Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted to update this thread. I found a comparison done between the Flex and the Ridgid.

(QUOTE)I concurr on Flex being easier to control in forced mode than Festool (or 1250DEVS or BO6040 for that matter). IIRC if you search for my posts (don`t remember on which board) you will find my complaints on "vertical" designs that "want to get from under you" and my liking that Flex is "horizontal design" (plus bail handle and longer handle help).

Yes, Festool in pure random mode is smoother than Ridgid in 1/4" mode, but not by huge margin IMHE, plus in 1/8" mode I find Ridgid smoother than even Festool. I still haven`t experienced what you are describing as sharp quick vibrations with Ridgid, I will keep "looking" for them. In the end it might be as simple as fact that no two bodies are identical, that what irritates one person does not irritate other, or even simpler, that one you picked up was not as good out of the box as one I picked up. Personally I like my Ridgid as much as I like my Flex, if not more.(end quote)

For someone wanting some more power than a PC but don`t want to spend $300 for a Flex the Ridgid 2611 or Metabo SXE 450 is worth considering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can the dust collection system be removed from the the 2611?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigChevMan

Yes. I just never attached mine and everything worked fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bringing this one back from the dead Let`s hear some more feedback as I`m very interested in the 2611.

This looks like a great product that has some serious OPM, I also like the lifetime warranty and if it craps out I can take it back around the corner from me with no down time.

Do I just have to buy 6.5 inch pads for this and I`m ready to go or will I need an adapter like with the porter cable if bought from Lowes?
    03 BMW M3 - SMG, 19" Hamann wheels

05 Cherokee - V8, 4x4 Quadra Trac II, 285/65/18, Nav+DVD

03 Mustang GT 5-Speed - Blower and a lot more

Post Thanks / Like
    6.5" pads and you`re ready to go. It has a velcro hook attachment built into the supplied plate.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought a 2611 a month or so ago so I`ll share my findings. As stated above 6.5" pads work fine out of the box. You`re limited on changing backing plates though. The backing plate on the 2611 has 4 mounting points as opposed to the 1 used by the PC. Wannafbody found a 5" Ryobi backing plate at Home Depot that uses 4 mounting points and I saw the same one at my local store. I compared it to the display model 2611 and it looks like it would fit. Now, I`m not sure I would try it with the 2611 as there`s a guard/casing that surrounds the stock backing plate. With a smaller backing plate installed, you could possibly hit/scrape your car with that guard if you`re not careful. It may work fine too...I don`t know.

Also regarding the warranty, don`t know if you`ve looked into this already, but Ridgid`s lifetime warranty only covers defects in labor or materials and does not cover standard wear and tear. So, although "lifetime" sounds impressive, don`t think that you`ll never have to pay for repairs down the road. Additionally, you either have to send it in to Ridgid for service or take it to one of their authorized repair centers. Based on some posts in the Ridgid forums, Home Depot won`t do anything for you once you`ve owned it for 30 days or more. In any case, I would spend some time on the Ridgid site if you haven`t already. The complete warranty is posted and you can look up the authorized service centers in your area. The 2611 manual is also available there too. (I personally found it useful when trying to decide what to buy)

In any case, hope this helps make a more informed decision.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure about the german one but,

I absolutely hated the one i bought from home depot (2611). Granted i was using it to sand wood floors. I brought it back the next day.

some more info on my floor sanding at Welcome to moogoob.com. click the read more part for the quick review on the sander.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: interesting info on Rigid 2610 (german model)

Sorry, I`m going to bring this thread back from the way, super-dead.

Hello everybody, I`d like to start by thanking ya`ll for all of the great information. I`m getting really close to pulling the trigger and just about ready to get started in taking better care of my automotive investments. I especially thought that this would be a great opportunity for my first post because I think that I can actually contribute something. I came across this thread in my research for the best DA polisher for my buck. I wanted to get the Porter Cable, because it seemed to be the holy grail of auto detailers everywhere, but I also wanted to go with the Ridgid due to the Lifetime Service Agreement (LSA) from Home Depot.

Here is what I wanted to share. I am literally the guy who does your warranty (or not) repairs on small engines and power tools when you bring tools and equipment to Home Depot. I`m not the dude behind the tool center counter, but the guy in a Home Depot plant that those dudes send tools that they can`t repair to. Despite the appearance of being "too good to be true", you wouldn`t believe the condition of the tools that I repair under the LSA. Some people just about smash these Ridgids into smithereens, throw them in a fire, boil the ashes in water until the liquid is evaporated away, and then, finally, stick the remains in a box with a comment that says "trigger broke" before sending them off to the Home Depot plant. That unit was also probably 18 years old too. When I get these units, after shaking my head in awe of the moment, it`s simple. If the parts are available, I`ll fix it. If they`re discontinued, I`ll order a unit replacement that`s the current model. The customer gets no charge at all. Now I`m not saying that Ridgid makes the best tools, but that LSA is amazing. Beware though, if you send a tool in during the summer, it could take a looooong time before you get it back.

I know I sound like a walking billboard, but that LSA is for real - I swear! But a question that I`d really like to ask this community is if the Porter Cable 7424XP polishing performance is substantially better than the Ridgid R26111 (while considering the LSA). Has anyone compared the two while polishing a car before?
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hell of a 1st post

One of the best I have ever seen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigChevMan View Post
    Yes, you have to do it with a hacksaw. I just got one of these and I found two things necessary. The aluminum tube that comes out the side will hit the paint if you don`t cut it off at the edge of the backing plate.. Take off the backing plate and remove the plastic dust cover. It screws onto the bell housing and it keeps air from being sucked in around the backing backing plate - which is great if you`re using sandpaper with holes in it and doing wood working but the machine will run much cooler if you take it off.

The only thing I use this for is applying sealant - Menzerna Power Lock - and I apply the Power Lock using an orange foam sponge at the upper range of the speed and with the 1/4 inch throw. This does generate a bit of heat at the surface but the results are impressive.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

wmchoi---For a few dollars more you can get the Griots Garage DA which has an 8mm orbit and is primarily for auto polishing. It also has a lifetime warranty and Griots has excellent customer service. Equipped with a 5" backing plate and 5 or 5.5" pads it can handle anything you throw at it with the right polish.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson
    Likes Junebug liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pwaug View Post
    wmchoi---For a few dollars more you can get the Griots Garage DA which has an 8mm orbit and is primarily for auto polishing. It also has a lifetime warranty and Griots has excellent customer service. Equipped with a 5" backing plate and 5 or 5.5" pads it can handle anything you throw at it with the right polish.
    The Griot`s is strong. I polished right through the paint on our 2012 Honda Odyssey.
    —  Jaddie

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav. (mine)
    2016 Ford Escape Titanium (hers)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaddie View Post
    The Griot`s is strong. I polished right through the paint on our 2012 Honda Odyssey.
    With any DA it is dificult to polish through the paint unless you really, really try and use very poor technique. I started machine polishing with a GG6 as a complete newbie 6 years ago and have never had a problem, never damaged paint and have had excellent results since day one. But, I did allot of reading, watching videos and communicating with many who knew what they were doing before I ever picked up the polisher.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information