Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    How can this be possible... We did my gf`s mercedes last weekend, followed the exact same routine, exact same product!

Ok, here is what I did to my poor car today..

1). Wash (lambs wool, two bucket method); dry with silcone water blade and then micro-fiber towel

2). Repeat step one above (car was really dirty to start with so decided to wash twice)

3). Since I clayed it less than 6 months ago and the paint felt ok, I decided not to clay.

4). I proceeded to prep the paint for SSR2.5. Wiped down the hood with a quick detailer to make sure it`s 100% clean.

5). SSR2.5 onto an Edge Blue pad (light cut). First on 3 to spread it out evenly on a 2X2 area; then to 5 with slow vertical and horizontal passes. Did this for about 4 minutes.

6). Wiped area off with a terry cotton towel. This is when, to my horror, I saw TONS of circular patterned swirls on the area.

7). I thought, ok, maybe I need to follow up with SSR1.0 fist before I judge. So out came the Edge white pad (finishing pad). Same procedure as (5) above.

The result was the same... SWIRLS GALORE!!!

Worse than before I started!!!!

How can this be?!!? I am sooooooo frustrated. And confused. On my gf`s BLACK mercedes last weekend, the results came out pretty good, got rid of 80-90% of the swirls. Again, same products, same technique.

Am I missing something here?!? Someone please offer some tips and ideas of what I am doing wrong...

I took some pics of the swirls, will post later tonight when I get home.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m no expert at all when it comes to this but I to saw more scratches in my paint with Edge last week. However I think I narrowed it down, I think a piece of dirt or something got caught on the pad thus causing the swirl marks with the pads. Also I may be wrong but shouldn`t you use a more aggressive pad with SSR 2.5? The blue is more like the white LC pad, no?

-Brett
    2011 WRB Subaru WRX Sedan

Post Thanks / Like
    Edge blue is finishing pad...yellow and green are polishing pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by derekbmw

Ahh yes with orange being their most aggressive. I`m new to the Edge system, have one of each color but only used once. That would explain why Pro-Polish didn`t do anything on blue
    2011 WRB Subaru WRX Sedan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by derekbmw

True... I probably should have used a medium cut pad with the SSR2.5... but still, using the blue pad should not introduce new swirls to a clean car, right?

I am stumped.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LSB M
    True... I probably should have used a medium cut pad with the SSR2.5... but still, using the blue pad should not introduce new swirls to a clean car, right?

I am stumped.

I think it could if the abrasives are bigger, as in a heavier cutting polish like 2.5 and the light polishing pad doesn`t break them down. Someone correct me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Since it`s already so late, I won`t have a chance to fix the problem until saturday. Argh, I can tell, this is doing to drive me nuts for the next 2 days!

:sadpace:

Post Thanks / Like
    Since it`s already so late, I won`t have a chance to fix the problem until saturday. Argh, I can tell, this is doing to drive me nuts for the next 2 days!

:sadpace:

I know how u feel, OCD hahha

Nice Username BTW :clap:
    08 BMW M5

06 Honda S2000

05 Acura TSX

02 BMW M3

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m no expert on PB SSR, but have been told that the work time on the SSR products is very long. You need to really work the SSR to break down the polish. Otherwise, the polish will induce swirls.

That said, how long did you work the SSR? Try a smaller section and work the polish longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love to speculate, so just my kind of thread SSR polishes work very quickly in my experience. You used a soft pad with a medium cut polish and worked it a long time for this particular polish (remember, all speculation here.) So maybe the polish didn`t break down, but it dried up from the long work time, and then you ground it around some more with a terry towel, thus inducing the swirls. If you were using too much product, this scenario would be even worse. Just a thought ...

Post Thanks / Like
    did you wash the pads after doing your gf car?

also try using a microfiber to wipe down, and spritz the panel with a light mist of water or 50/50

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by elitemobile
    did you wash the pads after doing your gf car?

also try using a microfiber to wipe down, and spritz the panel with a light mist of water or 50/50

We did, but it had been sitting for about 4-5 days before we gave it a good sparydown. Did not soak the pads though... just sprayed it real good and then gently squeezed the water out followed by a quick spin at 3 to get the excess water out...

I *thought* that cleaned it, but here`s the update... when we got home late last night, I out the *other* cleaned pad (we cleaned 2 but I only used one) in a clean bucket of water and to my amazement, some "stuff" came out into the water (very tiny particles, I guess dried up polish). It wasn`t a lot, but I could certainly tell that some particles came off in the warm water.

Looks like my improper pad washing technique could have introduced the swirls... what do you guys think!?

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like my improper pad washing technique could have introduced the swirls... what do you guys think!?

YEP......sounds like it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok guys, tell me how bad this looks and if another routine with the SSR with new pads this time can save it!

The first is a "before" pic, everything else "after".

Post Thanks / Like
    You have found the answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information