So it seems that with the FLEX, I (the machine noob that I am), can safely polish (strongly leaning towards the Menzerna products) the black SUV with low risk of hologramming etc. Sorry to beat a dead horse but the responses were definitely mixed.

Question #2...."My" truck is a flawless 2007 Slate Metallic Tundra CrewMax. Since day 1 it has been treated to Clay, AIO, Jeff`s AJT, Collinite. It routinely sees Aquawax, Surf City Garage Glass Cleaner, Surf City Wheel Cleaner, Curf City tire dressing, 303, Megs Quick Int. Detail....well you get the point. All done by hand. Should I switch to using the Flex on this vehicle or not until I aquire....I hate to say it, some visible defects?

thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FishWagon
    Ok, thanks for the clarification and sorry that my terminology is lacking.

#1 So it seems that with the FLEX, I (the machine noob that I am), can safely polish (strongly leaning towards the Menzerna products) the black SUV with low risk of hologramming etc. Sorry to beat a dead horse but the responses were definitely mixed.

Question #2...."My" truck is a flawless 2007 Slate Metallic Tundra CrewMax. Since day 1 it has been treated to Clay, AIO, Jeff`s AJT, Collinite. It routinely sees Aquawax, Surf City Garage Glass Cleaner, Surf City Wheel Cleaner, Curf City tire dressing, 303, Megs Quick Int. Detail....well you get the point. All done by hand. Should I switch to using the Flex on this vehicle or not until I aquire....I hate to say it, some visible defects?

thanks again

1.) I don`t think the flex can cause holigrams, so no need to worry about that

but...it does have enough power to burn the paint so you will need to be careful

read , ask questions, and read some more

2.) for me I would wait for defects that is where the machine really shines

and I like to apply LSP by hand

Thread Information