Thread: bmw issues =\

Post Thanks / Like
    hey guys, i did a bmw 325xi yesterday, and was not pleased with the results. I must have been doing something wrong, since the Menzerna IP just wasn`t working right. rather, i wasn`t working the IP right. After wash and clay, i applied IP via PC @ 3, then turned it up to 6 once polish was spread evenly. Afterwards, i applied FPII via pc@ 4-5 and there was still spiderwebbing. What should i do? i finished it up with klasse AIO and called it a day since i was too tired to SG it. that`ll come tomorrow.

The owner told me he was very pleased once again with the results and that the car came out great, just as he expected, but i hate delivering cars that I`M not pleased with.

Post Thanks / Like
    oh yeah i used a yellow CCS lake county pad with the IP, and a white one with the FPII.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was it a metallic color? I have a Steel Grey Metallic BMW and I have very difficult time correcting the paint with a PC. I am guessing the clear is pretty hard.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Or the swirls were too deep to be removed with one pass
    Phoenix & Scottsdale Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    it was that dark blue metallic; i figured the clear was pretty hard and some of the swirls were pretty deep.

Post Thanks / Like
    also, the last time i did the car, i used Meg`s Gold Class paste on top of Zymol cleaner wax; i think maybe the combination filled the swirls last time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes you need more than one pass. If you are using 6" pads on a 5.5" backing plate, maybe you should try 4" pads on a 3.5" backing plate. Makes correction a lot easier. I use Menzerna IP with a orange lc pad and found it has plenty of cut to it. Make sure you are working the polish long enough. Good luck bro.

Oh yeah, how bad did the IP dust on you?

Post Thanks / Like
    wait.. let me guess this straight. you guys say you can usually get light swirls out with one pass on a orbitor?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Reflectionz
    wait.. let me guess this straight. you guys say you can usually get light swirls out with one pass on a orbitor?
    "Pass" in this case meaning one complete application of polish to a section (buffing until the polish is broken down), not just moving the buffer over a section of paint a single time. And yeah, it`s pretty easy to correct light swirls on most finishes with a Porter Cable or Cyclo. There are some *very* hard clearcoats that will be an exception, but with the right pad, polish, and patience, most paint can be corrected with an orbital.

Post Thanks / Like
    Join the club dude..... I have a 2002 BMW M3 and its a B***H. I have the same problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    It could also be that the IP isn`t aggressive enough for what you are trying to remove. You may need something a bit more aggressive, like Power Gloss. If you don`t have PG then it might not be a bad idea to check out your local PepBoys and see if you can pick up some 3M Perfect It II rubbing compound. It is a great OTC product that cuts alot better than IP and the best thing is you won`t have to wait for it like you would if you don`t have PG. I would say that the abrasiveness of PG and the 3M is pretty similar.

And, as recommended previously, try and use the smaller pads as they do cut alot better than the larger ones with a PC. Keep in mind that you also need to apply quite a bit of pressure to the head of the PC while performing the initial corrective work then ease off gradually. Less is needed for the final polishing stage. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    i recently did a BMW light blue in color and it took an LC orange pad with EC on 1700 to get out the swirling with one pass, then megs 83, then rmg, then poorboys EX sealant with carnuba....results were great, but that was a long 3 hours...rotary with EC, pc speed 6 with 83 on a megs yellowto remove the hologram`s...

Post Thanks / Like
    How does HTEC compare to PG? I haven`t used the EC yet, but I hear it is very good.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never had much success on BMW`s using the PC - at least not in the time given for a detail. I now usually just go straight to the rotary when I am working on a fairly swirled one. Even then they can take some work.

Thread Information