Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DAS Pad Life

Post Thanks / Like
    So I ordered the UDM kit that came with the DAS pads. The orange pad was used twice (once to work on my car and once on a GN). I cleaned the pads before I ever used them with Dawn. When I went to use the orange pad for the second time foam started flying everywhere. The pad pretty much tore apart right before my eyes (will post pictures in the morning). When I went to use the Blue pad (which had never been used only cleaned) it did the same thing. Is this normal for pads? Should I make a couple of calls to find out what the deal is or did I mess the pads up by cleaning them before I used them? Oh and don`t go trying to find replacement pads in your home town cause it`s just not possible. I spent most of the day doing just that and didn`t find anythign smaller than an 8 inch 3M pad. I didn`t order any new ones because I need replacements by Saturday and paying for overnight shipping is just a pain. Any and all help on this issue is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you are out of luck for saturday. I would call the place you order from and tell them. I am sure they will send out replacements.

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s weird. I`ve used mine multiple times (and washed) and they still look like when I pulled them out of their origional baggies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious, did you use a brush like this to do the cleaning?

Whenever I use this brush, it chews up my pads. The bristles are way too hard for foam.

The only other time my foam pad gets chewed up is if I hit something sharp while buffing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackElantraGT
    Just curious, did you use a brush like this to do the cleaning?

Whenever I use this brush, it chews up my pads. The bristles are way too hard for foam.

The only other time my foam pad gets chewed up is if I hit something sharp while buffing.

I`ll give autopia a call later today (insomnia can be tough). I used a soft bristled brush to clean the pads up. Take it that was the wrong thing to do.

I`m sure I`m out of luck for Saturday. Just how things go. Next week is supposed to be nice as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    i use a toothbrush to clean my pads
    2011 Winter Frost Nissan Maxima SV-Sport

2012 Black Toyota Highlander Limited

Club: Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    call around the paint supply places. might be able to find pads there.

also i hear orielly`s sells lake pads as some other name call there if there is one around you.

sorry to hear about that. try lake pads next time u buy pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemissGTO
    I`ll give autopia a call later today (insomnia can be tough). I used a soft bristled brush to clean the pads up. Take it that was the wrong thing to do.

I`m sure I`m out of luck for Saturday. Just how things go. Next week is supposed to be nice as well.
    I use a medium iron style carpet brush, I use my pads probably 30 times before they are dead and it is usually because the velcro comes off, if you catch them on something the tears the pad they will deteriate much faster

Post Thanks / Like
    i had something similar happen to my white das pad, well didnt really care for it anyway:hmph: But not I just wash them and no brushes, except i just got the roller style tool, kinda nervous so i`ll try it on the white pad thats allready chewed up. Mine just tried to rip the little grooves off, dont think my new ccs pads will have the same prob

Post Thanks / Like
    did you rinse ALL the dawn out of them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJimZ28
    did you rinse ALL the dawn out of them?
    Yes I did. They just came apart.

Sadly I didn`t get a chance to call about the pads today. I ended up washing and waxing two Toyota`s that need even more help. I`ve gotta remember that some people aren`t as particular about their cars as I am...LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    The white pad that came with my UDM didn`t last very long for me before it started coming apart, but the LC CCS pads that I got at the same time (and have used for a much longer amount of time too) are still going strong and show no signs of wear at all! I think they are fantastic!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman
    The white pad that came with my UDM didn`t last very long for me before it started coming apart, but the LC CCS pads that I got at the same time (and have used for a much longer amount of time too) are still going strong and show no signs of wear at all! I think they are fantastic!

I`m going to order a CCS kit today.

Post Thanks / Like
    i had the same problem when i used te DAS orange pad, fresh out the bag it came in, no cleaning it,used #80 with it, and foam crumbs ended up all over the car, i had to blow it all off with an air nozzle...

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same problem with the white UDM Scratchbuster pad, used with the UDM. I didn`t pre-clean the pad, just used it one day on one car. The next day on a second car, I started seeing these little "pills," and at first, I thought I was using too much product or something, and it was throwing off little balls of gummed up stuff. I was shocked to realize it was the pad foam from where the lines of foam that form the `pockets.` It was just crumbling up and ripping off. A green pad (also with the pockets) used with the same products on the same cars with the UDM and cleaned the same way had no trouble, and is still going strong.

I e-mailed Lynn, who replaced the pad after asking me to explain how I used it and cleaned it. I asked if I had done something to cause the pad to destruct, but got no answer to that. Maybe they got a batch of brittle foam or something. This was back in late June, early July. The white Scratchbuster is a lot stiffer foam than the green.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information